Memorial Day at Deer Camp

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Memorial Day at Deer Camp

Postby shaman » Tue May 27, 2014 7:11 am

The Rifle Opener is over 5 months away for me, but deer season is never wholly out of my mind.

We were down at camp this past weekend. Doing a whole bunch of stuff.

The salt licks needed to be refreshed. When I left at the end of Turkey Season, the fields were still a bit mushy for travel with the truck. I was back this weekend with 100 lbs of mixing salt. I'm down to two licks. It was amazing how much the deer had been hitting the licks already. One had dug an 18 inch hole, looking for a pocket of salt. I've been refreshing these licks now for 12 years. There is now enough salt in the ground that getting there first thing in March is no longer a necessity. In fact, I may skip a year at one of the sites and just see how it goes.

My method is to dig a trench about a spade length's depth and then pour in a bag of granules or pellets-- whatever's cheapest. I then chop up the spoil and put it back in, mixing in a bit of salt on top. I don't use exposed blocks. Burying the salt, makes the salt permeate the ground and in this causes the deer to work harder. They don't gorge on it as a result, and they also get some soil mixed in to add a bit of trace mineral.

So shaman, what happened to that fancy antler-recipe? Yes, I know, I used to recommend using di-calcium phospate, but I found that it was not as tasty for the deer. Pure NaCl does the job of habituating the does to a given area. Once I have the does squared away, the bucks come along.

More later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Re: Memorial Day at Deer Camp

Postby shaman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:22 pm

. . . so I'm back.

So what else did I do over Memorial Day?

1) I visited the ground blinds and double-checked everything. I'd left some folding chairs inside and those needed to be pulled out. I also checked the mouse poison.
2) I mowed a few trails-- yes, deer do just fine walking through tall grass, but they will get in the habit of walking along well-groomed paths. In 5 months it'll pay off.
3) With all the bullet and powder shortages, I decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and ordered a bullet puller for the reloading bench. I'm no longer just going to shoot up the loads that don't work out. I'm going to scavenge them for components.
4) I found some loose hunting clothes. Most of the stuff I'll be wearing come November is already packed away in sodium bicarbonate, but I found a few hats, gloves, and such. They all got the treatment. I also bagged up what was left of the turkey hunting duds and took them home. I'll get some of them ready for early season deer hunting.
5) I took an inventory of what I needed to get for the deer rifles and deer loads. If you use Hornady bullets, and haven't checked the list on what is no longer being made, do so. There are a lot of popular bullets on that list. My 165 gr .308 Interlocks are not going to be made into the forseeable future. I ordered 2 boxes of the .257 117gr SPBT's just in case. I also ordered a new scope for Angus' 30-06-- he's going to inherit my old Win 670 this year, but it needs a new scope.

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks for the update. Deer camp cabin, if one was so blessed to have one, would be a great place to spend the summer holidays!

Taking care of trails, blinds, and other things at this time of year is a good idea - there is plenty of time for things to settle down. Better now than waiting til the weekend before season opens.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu May 29, 2014 10:35 am

I'll be bringing the next generation onto the property for the first time this weekend. Lil Mooselette, the daughter of honorable #2 son, Mooseboy and his consort, Moosemama will arrive on Saturday. She's was 2 in February. She will have a tent all her own plus fairy wings, a wand, and her princess crown. We will hunt fireflies and take a hike out to the Big Tree (all of 200 yards). I will also set up the portable camp kitchen and let her pretend cook to her heart's content. She doesn't know it yet, but she already has a complete set of deer hunting and turkey hunting duds and all the necessary accessories set aside.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri May 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Well done Shaman, start 'em off young, loving the outdoors, and family time. Hunting will happen when they are ready to learn.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:36 am

Lil Mooselette came for a visit this weekend. Here are the pictures.

BTW: When I was taking the grand tour with the fairy princess, I stopped by one of the salt licks: deer had been hammering it all week, you couldn't tell I'd been digging there just 6 days previously.

Return to General Discussions