Close Call Deer Hunting? I was shot!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ambidextrous

Close Call Deer Hunting? I was shot!

Postby Ambidextrous » Sat May 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Have you guys ever had a close call with a hunter where you were dangerously close to being hit? Unfortunately, during the 3rd season of the 2012 Colorado deer hunt I was hit by another hunter as he/she attempted to harvest a doe.

Ohio farms

Re: Close Call Deer Hunting? I was shot!

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Can't say that I ever have had a close call, at least while hunting. I'd be interested in hearing the the rest of your story though.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 am

The first time I ever came really close was the 1996 Ohio Opener. I was hunting the east side of a shallow creek bottom. At sunrise a herd of doe came running up the creek on the far side-- about 50 yards away. They were running so fast, I held back shooting. They disappeared onto the neighbor's property on the west side. As soon as they disappeared from sight, a fusillade erupted from the other side of the fence. You could tell it was three hunters. One was shooting a semi-auto 12 (BLAM!BLAM!BLAM!) the next one had double (Bla-Blam!). The last had a pump (BLAM! . . .BLAM! . . .BLAM!) . The problem was they were all shooting directly at me. Luckily the treestand I was on was facing away, so I had the tree to shield me, but it wasn't quite wide enough. The closest round hit a dead limb a few feet away, and knocked it off.

In 2001, I was walking across the parking apron next to the house at deer camp. A round from waaaay off came wzzzzzzing just over my head, close enough that I could feel it on my hair.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:22 am

I have had bullets zing by fairly close on a few occasions. Thankfully I was never hit. According to stats at http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/LE0006_2012.pdf around 10% of deer-gun accidental shootings end up being fatal. The leading cause of accidental shootings is failure to identify the target. Next is hitting someone out of view.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:39 am

I watched a guy on a stand about 300 yards away shoot at a doe crossing a dirt road on the opposite side, away from me and some of the buckshot ricocheted off of the hard pan and actually hit in the trees above my spot. I've also been on a man drive with some guys on horseback when some buckshot hit a wood duck nesting box I was sitting behind. The rider swore he was shooting in the opposite direction at a buck that ended up going to my brother who was around the bend from me. My brother killed the deer and it didn't have any buckshot entry wounds on the side the rider claimed he was shooting at.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Yes. Several times over the years, I've had shots flying through the trees at me, one time that nearly fouled my britches.
I was bow hunting in full camo, in a pop up blind on public lands. (Never again)
Dawn rises, the deer start moving, and some yahoo gun hunting on the far side of the gulley, starts blasting at me!
I start yelling (@#%$&#@) but he can't hear anything over the noise he is making, so I did the only thing I could to stop this idiot, I put an arrow in the tree about three foot over his head (and off to the side a bit). He jumped, swore, and got up and left. I reclaimed my arrow a couple of hours later. (_I didn't want to show myself to this fool ).
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:16 pm

no wonder i shy away from public lands .... glad you were not hit ...

but for now this fall looks like i am going to be on public lands if i cannot find a private property to hunt :(
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

troutbum

Postby troutbum » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Reminds me when I was in Nam. You would hear the bullets buzz over head, then the leaves would start falling around you. That's when you figured it was getting personal. :)

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 am

What's the saying about hearing bullets? Something about never hearing the shot that kills you?
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Curious...What happened to the guy who posed the question?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to General Discussions