Summer Scouting Reports?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MZS

Summer Scouting Reports?

Postby MZS » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 am

Have you been out scouting in the early part of summer yet? Kind of hard to find trails as our deer numbers are so low, but I am finding old sign like droppings and old rub much easier than the trails themselves. I plan to set up some cameras soon. On some public land, I will be building a container out of natural materials to conceal the camera and prevent theft.

Post your report here.

rthomas4

Re: Summer Scouting Reports?

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:13 am

My cameras stay up year 'round, and I'm getting a lot of pictures. Plenty of does, fawns, yearlings, and bucks with developing racks.
The bad thing is that due to my eye surgery I haven't planted my food plots, yet; but the deer are still browsing the leftover and volunteer plants. I'm hoping to get the plots planted this month since we've been getting a lot of afternoon thunder showers the ground is in pretty good shape and some of the stuff I plan to plant should do fine and last well into the late fall.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Last week I removed my turkey hunting blind and noticed the trail that I raked clean of leaves so that I could get in my blind in the dark without alerting any turkeys in the area was covered with deer tracks. I'm thinking that I could use that technique of raking a narrow trail to my advantage this deer season.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:13 pm

I would have left the blind, and continued raking the area and possibly a few more trails in the vicinity while at it. Then come opening day, I'd be sitting in that blind if the tracks keep showing up and one or two of them happen to be big buck tracks.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I have a tree stand about 30 yds away from the ground blind. My plan is to intersect another trail back to that stand. I don't like to leave the ground blind out all year and would rather hunt deer in a tree stand rather than on the ground anyway.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 am

I haven't set foot in the woods since Turkey season ended.

I gave up my lease, i'll have to go back and get all my equipment.
Going public land now.
I won't really scout until I see if and where I get a permit.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to General Discussions