How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bioactive1

How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Postby bioactive1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:20 am

Outdoor activities and poison ivy go together like peas in a pod.

When I first retired and started doing serious deer habitat work, I ended up in the emergency room several times needing a prednisone series.

I decided I would either figure out how to deal with it or give up habitat work. It has been a few years since I have had a serious case, even though I work around it regularly. I no longer hesitate to cut a poison ivy vine or branch, because I know how to avoid serious harm.

I made this video to provide the information needed for you to never have a serious poison ivy reaction again.

The approach is almost so simple it seems dumb, but once you understand it and respond accordingly, you will no longer be concerned about being around PI.

VIDEO LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0

Jake09

Re: How to never get a serious poison ivy rash again

Postby Jake09 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:12 am

nice post.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:00 am

Nicely explained. Well done, sir.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:05 am

Good point about the oily nature. Water alone won't do it. Need soap and a washrag. Dish soap or hand soap would work good. I have done what this guy suggests to avoid poison ivy. And other times I did not :( Another good point was about how you can get it without actually touching the plant but merely touching something that was exposed to the plant like a tool or tire.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:12 am

If you can recognize poison ivy then you can avoid it...if you remain aware. Secondary exposure is a more difficult one to avoid. I have pretty much given up on squirrel hunting because of that. Those little buggers crawl around on it and can have the oil on their fur. I've gotten it twice from deer. I truly hate the stuff.
Good informative video Bioactive.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to General Discussions