Deer alarm sound??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
SoIll Dawg

Deer alarm sound??

Postby SoIll Dawg » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:31 pm

I will be honest, I do not hear deer make much noise.  Grunts, snorts or otherwise which is why I never call much.  I do hear the occasional sneeze (a sneeze is always entertaining whether human or animal[:D])

What I have been hearing confuses me.  I heard it for the 3rd time tonight.  First time was last year, second was a week ago.  What sound does a deer make when it alarms other deer to danger?  I have heard it referred to as a "snort", but man, what I am hearing is a far cry from a snort.

More like a crow being choked to death.  A big crow.  I know that is a bad description, but it is the closest I can relate to what I hear.  Every time I hear it, the deer high tail it out of the area.

Last week 5 does were feeding when one saw another hunter.  Then the "crow sound", then white tails flashing and deer running.  Tonight, I heard it far off, but the deer I was watching heard it and quickly moved into the woods.  I had been watching the doe for almost 45 minutes and it was feeding calmly.

Can anyone tell me what I am hearing and is it a "deer alarm"?

charlie 01

RE: Deer alarm sound??

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Hard to say without actually hearing it. There are some owls that make some wierd sounds, and I'm not talking about your normal hoot. Have heard some fox make some odd sounds. But I can't imagine a deer would panic from either of these. I'll assume you know what sounds a coyote makes. I've seen deer hytail it from their sounds in the area. Maybe talk to some of the people who live in the area, they may have an answer for you. 
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:32 am

It might me a predatorial animal. possibly a coyote. I never heard a deer make a noise you are describing and if its spooking the deer then its something worth looking into. It could be an owl, but i don't know if they would scare deer off. Maybe it could be one of those cougars that are running loose all over the upper midwest. I would search the internet and see if there is website that might have sound bytes of predator animals. Youtube might have something.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am

agree with Jslotter. Never heard that type of sound.

Vikinghater

Postby Vikinghater » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

In my professional opinoin I would have to say Bigfoot.  I have heard them once and a while when in the stand.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 am

Well, once I got busted by a herd of deer when one of them looked up & saw me in my tower stand ... perhaps I had a little too much corned beef & cabbage the night before ... anyway, the warning sound I heard sounded much more like, "Let's get the flock outta here." [8D]

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 am

I thought they sounded like Chewy from Star Wars>

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am

Last week 5 does were feeding when one saw another hunter. Then the "crow sound", then white tails flashing and deer running. Tonight, I heard it far off, but the deer I was watching heard it and quickly moved into the woods. I had been watching the doe for almost 45 minutes and it was feeding calmly.

Can anyone tell me what I am hearing and is it a "deer alarm"?

I think I have heard that before.  Last year when I flung an arrow at a nice buck it hit a twig and bounced over the top.

He ran maybe 50 yards all the time making that sound that is hard to describe.  He kept making it as he ran and as he stopped maybe 50-75 yards each time looking back trying to figure out where the shot noise came from.  All the time he kept making the sound.

So it sounds like that is what you heard and I would sure guess it was an alarm or warning sound.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Return to General Discussions