Homemade Deer Minerals

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
locoman1951

Homemade Deer Minerals

Postby locoman1951 » Sat May 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Do any of you hunters out there have a good formula for making your own minerals for a deer lick ... The ones you purchase at sporting good stores are getting to expensive to purchase I can hardly buy gas now days but I'm going hunting if I have to walk ...

fasteddie

RE: Homemade Deer Minerals

Postby fasteddie » Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 pm

This recipe for Deer Cocaine is a couple years old so the cost has probably gone up .........

[font=arial]WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.
[/font][/align]

Konk

Postby Konk » Wed May 21, 2008 11:27 am

I have used this recipe and the deer have dug a pretty good size hole. My question is....How benificial is this mix? I have never been able to get a straight answer to that question.
Member;
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Sticks N' Limbs Camo Prostaff
Carson-Optics Prostaff
www.bowhuntingstore.com

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:27 am

I would think the salt/sodium is more for an attractant/flavor and the calcium would be beneficial for antler growth,other types of minerals will also help in any antler growth and certain minerals will help the Doe's in milk production for when their fawns are born.

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:53 am

[font=tahoma]Konk,[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The above mix is very beneficial to the deer.  We use the same mix except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals.  It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Beef/ADE-Mineral.aspx[/font][font=tahoma]  The vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Calcium & Phosphorus are needed for antler growth and milk production in a 2:1 ratio.  The Di-Calcium Phosphate in the mix gives you this exact ratio.  (So does the ADE Mineral)[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The salt has some nutritional value, but as GTO said it is also an attractant.  We also mix in some granulated or dried molasses for extra attractant power.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs.  Di-Calcium Phosphate - $23 for 50 lbs / ADE Minerals - $22 for 50 lbs (you need two bags) / Stock Salt - $5 for a 50 lbs  (Dry molasses - $12 for 50 lbs)  It is still way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need!  We have 2 licks on our property.  We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the fall.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The following is a much better explanation that I quoted from this great article - [/font][font=tahoma]http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42096&pid=538271[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I hope this helps!!!  [/font]

[font=tahoma]FFKevin[/font]
[font=tahoma]
[hr]
[/font][font=tahoma]
Vitamins
[/font]

[left]
[font=tahoma]Vitamins are very important to the deer's diet because the organic compounds are needed to support all the deer's life stages. The level of vitamins A, D & E in your feed manages the deer's absorption of calcium and phosphorus affecting not only their skeletal structures and teeth, but also the buck's rack growth and the does fawning nutrition. Let's face it a lot of hunters are becoming to deer management what farmers are to cattle management. We want the highest quality product we can get, and that's large healthy bodies on our deer and we want large racks on our bucks. Along with the right genetics, here's what deer need:[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma][/font] [/left][left][font=tahoma]1. Vitamin A – The naturally occurring molecule also called retinoid. Affects the deer's [/font][font=tahoma]immune system, cellular function, normal vision, healthy skin and maintenance of the digestive and reproductive systems.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]2. Vitamin D – Responsible for getting the all important bone builders – calcium and phosphorus where they can aid bone health, plus antler development and growth. Without this key nutrient as part of your deer supplemental feed program you will NOT grow larger racks, so make sure your supplemental feeds contain vitamin D![/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]3. Vitamin E – Boosts the deer's immune system to fight off infectious diseases, helps them deal with stressful periods such as harsh winters, droughts and post rut stress, and also is an antioxidant which is associated with selenium.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma][/font] [/left][left][font=tahoma]Minerals[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]Minerals are important in a deer's diet because they are essential to antler, bone and tooth development, plus hormone activation and water balance.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma][/font] [/left][left][font=tahoma]Macro Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals that are needed in large amounts, includes; calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium and sulfur.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma][/font] [/left][left][font=tahoma]1. Calcium – Absorbed through the small intestines then into the bloodstream. Combines with phosphorus to help harden crystal-like substances that create the foundation which strong antler, bone and teeth are developed.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]2. Phosphorus - The second ½ of antler, bone and teeth formation combined with calcium. Important to help regulate the release of energy that fuels the deer's body. Most of a deer's phosphorus content is located in their bones. You don't want your bucks pulling nutrition out of their bones to grow their racks, hence the need for supplementation.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]3. Potassium – Critical to proper pH balance and an aid in digestion. Along with sodium chloride helps to form electrolytes, electrically charged ions that make up a deer's bodily fluids.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]4. Magnesium – Used to make sure calcium is used properly in the body, needed for strong teeth and bones. Helps turn food into energy, assists nerves and muscles.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]5. Sodium – A natural carrier needed for trace minerals. Helps with absorption of amino acids. Animals naturally desire the sodium and chloride found in salt, more so than any other mineral.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma]6. Sulfur – Helps in the digestion of foods, found in tendons, ligaments and cartilage.[/font][/left][left][font=tahoma][/font] [/left][left][font=tahoma]Trace Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals needed in much smaller amounts by deer. They are copper, iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine and selenium. These minerals are tied to all systems within the deer's natural development.[/left]
[hr]

[/font]

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:15 am

[font=tahoma]Here is a photo off my trail camera of 3 bucks hitting one of our licks.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Image[/font]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:59 pm

Kevin deer are alot different then cattle when it comes to what the eat and how they digest it. What proof can you give me that the minerals are indeed beneifiting the deer? 

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:33 pm

[font=tahoma]I thought I already did explain why deer need vitamins and minerals... [/font]
[font=tahoma] 

[hr]

[/font]

ORIGINAL: FFKEVIN

[font=tahoma]Konk,[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The above mix is very beneficial to the deer.  We use the same mix except we use a product called ADE minerals, in place of the trace minerals.  It has all the same trace minerals but also has Vitamin A, D, & E. [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Beef/ADE-Mineral.aspx[/font][font=tahoma]  The vitamins help the deer's body absorb the minerals.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Calcium & Phosphorus are needed for antler growth and milk production in a 2:1 ratio.  The Di-Calcium Phosphate in the mix gives you this exact ratio.  (So does the ADE Mineral)[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The salt has some nutritional value, but as GTO said it is also an attractant.  We also mix in some granulated or dried molasses for extra attractant power.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]An updated price for this mix is around $70 for 200 lbs.  Di-Calcium Phosphate - $23 for 50 lbs / ADE Minerals - $22 for 50 lbs (you need two bags) / Stock Salt - $5 for a 50 lbs  (Dry molasses - $12 for 50 lbs)  It is still way cheaper than you can buy any of the premixed commercial minerals and you know it has everything your deer need!  We have 2 licks on our property.  We put 50 lbs out in each lick in the spring and 50 lbs in each lick in the fall.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]The following is a much better explanation that I quoted from this great article - [/font][font=tahoma]http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=42096&pid=538271[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I hope this helps!!!  [/font]

[font=tahoma]FFKevin[/font]
[font=tahoma]

[hr]

[/font][font=tahoma]
Vitamins
[/font]

[align=left]
[font=tahoma]Vitamins are very important to the deer's diet because the organic compounds are needed to support all the deer's life stages. The level of vitamins A, D & E in your feed manages the deer's absorption of calcium and phosphorus affecting not only their skeletal structures and teeth, but also the buck's rack growth and the does fawning nutrition. Let's face it a lot of hunters are becoming to deer management what farmers are to cattle management. We want the highest quality product we can get, and that's large healthy bodies on our deer and we want large racks on our bucks. Along with the right genetics, here's what deer need:[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Vitamin A – The naturally occurring molecule also called retinoid. Affects the deer's [/font][font=tahoma]immune system, cellular function, normal vision, healthy skin and maintenance of the digestive and reproductive systems.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Vitamin D – Responsible for getting the all important bone builders – calcium and phosphorus where they can aid bone health, plus antler development and growth. Without this key nutrient as part of your deer supplemental feed program you will NOT grow larger racks, so make sure your supplemental feeds contain vitamin D![/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Vitamin E – Boosts the deer's immune system to fight off infectious diseases, helps them deal with stressful periods such as harsh winters, droughts and post rut stress, and also is an antioxidant which is associated with selenium.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Minerals are important in a deer's diet because they are essential to antler, bone and tooth development, plus hormone activation and water balance.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Macro Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals that are needed in large amounts, includes; calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium and sulfur.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]1. Calcium – Absorbed through the small intestines then into the bloodstream. Combines with phosphorus to help harden crystal-like substances that create the foundation which strong antler, bone and teeth are developed.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]2. Phosphorus - The second ½ of antler, bone and teeth formation combined with calcium. Important to help regulate the release of energy that fuels the deer's body. Most of a deer's phosphorus content is located in their bones. You don't want your bucks pulling nutrition out of their bones to grow their racks, hence the need for supplementation.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]3. Potassium – Critical to proper pH balance and an aid in digestion. Along with sodium chloride helps to form electrolytes, electrically charged ions that make up a deer's bodily fluids.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]4. Magnesium – Used to make sure calcium is used properly in the body, needed for strong teeth and bones. Helps turn food into energy, assists nerves and muscles.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]5. Sodium – A natural carrier needed for trace minerals. Helps with absorption of amino acids. Animals naturally desire the sodium and chloride found in salt, more so than any other mineral.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma]6. Sulfur – Helps in the digestion of foods, found in tendons, ligaments and cartilage.[/font][/align][align=left][font=tahoma][/font] [/align][align=left][font=tahoma]Trace Minerals: [/font][font=tahoma]Minerals needed in much smaller amounts by deer. They are copper, iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine and selenium. These minerals are tied to all systems within the deer's natural development.[/align]

[hr]

[/font]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:41 pm

The studies on wild deer have been inconclusive in determining if the mineral supplements beneifit wild deer. If you have proof that the wild deer are absorbing and beneiftting from the salt attractant mineral supplements I'd like to see it. Penned deer are not the same as wild deer when it comes to how and what they eat. I'm with konk on this one, I want strait facts not guesses.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

easports

Postby easports » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:47 am

fasteddie

A friend of mine forwarded your information regarding mineral supplements sometime last year. At first I couldn't fine one of the products but recently starting looking again and was able to acquire it. My question to you is can you put this out anytime of the year or is it more for the spring time?

I want to use it as an attractant.

Next

Return to General Discussions