What else do you take hunting?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
EarlBryan

Re: What else do you take hunting?

Postby EarlBryan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:48 am

kellory wrote:I load up a pickup truck when it's time to hunt. What I end up carrying into the woods depends on how and where I intend to hunt. However, even to scout, I have my hydration pack, about 30foot of rope with a 200lbs working load. drag rope, cord, first aid hit fire starting kit (I can start a fire in the rain if I must) Gerber multitool on my belt (it goes to Church with me) a handful of heat packs (they weigh next to nothing and I don't much like being cold) skinning knife with gutting hook. second knife is a Kershaw Blade trader. couple of break and shake glow sticks (white) folding shovel/ TP in zip lock baggie. Binos, GPS with extra batteries. ball compass on my collar, and a Pathfinder compass in the bag. Pink flagging tape, cell phone and camera (new addition) 4 bags of beef jerky. trail mix. pen and note pad (shirt pocket sized), camo poncho (military surplus) keys, wallet, extra ammo, weather radio ([URL=http://www.shinesolar.net]solar panels[/URL]/crank/USB charged, and back up crank charger for phone. Contact info for that location, permits (if needed) napril/ nylon gloves, several small flashlights, lockpicks, buff colored napkins (I get them from Arby's) to blow my nose, safety harness. Carbide knife sharpener. grunt tube (never used) small wad of cash for unexpected problems. sling-shot and ammo.

If setting up, each blind or stand gets a dog-runner cable and keyed alike padlock to make it stay where I put it.

spool of marked line and ranging pins ( aluminum gutter spikes painted hunters orange)

photo realistic pop up decoy.

leaf type scent wafers.

hand made screw in beverage holder.

bow holder hooks

ear plug for silent listening to books on my phone (down-loaded as MP3 files) without stopping my eyes from scanning.

tags/ permits/ permission slips/ contact info/ written right to pursue.

Then there is camp gear, enough to set up for a three or four day hunt, sleep, cook, dine, clean guns, fire wood, chain saw, construction tools for repairs, butcher tools, construction lighting string for the butcher room, battery sawzall, generator and extra fuel, bleach and water for clean up before and after meat cutting, three solar panels, two gel-cells, and 12vt lighting kit, shop vac for setting up camp, Gambrels and hoists for three deer at once.

1 climbing stand

1 ladder stand

1 blind

pop-up spur blind with turkey seat

T-shirt through 3 season coat all in camo

two sets of boots

camo gloves lite and heavy glove/mittens

several hats, scarves, hoodies, lots of orange for all in party

water bags for water from nearby natural spring

4 coolers for venison

several weapons to choose from.

plus what ever experiment i am currently running, scents, gear, blood trail lights, ect

And I am sure I have forgotten a few items as well. ;)

In general, I play quartermaster and supply several hunters with just about everything besides camo, ammo, weapons, and sleeping gear.

So many things on hunting? It is like carrying stuff for one month long trip...
Last edited by EarlBryan on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:07 am

Yes, for a month long hunt, I would just need to replenish perishable and ammo. That is kinda the point. I may use half a dozen items, but which half dozen depends on the choices presented at the time. I have duck and goose decoys as well, and added a dozen leghold traps for yotes this year. It means I have options on a moments notice. It is much like a toolbox, you never use all the tools at the same time, but you have them if you need them.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Meules37

Postby Meules37 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:20 am

Jeez, no room in the truck for a drone for enemy surveillance? :D

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:46 am

Roof mounted launch rails. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions