Anyone cooking backstraps today?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kribbz

RE: Anyone cooking backstraps today?

Postby kribbz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:20 am

venison stir fry for me and my wife.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:41 am

Cold today, a little snow on the ground from last night, so a hearty venison stew and home made french bread cooked today.

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:14 pm

My wife bought me "Quality Venison Cookbook" from Cabelas for X-Mas.  It has over 400 recipes.  We've cooked 3 so-far and they've been great.  Give it a try!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Just got done with 2 bowls of venison vegetable soup made this morning, cheese and crackers and a cold coors light.  Ran the beagles yesterday and today.  They ran continuous yesterday for 3 1/2 hours.  We got another 6-8" last night so today my female had problems with plowing through plus the 3 rabbits we jumped made one lap and headed unground.  Found a dead 2 1/2 yr old 8 point yesterday.  Its' been dead awhile but untouched.  My buddy's friend took the antlers for rattling.  Too bad it was wasted.  Had backstraps Wednesday, I cook them in butter and add a touch of red wine half way through.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:53 pm

made an awesome veni stew in the slow cooker .Ever notice its better the second day .must be that 16hrs of slooooow cooking
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:20 pm

It's been a wildgame week here, started out with pheasant last Saturday after a long successful day in the field. Monday we had fried rabbit from Sundays hunt, fixed the rest on Tuesday.  Ended the week with some deer chili, now that it's gone, I have dove breast thawing in the fridge also planning on fixing this weekends rabbits this week.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:50 pm

ORIGINAL: kribbz

venison stir fry for me and my wife.
made that last week try using sesame oil to fry
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Ill be over in a little bit when dinners ready :)..
I just cooked up some hamburger helper yumm
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: HoneyHole
Yup, venison tacos, venison spaghetti, venison lasagna, venison chili........ Geez, what can't you use venison with? Maybe icecream I guess.

Sounds like Bubba Gumps Venison:

"Anyway, like I was sayin', venison is the fruit of the land. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. Dey's uh, venison-kabobs, venison creole, venison gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple venison, lemon venison, coconut venison, pepper venison, venison soup, venison stew, venison salad, venison and potatoes, venison burger, venison sandwich. That- that's about it."
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:08 pm

some steaks cooked in butter with a little bit of vegetable oil (seems to hold more moisture in my experience) and mushrooms MMMMMMMM[:D] I also marinaded some in italian dressed but it was funky (this deer had its guts explode unfortunately, we saved what we could) so I gave it to the dog...never again, I think the dressing made it run right through him[:(] he usually loves venison!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions