Season over

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeanoZ

Season over

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:55 am

My last hunt for the season came to an anti-climatic end yesterday afternoon on my last hunt.  I had toyed with going out for the winter bow season in january, but I'm tired and I've worn out my liberty chit with the wife!  On the final hunt of the season I was graced with  the presence of 4 does and a forkhorn.  I already had meat in the freezer so I passed on all five, I told myself if a 6 pt or higher showed its face I'd take him...no such luck.  Despite hitting an 8 pointer earlier in the season and not being able to find him, as well as 3 other unproductive close encounters with 7-8 pointers during the season, it was still a productive season.  I bagged a doe, my very first deer and I have learned more about deer and deer hunting this past year than in all 20 years (on and off) that I've been hunting.  I've made some great friends here and in the woods.  Thank you all for imparting your knowledge, patience, and wisdom upon me...I believe its served me well and will contiue to do so in the future.  I look forward now to next season, all the comraderie that comes with it..and yet another opportunity to be blessed with the peace of the woods and challange of the hunt.  May god bless you all in the new year...and to my friend the illusive 8 pointer, well done...but I'm on to you and we'll meet again next year, I promise [;)]

Patriot

RE: Season over

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 am

Here, here!  Stay in touch DeanoZ!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 am

Nice finishing message!  Yes indeed keep in touch, the southern states have seasons that run into February so some of us will still be here!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:35 pm

Sounds like a great last day hunt. Have a good New Year yourself.
Keep your season going.... start "planning" now for your fall hunt.  It can end up being a yearlong adventure for you.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:51 pm

Only 301 days until archery starts!  I'm counting down!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:49 am

Thanks again all....and I'm not going anywhere, I'll be at this site daily...Spring gobbler is not that far off and I plan to take my first turkey this year..I've hunted turkey before, but never really seriously so I'll be looking to you all for advice in that regard.  While the deer season may be over for me, I plan to start my post-mortum on this past season, scouting all the areas I did not get to, following up on areas and trails I saw deer escaping to, placing the cam in those spots and picking out my spots/clearing lanes for the upcoming season...so for me it is very much a 365 day a year "hunt"...funny thing is I just veiwed some pics from another area and there are two nice bucks I caught on cam...so who knows, maybe the season isn't over yet, lol...we'll see [;)]

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:19 pm

haha get your butt in the woods if you still have time left! some of us with the season over would die for another week to month![:D][8D] but I have to admit it has been a great season and the depression has finally set in since deer season here in northern NY is over. This site has been great and I'm glad to hear it has been helpful to you as it has been to some of us. Have a great new year and best of luck next season! (unless you decide to go out after that 8 pointer then you better keep us updated!!!! so get our there I expect to see a pic of him tomorrow! (and not trail cam one with you holding those antlers[:D] ok a trail cam pic would work too I love seeing any buck on those things)

Did I mention to get back out there? lol

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:54 am

indeed, one more gun weekend for us here in il. and another season will have passed. turkey starts with the youth season the 1st wknd in apr. i know though that im not alone when i say that deer hunting is a 365 passion. ive got stands to move,repair,and update as well as food plot planting to prepare for. ill be putting out trail cams soon to see who made it through the season, and then start hunting for sheds. thinning some coyotes and doing alot of shooting, yep it'll be oct 1 before i know it.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:38 am

I hunted the last two days of the general season in Va this past Friday and Saturday.  The club I hunted with did pretty good.  Killed 9 on Friday and 17 yesterday.  The dogs were really putting on some good chases.  Several small bucks were killed along with some does and the highlight was an 11 point that was 20" wide.  Back to stand hunting in Loudon county for the extended antlerless season until 3/28.  Good luck to whoever can still get out. 

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:23 am

Sorry to hear your seasons are over.Here in N.Fla. ours goes until March this year.I have a very understanding wife.

Next

Return to General Discussions