How do you want to be remembered?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Patriot

How do you want to be remembered?

Postby Patriot » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Question:  How do you want others to view you on this forum?  By that I mean, what do you want others on the forum to think when they see your name?

Here's my 10 words (not in any particular order):
[ol][*]Lighthearted
[*]Honest
[*]Clear communicator (spelling, punctuation, clear thoughts)
[*]Christian
[*]Funny
[*]Shares using pictures instead of words
[*]Eager to learn
[*]Noncontroversial
[*]Mature
[*]Welcoming[/ol]

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

RE: How do you want to be remembered?

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Great topic Patriot, and i keep forgetting to mention, love the screen name and the quote at the bottom, great movie one of the all time faves on my list :) anyways.... lol.

A few things i could think of were...

[ul][*]Honest/Truthful.[*]Helpful/Insightful.[*]Easy Going.[*]Mature, as well.
[*]Humble.[*]And really just being a fellow hunter who enjoys being out in the woods just as much as the next guy, and wants to pass that on to our future generations and keep this great, great sport alive!
[/ul]

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Informed
Honest
Lighthearted
Factual
Active participant at the grassroots level

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:02 am

[font="arial"][size="3"]One day little Scooter happened upon the shaman, sitting by his campfire.  He seemed quite pensive.  Scooter decided to investigate.  When the shaman gets that way, there is usually a good story to be had. It was chilly, and the shaman had pulled his robe over himself tightly. He was  was sitting on his log; his headdress was beside him.  He was staring into the screen of his laptop, holding a cup of coffee.  The coffee had gone cold, and scooter could tell as he drew closer, the shaman was looking more or less through the screen than at it.

"What's up?" asked Scooter.

"Oh," said the shaman. "The guys over on D&DH want to know how I want to be remembered."

"It sounds like they want you to write your own eulogy." said Scooter.

" Something like that." replied the shaman. "I turned 50 this year. This kind of topic sort of hits home." The shaman stroked his mostly gray beard and winced.  I woke up this morning thinking about Big Al."

"Who's that?"

"You weren't even born yet." replied the shaman.  "Al was a buddy who heard I had no place to hunt and let me come and hunt his private campground out East of here.  Everybody loved Al.  He used to go trolling through the campground on weekends in his bathrobe-- always wore his bathrobe-- just making sure everyone was having fun.  It was a real loosely run thing, and mostly it was just Al's friends and the overflow from the state park, and a neo-pagan church that leased access for holding their services."

"That sounds interesting." said Scooter.

"Al thought the pagans lent an interesting touch." replied the shaman. "He thought a campground with a bowhunter up in a tree was an interesting touch.  In reality, I think Al just liked decorating his little Christmas tree farm with people and watching them. I am just a good Methodist boy at heart, but even I had to say it was the most interesting place to hunt I've ever been.  If you asked Al why he let the pagans stay at his campground, Al would respond with 'They're here to chase off the riff-raff.'"

"That sounds eccentric." said Scooter.

"Eccentric doesn't cover the half of it." said the shaman.  "But that was Al.  "

"So Al turned the big Five-Oh about 10 years ago." said the shaman.  "He'd had a falling out with the pagans and they had stopped coming out.  They went as far as excommunicating him from the church.  Al responded by having himself ordained by one of the ministers he'd ordained when he was a minister in the church and had himself declared 'The New and Improved Church of Whatever-it-Was." That was a masterful play, and considering he worked for Procter and Gamble, it made it all the more fitting."  All the huffing and puffing had driven off most of the campground traffic.  Al's birthday was in the winter.  All-in-all there weren't many folk around to celebrate, so he and a few family members, the ones that were still talking to him, went out to Red Lobster.  When he got home, his daughter said he walked in the door and said he did not feel well and laid down on the couch.  About ten minutes later he was dead."

"Awful." said Scooter. "How old was he?"

"Fifty. I've outlived him by six months.  I went to the visitation, and they had a huge room packed with people, and they spilled out into the halls and the lobby and they crowded the dais and his daughter came up and asked me if I wanted to speak, and so I did a ten-minute stand-up routine about Al and his bathrobe and the night I staid in the house. Only time I've seen mourners rolling in the isles laughing.  Al would have been proud of me."

About this time in the conversation, Chin, the Chinaman showed up.  He was another one of the regulars around the shaman's fire.  We was a jovial fellow. He quickly wanted to know why the shaman was so glum.  Chin was a bit of a puzzle to Scooter. Talking to Chin was like like dropping a pebble into a well and never hearing it hit bottom.

"Why so glum?" asked Chin

"I don't think he's glum, Chin." said Scooter.  "He's just pensive."

When Chin spoke, it was all  Southern, Yiddish and Mandarin nasal sing-song mixed like he had been eating take-out too long and the pulled pork had been mixed with corned beef and the Happy Family Special. 

" Pensive, schmensive!" said Chin. . "He's either depressed or he's contipated. Cough up what's eating you son-- I don't have time to guess."

The shaman repeated his story for Chin.

[/size][/font][font="arial"][size="3"]"Years ago," said Chin. "My buddy Lao Tse died. A few of us over at the monastery decided to go over and pay our respects. So I get to the funeral home and there are all these monks, disciples of Lao Tse, acting like a bunch of women. They're crying, they're wailing, they're pulling their clothes, they're falling on the floor and rolling around, and the noise? It sounded like they were slaughtering sheep!

"So I went in and I let out three big wails, and then I turned to my buddies and told them 'Let's blow this place. I know a bar around the corner that has cheap buckets of Miller until Five.' One of the monks gets off the floor and runs over to us.

"'Where are you going?' asked this monk. 'Is that all you can summon for your friend? Three lousy little wails?'

"That's when I got steamed. I went around the parlor, kicking butt. I knocked those monks upside the head with my staff. I kicked their sorry backsides. I put a hurt on them like they had never seen. 'I'll give you something to wail about!' I said.

"'But Master!, said the monks. 'This was your best friend.'

"'No!' I said. 'I can see Lao Tse was a fool. And you are all fools too. I had believed him to be the man of all men, but now I know that he was not. When I went in to mourn, I found old persons weeping as if for their children, young ones wailing as if for their mothers. And for him to have gained the attachment of those people in this way, he too must have uttered words which should not have been spoken, and dropped tears which should not have been shed, thus violating eternal principles, increasing the sum of human emotion, and forgetting the source from which his own life was received. The ancients called such emotions the trammels of mortality. The Master came, because it was his time to be born; he went, because it was his time to die. For those who accept the phenomenon of birth and death in this sense, lamentation and sorrow have no place.'

"I kicked all their sorry butts, and as I left, I told them this: ' There was a fire. It burned brightly once, and now it is gone. It may burn elsewhere in this world, I know not where, but these sticks have burned out and grown cold. '"

With this, the Chinaman got up from the  log and walked over to the little campfire . With his boot, he kicked the embers. A few were still hot, and once they hit the snow, they sizzled and went out.

"Just like this." said Chin. "And then I walked out of there and got drunk with my friends. It's cold out here, people. Let's go down to the diner, guys. I got a hankerin' for pancakes."

"Yeah,  you're right Chin" said the shaman, picking himself up. "That's how I want to be remembered."

[/size][/font]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 am

Wow, really good topic! It makes me cringe a little because many of you have pointed out admirable traits that I do not posses, but that's life.

As you can imagine, I will come at this from a little different angle. I gave up on trying to get other people like me a while back. It was kind of like my quest to kill a deer with a handgun. I was no darn good at it, and the harder I tried, the worse I made it. So at this point in my life, I am more concerned about what people think, than what they think about me. [ul][*]I want people to think that God is great and full of love for them.[*]I want people to take care of their loved ones and each other.
[*]I want people to think that nature is spectacular and worthy of reverence.[*]I want people to enjoy and appreciate hunting.[*]I want people to respect the clergy, soldiers, cops, conservation officers, nurses, firefighters and others in service.[*]I want people to take good care of themselves and see how special they are.[/ul]I guess I can sum it up with a prayer written by Fr. Michal Judge (FDNY Chaplin L.O.D.D. 9/11/01), "Lord lead me where You want me to go, tell me what You want me to say, and keep me out of Your way." [;)]

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 am

All I want is for people to say... he helped me once, he's okay.

Shaman are you a writer?  Nice work.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:09 am

1.  good father/husband
2.  loyal friend
3.  devoted
4.  lighthearted
5.  honest
6.  reliable

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:31 am

Had to think on that a bit...I actually don't have any wants ..or expectations on ppls views of me....My hopes of others views of my words would be

...Ouch...that was hard but FAIR

...Hhmm good points...this has already happened ..so I'm good

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 am

ORIGINAL: beagleman23

All I want is for people to say... he helped me once, he's okay.

Shaman are you a writer?  Nice work.

Thanks. Yeah, I try to be. 

My big contributions to Trusty Pines,  Al's campground, came when the county mucky-mucks were trying to shut it down, because a good number of them all belonged to the same church and the minister thought Al and his crew were all Satanists.  They weren't. They were a bunch of disgruntled ex-whatevers (Catholics, baptists, etc.) and they were on a par with your average community church when it came to general practice-- they just looked weird. 

It was getting on to Halloween, (Samhein to the pagans-- and it's pronounce like "Sow-wen")  and I got a call from a buddy of mine at a TV station, wanting to know if I knew any witches.  I made a few phone calls and the next thing I knew, I'd arranged for a live remote feed from the campground, and all these pagans doing their thing as the lead story on the 6 O'Clock News.  Al looked like a grandfatherly type-- he'd worn his best bathrobe for the occasion.  It came off really well.  That lead to a couple of nice articles in the local papers, including a  piece in the Cincinnati Enquirer, and later an editorial stance against the presecution of the pagans. When the local conservative rag came out against First Amendment infringements, the county mucky-mucks packed up their tent and their dirty tricks and their harrassments and all pending criminal and civil actions ceased. I got a shot at a nice buck that year, but buried the broadhead in a beech sapling.

This was my little brush with history-that-never-was.  Nobody will remember how civil rights groups and  religious groups were piling on pledging money to both sides in the Trusty Pines case and how close this came to being a big stinkin' deal that everyone would have heard about.  One pro-Jewish group was pledging whatever it took-- they fund all anti-religious discrimination cases so it never has to be fought on their own home turf. It had "Supreme Court or Bust" written all over it, and one phone call from a bowhunter stuck in traffic on a crowded stretch of I-71 kept it all  from happening. This thread is about how you want to be remembered.  The story of Trusty Pines is really how I would like to be forgotten.  All I have from that season is the broadhead still buried in a 6inch chunk of beech, and a few ex-campers that wave at me when we pass each other at the shopping mall.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:56 am

Humble
helpful
informed
ambitious
ethical

I just wanted to say that this thread is great. I am a member of a few other forums but this one, by far has the best group of people on it. I notice alot of childish bickering and fighting on all the other forums and D&DH is not like that at all. Thanks for that!

Next

Return to General Discussions