boone and crocket system

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
vipermann7

boone and crocket system

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:53 pm

I was just watching "the Bucks of Tecomate", and they just did their hotseat segment. the issue was about if the boone and crocket system is good or bad for hunting. both the dudes support it, as long as it isn't taken too far.

what I liked the most was that Jeff Foxworthy said at the end that he likes the gross score, not the net score, because he likes to give the deer credit for what it has been given. i totally agree. I think it's kind of a shame to measure up a rack, and then subtract inches for not being perfectly symmetrical. i guess if the whole idea to being classified as a "typical" rack means it has to be symmetrical, then I guess at least I can see why it was made that way. but personally, I still think it's a shame to subtract inches. If the deer grew it, it counts to me. I don't even figure net measurements, I just use gross. I have never shot a super huge deer, most barely break 100 inches, I'm not a big "antler hunter", I hunt deer. But when I do measure those antlers, because it is fun to do, I let him keep the inches.

Goose

RE: boone and crocket system

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 pm

I agree and use gross inches. Like the saying goes nets are for fish.
I also do like those typical racks that are paired up perfect. Its amazing to see those racks with hardly any deductions so I can understand that reasoning to.
If I had to choose one or the other though I would go with gross.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 pm

I agree with both of you I like the gross score no deductions If mother nature wanted them perfectly symetrical she would have made em that way from the start...

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:50 pm

No deductions for me!

This is maybe the only thing I like about Buckmasters. They use a scoring system that gives credit for every inch and allows "green" scoring, but they do not give credit for the spread. If you think about it, why do we measure air?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:54 pm

interesting point that I never thought of......Image[8|]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:27 pm

I agree. The gross count seems to be the best fit.   I really could care less if it becomes an issue for me since if I'm measuring I'd be in heaven anyway, gross or no gross!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:38 pm

yeah, i've wondered that too why we measure the spread. we see bucks on our property every year that have great racks, but they are very narrow. they really sweep forward instead of spreading out wide like a "normal" rack. then you have other deer, like what i see on TV especially on hunts from texas, where the spreads on those bucks is just massive. narrow or wide, it doesnt always coincide with the other dimensions of the rack or the age of the deer. I'm sure somewhere someone wrote down a reason for measuring the spread, but i havent happened upon it, though I do find it curious.

coach

Postby coach » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:57 pm

I like that Goose......Nets are for fish.   LOL
 I agree.  I got my head mount in 2005.  Not because its the biggest buck in the world.  Because its
the nicest buck i've seen.  Perfect 8.  I bet there is not 2 or 3 inch of deduction.  Its a nice equal 4x4.
Its got mass...hight....wide.....but like I said....its almost perfect.

With all that said.....I go Gross.  Don't penalize...recognize 
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:57 am

i think subtracting points for not being symetrical is stupid
i think it takes away from the deers character

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 am

Doesn't SCI count everything also?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to General Discussions