Favorite 08 hunting memory?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Favorite 08 hunting memory?

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:48 am

Do you have one moment from your 08 season that stands out for you? I'm not talking about an event like "I went with my dad and killed my biggest buck". I mean one actual moment like the way the sunlight glinted off his antlers the moment you saw him.

If you have one, please describe it for us. Those are the things that I believe truly matter in the end and I'd love to share the experience.

Sailfish

RE: Favorite 08 hunting memory?

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:00 am

Well, nothing earth shattering, thought provoking from me, but this moment stands out for me:

Opening day was a bust, I did not see any deer. The corn was in thick still. Finally the farmer decided to run some of it the third afternoon after opening day.
I knew, just knew, he would push a deer my way, and sure enough, he did, I took a doe and couldn't have been more please with the hunt.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 am

As you know, I love pics!  This one means so much to me.  My father-in-law is helping me drag out my opening day bow kill.

He has been just like a father to me.  In his declining health, he still comes and helps me drag my deer and butcher them up at the farmhouse (even though his fingers don't always work the way his mind tells them).

He also has a pacemaker from the the company I work for.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:18 am

....sorry...I have one more...

When my wife told me, "Paul, I want to bow hunt with you next year."[:)][:)][:)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:32 am

Awesome guys! While 08 was rich with great moments, one stands out for me right now.

It was mid-morning on Nov. 6. I was perched on the east end of my little woodlot, facing west into the oak/hickory timber. The sun was shining brightly over my shoulder and warming my back. The tree trunks were lit up and casting dark shadows across the ground. I caught movement in the distance. There was a chase going on, just beyond my clear line of sight. The woods and the angle of the sun only allowed occasional glimpses of the the deer. The few remaining leaves rustled on the limbs masking much of the sound, but the odd crash made it through. Nothing came of it. I saw a small buck later and I assume he may have been the chaser, but I'll never know.

I don't know why I like that memory so much. It just seemed so natural and full of hope. I can't put my finger on it. I suppose we've all been there.  

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:35 am

The moment that sticks out for me the most is a sad time for our family. This October we had to put our Greman sheppard down because of cancer. Riley always loved running up at the family property and we spread her ashes there.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:16 am

1- Sitting in my stand and I feel this vibrating, look and I got a message from my brother on my cell phone. I wonder whats going on its prime time and he should be sitting over our field. Message says-I just shot a big 9 or 10. I start shaking right away so instead of just texting him back I call him, he answers stuttering, breathing heavy, and says he glad hes got a harness on because he would fall out of the tree otherwise.
So i race in the truck to meet up with him and we decide to wait a little bit so we head into town and grab a burger and talk about his hunt. Afterwards we head back to the land and decide to take up the trail.We go through all the emotions of self doubt and so on. We walk around the field he seen him go down in so we can walk into the wind and when we get the last corner before the field I ask him if hes ready to walk up to his biggest buck to date, we turn the corner and shine my light out into the field and 20 yds out is his decoy staring at us, we both jump because we forgot about it!
Walk a little further and there is his buck, kneel down say a little prayer and then he tells me theres no one else he'd rather share this moment with.
Great memory forever etched in my mind!

2- My wife smiling as she hands me her hunter certification card!

3- Being with my wife in the blind and then watching and helping her get her first deer on her second day of hunting. It was as exciting as when I got my first deer. The stuff we whispered as she was putting the scope on the deer to the hugs and kisses afterwards. The sharing of the joy as we drove from house to house showing people her first deer, its all a day that will not be forgotten.

4- getting the message that my dad got a big 8pt opening morning of our firearms season. He bow hunted hard with us and just was out of reach on a couple of close encounters. To hear that he got a nice buck after a long bow season was music to my ears, he deserved it!

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 am

Mine would have to be on opening day gun season (Nov 15) here in MI, it was supposed to be a crappy day rain/snow, wind, cold, all day. So i was hoping the weather would hold out at least until noon, and it surprisingly did, well at leats until 10:45, no wind, in the morning which is unheard of where i hunt, and also no rain or snow so i had pretty high hopes. Didn't see anything for the first 3.5 hrs i was out there, but heard tons of shots and listened to my 2-way radio hearing people panic after missed shots. So that passed time.

10:10 rolls around and i hear a crash ahead of me and to the left, i duck down and see a yearling doe strolling along a nice trail i set up on, she looks over and we have a stare down, (i suck at these i always loose lol) but this time i held out long enough to where she went back to walking, i lost her in some thick stuff then a few mins later 3 more does come out to my left and i turn around and get ready to aim then another 2 yearling does spots me, as well as her mother we have a long stare down my heart is pounding, legs trembling, i keep telling myself dont screw this one up, just hold up, cmon a little longer, and they finally look down, tails flopping, they know something isnt right but by then its too late and i get the shot off at the older doe and claim her later in the day after looking a while for her.

Winning those stare downs for once and having the patience to hold out for that older doe was my best memory this year. It was awesome.

On the other hand my worst memory would be the same day, my dad also shot a doe but he did not wait long enough to let her bleed out and we lost her :/ i felt terrible, i cant imagine how he felt. i dont wish that feeling on anyone.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:45 am

Getting a phone call as I left the woods it was my neighbor telling me her son got a big buck ....going to where the deer dropped and listening to him retell the story....going back to the house with deer and helping him set up the photo shots...his mom saying I was the first person she called

<="http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/madbadger/GetAttachment.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

coach

Postby coach » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 am

Hey Patriot .....I'm also big on pictures.  Took a pic of my dad with his cold morning 8 pointer.
He's no giant....but nice to see your father acting like a kid again after a kill.
It was emotional.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Next

Return to General Discussions