Favorite 08 hunting memory?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Patriot

RE: Favorite 08 hunting memory?

Postby Patriot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:03 am

Reading these stories is giving me goosebumps.....awesome stuff!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 am

The last day of the rifle deer season in PA.  Those of you who hunt in PA know that the deer population is way down in a lot of areas and that can make it tough.  I hunted on my wifes uncles farm.  The farm isn't very big, but only one other hunter was on the property.  However, the surrounding properties must have had a lot of hunters on them because deer passed my stand all day.  It got to the point that I was getting cold and wanted to get down from the stand, but I'd tell myself "just ten more minutes".  And, sure enough, a deer (or several) would walk by.  The weather was perfect (about 25 degrees with a little wind and maybe 3 inches of snow).  I was by myself, but even so, the whole day was great.  I didn't even kill a deer that day (I'd gotten two does on the property earlier in the season), but it was my best memory of the season.  I think it was deer hunting like it used to be when I was a kid.  You always felt that something could happen any minute.  Throughout the whole day, I felt that hope, that possibility (even tho I already decided to shoot only a large buck-or nothing at all).  Hunting here is in stark contrast to what I've become used to, where you may only see two or three deer the entire day.  I suppose I could write all afternoon and never correctly convey how that day made me feel, but it will always be one of my best hunting memories.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 am

Memorable moments, 2008:

1) Holy @#@! -- Hurricane Ike.   The Krylon paint was blowing off the brush as I was re-painting one of the stands.  Too many dribbles were landing on the side of the shed, 10 yards away.  I gave up and decided to go hang camo blinds of the shooting rails of the other stand.  One gust seemed like it was going to blow over the tree. My conclusion?  Better hurry up and get to the other stands.  The drive back to town was surreal-- no rain, bright sun, but trees were uprooting and blowing across our path. The power went out and stayed out for 3 days.

2) Pre-season scouting--  The repainted stand dried and I got it up.  I decided to go out and enjoy the sunset from this new stand-- took my big astronomical binos, a flask of single malt, and some liver pate and watched deer until dark.  On the way back to camp I bumped the largest buck I've ever seen on the place.  Sadly, I never saw him again the rest of the season.

3) #3 Son-- After dealing with the hotest, windiest day I've ever faced on a stand,  Angus and I sat in the waning light of Opening Day of KY Yute Season.  About 10 minutes after sunset, a nice fat doe came out and stood broadside.  My youngest son, armed with my 30-30 Marlin turned her into venison.  He made a huge step along his path, and I took mine. That will be the last son I introduce to hunting.

4) #2 Son -- A week after #3 son got his first,  Moose bagged his first solo deer.  I was up in my stand, enjoying the approaching evening. I heard a shot, and a little while later Moose's voice crackled on the walkie talkie asking for a pick-up at point Victor.  By the time I got over there, things were pretty well all figured out and no one needed me to supervise.

5) Dad's Turn-- In all honesty, my deer were somewhat inconsequential.  I bagged my buck all alone-- on one of the days I was at camp solo, and for the first time in years I had no one around to celebrate with, no one to help carry the carcass out.  It was just me, and when it was all over, I had a snack and went to bed.  There was one special morning during season. That was the day that I hit the peak of the rut on the new stand and saw bucks and does every which way.  Everything I did-- bleating, grunting, rattling-- provoked a response that morning.  On top of it, there was a large flock of turkeys that came out and fed while all of this was going on. What a day!!!

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 am

I have 2 first was one of the final days of gun season I was going to do deer drives with my father in law and brother in law on my father in laws farm. My 2 boys(6 yrs and 4 yr) came with and were dressed up in their hand me down blaze orange. It was cold and windy and my boys walked hundreds of yard across open fields and stood with the standers. We were out doing drives from 11:00 to around 3:30pm and everytime I would ask if they wanted to go home both said no way we want to see a deer. Well long story short we didnt see any deer that day so I asked them if they wanted to come again next year. Both boys said yeah as they jumped up and down. They were cold they were wet and tired but would not give up on the hunt even without seeing deer. Well proud papa looked at grandpa and said looks like I have hunting partners for life huh, and my boys interupted by saying YEAH DAD WERE DEER HUNTERS..

The other was right after christmas and my 4 yr old son was sitting at the kitchen table looking through a pair of binos grandma had given him. The adults were talking when suddenly my son shooshed us. I looked at him to scold him for it when he said I see a buck, then he said aww he ran off be quiet I need to call to him. he put his binos down and put his fist up to his face and made a grunting sound as he opened up his little hand... I said bud it looks like he is coming back, he got down and walked up to the TV were one of my deer heads is on the wall and said be quiet I have to load my muzzle. He went through the motions raised his fake gun and shot my buck on the wall. He turns to me and says dad I got him can I get him mounted like you did... How do you say no to that...

Deer hunting doesnt get any better than sharing it with your kids and viewing it through their eyes, back when it was about the experince of seeing the deer not the kill.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 am

After seeing pictures of a nice buck on my trail cam for 2 months, the first evening I sat on stand he came through.  I didn't get a shot that first evening, but I finally got to see him in "real time" and that was an exciting memory.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am

Last Saturday of gun season. I was sitting with my son in a two man stand after forgetting my release for my bow and talking and laughing (quietly as we could anyway) with him. Then having several deer come through right around sunset. One of those, ya sit for hours and then it all happens in 10 minutes type thing. I got a kick out of watching him get buck fever just as bad as I did earlier in the year and miss a nice buck that rolled through. Please don't get me wrong I would have loved to have seen him put a nice shot on the deer, but just spending the time together and the privilege of being a witness to the event was enough for me.

That made my year.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:14 pm

I honestly had the best season of my life.... I have soo many great memories. Mainly my memories are from the day that I shot my biggest buck to date.  I vividly remember the buck grunting with every step as he passed my tree at 10 yards, I vividly remember calming myself to slip the arrow through the 10 inch hole i had between two trees. I vividly remember shouting as loud as I could as soon as I saw the arrow bury in his ribcage and lodge in the off shoulder. I vivdly remember calling my friend who I was hunting with and before I could tell him about my deer he said "I just shot a buck".  The excitement I felt for him made me realize what hunting is really about. Sharing the experience. I did shoot a big buck with my bow (my lifelong dream) but it would not have been the same if I tracked that deer by myself or if I wasnt able to share it with my freind. So I guess my favorite 08 hunting moment would be the handshake between my good friend and I after we recovored my buck and his buck shortly after that.

CoG

Postby CoG » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 pm

It's been a good season, but what will be etched in my mind forever is actually what happened TODAY on Jan. 2, 2008!!  Deer sightings have been down as usual near the end of the season so that's no big deal.

This past week I did a bunch of hunting with a very good friend of mine.  The other day I asked him if he'd ever seen a buck mount a doe.  I told him I never had, thought I should have by now, and thought it'd be awesome to witness.  I mean I wanna see the culmination of all this crazy rutting that deer do and see the rare act in person.  Well as if on cue only a few days after I bring it up I catch sight of 3 deer a long way off from my tree stand.  One is standing still and two others ease out the thicket, no antlers on any deer.  Next thing I know I see the rear deer start to slide up the back of the deer in front of it.  HOLY HELL..  There it is in real life.  I saw two deer breed and as my buddy said "watched my herd grow before my very eyes."  I cannot express how dumbfounded I was to finally see something else about deer that isn't all to often seen by most people.  I think in all my early years I never witnessed it because I was hurting my chances by shooting those nice bucks hanging around and chasing those does!! =].   I don't know if this was a shed buck, a button buck, or even a confused doe, but I finally saw it and it was too damn cool to see it unfold especially so late in the season.  Seeing this kind of deer behavior in my part of VA can be difficult with all the dog hunting during the season. 

I really wanted to take a picture, but I knew at that distance on zoom it'd be nothing but blurry, so I wanted to watch all I could with my 10x spotting scope.  I may have taken a very nice buck early this year, but this experience rounds me out much further as a deer hunter, imo.  Now I get excited wondering if I'll ever witness a good buck fight. 

hdmyg85

Sling shot with ammo in the handle

Postby hdmyg85 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Has anyone bought this type of sling shot before that holds the amo in the handle? http://www.liangdianup.com/sporting_1.htm
this company has free shipping to anywhere in the world and they guarantee delivery to Australia. I heard that sling shots
are ok to sell in Australia as long as you say they are being used to toss bait in the water when you go fishing, any truth
to thatone?

coach

RE: Sling shot with ammo in the handle

Postby coach » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

That's one hell of a memory HDMYG85...lol

Welcome aboard.
To answer your question....No I've bought that type.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions