Favorite 08 hunting memory?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
b phat

RE: Favorite 08 hunting memory?

Postby b phat » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:09 pm

I guess my favorite time this season would be when two weeks before our first shot gun season. My dad and I bow hunt hard every weekend. I been seeing these two yearlings every time when I would sit while bow hunt. told the old man about them ( the old man is a meat hunter). He told me if he see's them there going to be in his freezer.
Can you guess what happened first shot gun season. yep there in his freezer

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:14 am

my first mornig out this year i arived at my tree to find that id left my safety belt at the truck(i thought). so i slipped 50 yrds deeper to my ground blind. after settling in i found my safety belt in my fanny pack. oh well the good lord didnt want me in that tree that day. i seen several deer including the oldest and 2nd largest (rack) buck ive evere seen while hunting. he came in an bedded 50yrds in front of me and just laid there chewing his cud for about an hour. while i never got a shot i was able to immensly enjoy watching him. it was truly an enlightning and educational experience, as well a blessing. if i had sat the tree i wanted i would have never seen him. incidently i had never seen him before and havent seen him since. 
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

roadkilldk

Postby roadkilldk » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 am

My most memorable moment of 08 would have to be the adrenaline rush I got after releasing my arrow and watching as the first deer I ever shot at with my bow ran out of my shooting lane with my arrow in its shoulder!  I'll never forget the feeling! 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 am

great thread JPH!

anyways, my favorite 08 hunting memory has to do long before the season even began.  this was the first year that we've put in food plots.  sure, my parents live on a hobby farm and they've had crops their whole lives, but this was something special since deer hunting is a long standing tradition in our family, as it is in others, and doing something together with my father and i, knowing that it was going to help the deer herd and we were going to be hunting together as we always do each fall.  we had a lot of fun planning where we wanted to put them and why we wanted to put them there.  it was a lot of father/son bonding time, and i wouldn't change that for the world!!!  [:D]
QDM!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:52 am

Mine has nothing to do with deer. I was sitting in a tree stand and the deer were not moving but a bald eagle was circling overhead. What a beautiful bird. We have not had one nesting in the immediate area for at least 4 years, it was nice to see one again.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

Mine has nothing to do with deer. I was sitting in a tree stand and the deer were not moving but a bald eagle was circling overhead. What a beautiful bird. We have not had one nesting in the immediate area for at least 4 years, it was nice to see one again.

Robert, I love that your best memory does not involve a deer. Says a lot about what it is really all about.

I saw a bald eagle soaring over my place as I was tracking my Missouri bow buck. They are like pigeons right in the city along the Des Moines River, but it was the first I had seen down there.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:09 pm

#1- Walking up on my first bow buck after waiting overnight and bumping him the night before. Also, then the uphill drag with one of my best friends to the 4-wheeler. Additionally, checking the forum for advice all of you gave me in helping me find my buck.

#2- I had been talking to my hunting buddy on the 2 way radio when all goes silent. Next, I heard multiple shots from his direction. I say "was that you?" He says "I GOT HIM! I GOT HIM! I GOT MY FIRST BUCK!" I practically ran from my tree stand to where he was a mile away to celebrate in the joy of his first buck. Then the smile on his face was priceless. A truly memorable day.

#3- Seeing the smile on my Grandpa's face when I came back to the farm with a deer on the Ranger.

#4- Sitting with my sister in a tree stand on her first deer hunt and talking pretty much the whole time. lol. We didn't see any deer, but it was great.
Kyle

JChurch

Postby JChurch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:10 am

Taking my daughter on Saturday of our second season,we climbed up in our two man ladder sat for a hour or so finally saw a couple deer coming down the trail towards us 100 yards away.I was talking her through what to do and when to do it,ths deer were coming in on a string and then started to circle out of range,they made a big loop and came back on her side of the stand, the little six point was broadside at 70 yards when she pulled the trigger and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. The emotions in both of us is something I will never forget and I have a new hunting partner to boot.

#2  My step cousin hunted with us this year for the first time, He sat in a stand on the crick,nice buck comes in he shoots it and it jumps in the crick and across. He's pretty sure about the shot but it's across the crick with no way across,we get permission to get it but still have no way across finally find a log-jam to cross but there is eight feet from the bank out to it,we get two 2x4's laid out across he slowly but surely makes his way across finds the deer drags it to the bank we tie a rope to a hedgeball get it over in about 5 throws he ties it around the antlers and 4 of us drag it back across the crick.To top it off it was his birthday.What some people will do for a Buck.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 am

#1 Getting my very first buck on opening day of Wisconsin's gun deer season.  Also it was my birthday what a good birthday present.

#2 Going bow hunting for the first time this year.  From doing this I've learned more about deer and how they act with different weather situations like wind, rain, and coldness and the hot days.

#3 Helping my cousin track a doe that he had hit during an early October gun hunt.  He is color blind so he can't see blood as good and I'm always willing to help him find a deer he shot.

jdsbuckfever

Postby jdsbuckfever » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:55 pm

my favorite 08 memory has to be opening day of rifle season here in missouri. my youngest son wanted to go hunting. so that afternoon i took him out behind my grandmothers house. we were sitting out there for about an hour when it started to sleet and my son austin said he was ready to go back to the house. so i took me in and went back out hunting. i was in the woods for ten minutes when i shot my first deer, which was a doe. i went and got my son and the four wheeler to get my deer out of the woods. when austin say the deer he looked up at me and said with the biggest smile on his face. he said dad i am so proud of you. that was the greatest feeling in the world. he is a pic of austin, me and the deer i shot.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions