Favorite 08 hunting memory?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
reeper0697

RE: Favorite 08 hunting memory?

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:37 pm

JPH, great thread and I like reading everyones posts

I am fortunate enough to hunt pretty much every day of the NY season. At first I was seeing deer pretty much every sit, but then it slowed way down. I also took the biggest buck of my life this year. But whenever I would sit out and not see deer there would be certain things that I know I was only seeing at the time that make each hunt special and worth going out. I would see something and say to myself, "that alone was worth coming out for". Watching the sun rise or set, being out for the first snow, seeing ducks and geese come and land into a pond and listen to the ducks "chatter" as if they were a bunch of gossiping women, being able to see the leaves change color and see how beautiful they look, bringing my friend hunting with me who just got into it this year. There are many things that make each hunt special and each time I'm in the woods special. What is really rewarding to me also is seeing the positive impacts I have on our land such as seeing food plots come up after all the time and sweat it went into planting those, watching the deer eat at them, watching my apples trees I had planted growing leaves and how I still managed to get them all in the ground even though the deer flies were unbareable, and with some TLC an apple tree I use to hunt by finally had apples for the first time in 3 years. I also loved sitting on my uncles porch and watching the deer in the early season feed in a field as 3 of the bucks were in velvet (no monsters a 5pt, 4pt, and spike but it was still awesome to see them pretty much every night) There are just some things people dont understand about the woods, all I know is that it is more than words can describe.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Without a doubt, my greatest 08 memory was my 7yo killing his first deer.......and second........and third. He was unstoppable.

Woody

Postby Woody » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Well I had one of the best hunting years as far a success goes. From shooting my biggest bow buck to date. Then following that up with a decent 2.5 year 8pt. with the rifle. But taking my 4 year old boy out deer hunting and just seeing the excitement in his eyes that he was going deer hunting with his dad was the greatest feeling. He wore all his camo and brought his little bow and was ready to "shoot a deer". We sat in a pop up blind and had every intention of letting him shoot at a deer (with his suction cup tipped arrows) but unfortanatly nothing came past. But none the less the memory is one never to forget!!

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:30 am

Favorite hunting memory this year would be my nephew shooting his first buck.  After 6 years, it finally happened.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

RE: Sling shot with ammo in the handle

Postby 69Viking » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 am

I know it says for 2008 but our season runs through Jan. 31 so technically I count that time as part of the 2008 season. 

My favorite moment of the 2008 season actually happened two days ago, the morning of 1-4-09.  I had spent the weekend hunting with my 11 year old son trying to get him his first deer, it would be the last time he could hunt due to school.  It was warm, muggy, and foggy and we never saw a single deer while on stand. 

At 8:40 am there is thunder and it sounds pretty close so we pack quickly because it's a bit of a walk to the house and close enough to the time we need to drive home, his season was over and he'd have to wait until next season to get his first deer.  When we get down to the bottom of the stand and are both standing on solid ground my son hugs me really hard and thanks me for hunting with him, he says he had a great time even though we didn't see any deer!  It gave me goose bumps and I can promise you that I will remember that moment forever!  I know now I have a hunting partner for life and I will do everything I can to get him that first deer next year!  If that happens I can already predict that it will be my favorite moment of the 2009 season no matter what else happens!      

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:39 am

Sure do. After not hunting at all for the year, I climbed my tree stand in the early morning darkness and just took it all in. Totally silent, 6" of snow. The eastern horizan slowly brightening. Settling down and listening to the slightest sound. And it occurred to me, there was no other place I would rather be at that time and place. It was very peaceful and reminded me why all of the preparation was worth it.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Previous

Return to General Discussions