Well ran dry

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
3 to 1

Well ran dry

Postby 3 to 1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 pm

anyone have updates on the Dec. '08'/Jan '09' hunt.  I was going stong 'til the middle of Dec. Now I haven't even seen any does let alone a buck.  I filled my doe tag in early Nov. and have let many other does and small bucks walk since then.  I know there are big buck(s) in the area, I've taken one shot at one and I've seen them on the trail cam(6:30 p.m.): but nothing during legal time.  I hunt two properties, so I don't burn them out.  My buddy and I are the only people to hunt the properties. There is plenty of old apples around the trees and the tracks going to them, but nothing during legal times.  I've tried scents, decoy(s), & call(s)--Nothing is working.

Thanks for any help/advice.

beagleman23

RE: Well ran dry

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:54 am

Food sources and bedding/security cover-- nothing else really matters at this point.  Good luck!  The season is over for almost 3 weeks in New York.

p.s.  Since your in Ohio, what's the deal with the National Forest land at least on the east side of the State.  We scouted two falls' ago and the land wasn't signed well at all, plus the game regulations state that you can be arrested for trespass even though the property is unposted and no prior warning given(not so in NY).  We were(still) looking for a second 'opening day' but follow game laws and are both in law enforcement so we were concerned and passed on Ohio.  I still would like to consider it though and hope you or another hunter from OH can clue us in on public land oportunities.  Thanks in advance.

Smoothbore

RE: Well ran dry

Postby Smoothbore » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 am

I know where your coming from I hunt in Perry. This time of year it seems the only way to get them moving is to have someone drive them for you. Set up on an escape trail from a bedding area and have someone push them out.

Return to General Discussions