Anyone KNow About Hawks?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Anyone KNow About Hawks?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:25 pm

[font=verdana,geneva]As I have mentioned in the past, I have a small barn (40'X60') where I have horses. The stalls are such that each one has a back door where if I leave it open (which I do most of the time), the horses are free to walk in and out into the turn out pens and pasture.[/font]

[font=verdana]What I also have, are an infestation of those *(&%^*%^#!!@@ ENGLISH HOUSE SPARROWS, that are literally pooping machines! All the stall walls have whitewash stains, plus the buckets (which we have to wash and bleach at least once a week), and if the horse blankets are hung on the stall doors, them too. My mower I have to keep covered, or else when I go to sit on it I'm sitting in bird poop.[/font]

[font=verdana]Anyway...today I went down to feed in the morning, and lo and behold a hawk of some kind was in the barn, perched on a rafter board. He got out of there when I came in, but when I went in the hay stall, I saw where he'd made a kill and House Sparrow feathers where all over the top of a bale....WAY TO GO MR. HAWK!!!! [/font]
[font=verdana] [/font]
[font=verdana]Now I'm trying to determine what type of hawk it was. I didn't get a real good look at it, but my guess so far is that it was NOT a broadwinged type hawk (Buteos, in the scientific terminology, which are your soaring type hawks, and eat mostly rodents), like a Redtail, but a shorter winged "woods hawk" (Accipiter, in the scientific lingo). My guesses are either a Coopers Hawk, or a Sharp Shinned Hawk, both of which being woods hawks are more adept at taking prey in close quarters, and which are also hawks that eat primarily other birds.[/font]
[font=verdana] [/font]
[font=verdana]Anyone have any input for me? I'd also like to find a way to ENCOURAGE this hawk to take up residence in my barn also![/font]
[/align]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

RE: Anyone KNow About Hawks?

Postby shaman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 am

You've got the best means at hand for keeping a hawk around-- food.  Hawks probably won't nest IN your barn, but they may take up residence near it. 

I worked at frozen food plant for 4 years, and the bird poop was constant problem? The guy responsible for pest control said, "I can control for rats or birds-- pick one." The company picked rats.

Bird you ask?  What do birds have to do with frozen food?  Basically there was enough meat waste ending up on the roof that it fed an army of starlings and sparrows.  That in turn attracted a number of hawks. 

The hawk will not extirpate the sparrows. Nor will an army of hawks, but hawks will take a fair amount of birds out of the barn. Shooting will be fun and entertaining, but you're just spitting in the wind. You may want to consider a sparrow trap. It may or may not work. There really is no good way of getting rid of sparrows for good. Whatever works has to be done frequently, otherwise they're back in no time.

Starlings are easier to control:  you wait until a cold night and stand underneath their roost and hose them down with a combination of industrial degreaser, detergent and water.  The degreaser and detergent gets the protective oil off their feathers and they all freeze to death. You can fill a dumpster the next morning.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:54 am

Thanks, shaman!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am

We have got to know several diary farmers that have the identical problem with the birds(pigeons, sparrows and starlings) that eat their grain and create an offensive mess.  We buy a case of cheap ammo and literally 'have a blast' but I'm sure your horses are a lot more sensitive to noise than the cows who care less.  After a couple of times it moves the survivors to another farm.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 am

Woods Walker...lucky are you to have hawks ...if it's like here you also have a # of owls as well......We are in raptor heaven here ...not sure if it's the altitude or the many surrounding lakes...most likely both... the thermals are great for soaring and a good combination of field to woods.....it's the woods hawks ...coopers I have fun watching the most ..sitting quiet in a tree stand listening to the munks and squirrel then out of know where a dark flash ...hi pitched sqeek and dinner for the fledglings...the net has lots of info on them... you know I'm a fan of Google.... just check for raptors in your area or hawks in your state...this fall a few miles from the house I turned down a back road and just 30yrds off the road in a clover/alfalfa field is a huge bald eagle with it's still all brown fledgling....sitting on what ever it had caught...I stopped and they gave me just enough time to roll down the passenger window half way before flying off...what a great sight! We see them fly over the house during the summer but never have I been that close before...a surprise for we were about 8miles from the lake they nest at...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:27 am

PS also google removing birds from barn...lots of info[;)]

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 am

You sure that wasn't a falcon? I know falcons will eat other birds but I have never seen a hawk go after one. Usually the smaller birds dog the hawks just for fun knowing the hawk cant catch them.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:32 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

You sure that wasn't a falcon? I know falcons will eat other birds but I have never seen a hawk go after one. Usually the smaller birds dog the hawks just for fun knowing the hawk cant catch them.

I know for sure it wasn't any of the falcon group.It is hunting sparrows on the wing in the confines of a metal horse barn that is 12' to the lateral truss beam....not much room to manuver.

It definately is one of our local accipiter (woods) hawks...Goshawk, Cooper's or Sharpshinned, and I know for sure that it's not a Goshawk. I saw it again yesterday, and I'm leaning towards Cooper's, but I need to get another view of it's tail.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:35 am

msbadger: You are correct about being "wealthy"! We are boardered on three sides with massive oak woods, and we are in a valley...EXCELLENT soaring conditions. Red Tails are seen all the time and we hear Great Horned owls many nights too. I've even gotten good at calling them over.

Rabbits keep a LOW profile around here! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:42 am

RR-

Hawks are very adaptable.  Redtails have made dinner out of numerous Seagulls where I work, I watched a killing in October.  I see a hawk stake out my feeder also but it's not a Redtail, possible a Cooper.

Return to General Discussions