Merry Christmas

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

Merry Christmas

Postby hunter480 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:06 pm

[font="times new roman"]As I`ve reflected recently on the upcoming Christmas Holiday, two things have jumped out at me;[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]
[font="times new roman"]One, is how quickly time passes. I read somewhere before that, Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end you get, the quicker it goes……it seems like that should be in a holy book somewhere.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]The second thing that`s really been on my heart this Christmas season, is how much people need people, how much we need each other. I`ve been a loner all my life and have felt many times that I was being drawn towards someone, or a group of people, and it always felt good to feel that pull. It kind of let me feel, again, like maybe I do belong after all.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Several years ago, while at a workshop put on by my place of employment, the speaker said something that literally made me stop, made it seem as if everything in the room had stopped, it was that huge to me. He said that when you speak to someone, it literally has the same impact, the same effect, as if you had walked up and put your hand on their shoulder, you`ve actually touched them by speaking to them. The question is then, he continued, exactly how will you touch them? That statement just blew me away, I had never, ever before, considered how I may be impacting anyone, and everyone who came into my life. Lately, I`ve forgotten the profound effect that statement had on me.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]Then I think about the "Reason for the Season" as they say. The birth of not simply a king, but the birth of The King; the unexplainable, indescribable, unthinkable act of God donning human flesh as the heavens bowed down to the earth, and the God-man, Jesus, was born to a virgin mother. The birth that would eventually lead to the ultimate act of love by a God, that so deeply cared for, and loved His fallen creation, that he would willingly, lovingly, shed His own blood, sacrifice His own Life to redeem even those who tortured and crucified Him.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]But at Christmas, we celebrate His birth; we celebrate the example He gave us of how we should live our lives. Christ gave us commands to do the, sometimes, difficult, by admonishing us to love our neighbors, but then gave us a command that, in human abilities, is pure folly, by telling us to love our enemies as well. To pray for them, and see them as He see`s them, as the "fearfully and wonderfully made" creation that, some of at least, will make up the bride of Christ, the new church. He taught peace, love, humility, and even stated that to be great, you must be the least, to be a leader, you must serve. He walked with the riffraff of the day, the tax collectors, the prostitutes, the leapers, and He ministered to them, He healed them, He fed them, and He gave them hope. He taught them of a Father, who would never forsake them, and loved them so much, that, just as Abraham was poised to sacrifice Isaac, this Father would indeed follow through, and sacrifice His Son as a ransom to save a dark and dying world. This Jesus was the Lamb of God, the final sacrifice the Father would ever demand. The Word teaches that without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin; I`ve never understood that, but have come to look at it like saying, that without the shedding of blood, there can be no eating of meat. I`m not being trite at all, but just tried to put that in a perspective that my small mind could somehow grasp. There`s much about the Word, and about the vastness of God that I simply cannot comprehend, and that leaves me feeling uneasy and restless, but then, I know that He can be trusted, and just as a small child cannot understand much of what their parent tell them, I can trust Him and feel safe in His arms.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]So this Christ teaches us to be kind to our neighbors, and to have, and show a genuine and working concern for people. He teaches that we must repent from sin. Repent meaning to be truly remorseful, but also to turn away from our sin. He calls us to put other`s needs ahead of our own, to care for the widows and the orphans, to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to heal the sick, to give food and drink to the hungry and thirsty. A heady charge to be sure, for most are innately selfish and self consumed, and desirous of only the things that would please and satisfy them. It`s only by the Indwelling of God`s Holy Spirit in us that we can come to live by these measures.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]For the people I`ve been harsh with, for the people I`ve been thoughtless and uncaring towards, I do ask forgiveness, and I truly do repent. God help me to be more like His Son.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]As we come into this Christmas season, let`s enjoy the sweet time together with family and friends. Let`s truly cherish smiles, hugs, good times together and laughter. Let`s remember how fleeting life is, and how relationships make out hearts warm and glow like a fire in the fireplace on a cold winter night. Let`s look back with great respect and awe on the deer season we just had, let`s bask in the memories, and hopefully, enjoy the taste of the rewards of our hunt. Let`s remember those who fight day and night to protect us and keep us safe, let`s remember those who have less than we, let`s get one extra long hug from those kids, grandkids, brothers, sisters, parents, lovers and wives, and……..[/font]
[font="times new roman"]…….let`s dwell on the miracle of that night long ago, when the heavens opened, and The King of Kings wrapped Himself in flesh, and came to dwell among us. [/font]

Return to General Discussions