window of opportunity

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

window of opportunity

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:55 pm

A guy I know once showed up a little too early at his hunting ground and decided to sit in his Blazer and stay warm a while. He fell asleep and woke up just after shooting hours. When he looked around there was a nice buck behind the vehicle. If he opened the door it would certainly bolt. He decided it was worth shooting thru the back window. He did get the deer, but had a nice glass bill and ringing in his ears for a while. 
Oh yea, the same guy managed to drive the same Blazer into a creek backwards one year.
Anyone you know do something stupid while deer hunting? Lets hear about it.

8uck5nort

RE: window of opportunity

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:39 am

Uhhhhh, me? Never![:)] Errrr, at least not that bad.

That guy takes the cake!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:35 am

That's got me beat.  I think the worst thing I ever did was show up without my release. 

I did know of a guy who tried to shoot his big whopping super magnum off the hood of his car and had the windshield shatter from the concussion.

But shooting at a deer without the window rolled down?  That belongs in a class by itself.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 am

Wow, he's lucky every window didn't blow out!  Can't say I've done anything that crazy and I hope I never do!

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:49 am

I wonder if he had a muzzle brake? [:D]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 am

Shooting through a window - I'd say he's lucky he even hit the deer.  Personally, I think guys like this need to find something else to do other than hunt. 

Stupid things I've done?  Forgot to check in with my wife after a morning hunt when I was on our farm by myself, she couldn't get me on cell phone after trying all day so drove 150 miles to see if I had been hurt.  Not a good situation. 

Needless to say, we now have a landline in our barn with a answering machine.  PLUS I always check in!
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 am

Dumbest thing I did was went night-time walleye fishing on Lake Huron alone (I'll probably do it again too), The channel wasn't marked yet because it was right after ice out, and my gps died, spotlight died, back up gps batteries were dead, and ran aground 3 times trying to find the channel. The water was only a foot deep either side. Wound up spending the night in 17 degree weather circling in front of the channel until the sun came up with wet feet from pulling the boat off the bottom. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

A guy I know once showed up a little too early at his hunting ground and decided to sit in his Blazer and stay warm a while. He fell asleep and woke up just after shooting hours. When he looked around there was a nice buck behind the vehicle. If he opened the door it would certainly bolt. He decided it was worth shooting thru the back window. He did get the deer, but had a nice glass bill and ringing in his ears for a while. 
Oh yea, the same guy managed to drive the same Blazer into a creek backwards one year.

In Indiana, and likely most other states, this guy is unethical at best, and a poacher at worst. Shooting from a vehicle is hardly the example we want to set, or the way we want hunters viewed by non-hunters.

The term slob hunter comes to mind.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland

In Indiana, and likely most other states, this guy is unethical at best, and a poacher at worst. Shooting from a vehicle is hardly the example we want to set, or the way we want hunters viewed by non-hunters.

The term slob hunter comes to mind.

Oddly enough, the guy now has a career in law enforcement.

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:18 pm

That guys wins the idiot award.
Stupid things I've done? How about slipping on ice and knocking the scope off a rifle? Or unable to find the safety on a new gun while a bruiser ran under my stand? The list goes on and on...............Image
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Next

Return to General Discussions