window of opportunity

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Bowtechian

RE: window of opportunity

Postby Bowtechian » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:18 pm

After reading that, nothing I ever did (while hunting) sounds stupid.
Dave M.

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Dad keeps us entertained. Wouldn't call him an idiot just has a lot of senior moments......

#1) My dad and is buddy were at camp one morning discussing where they were going to hunt. My dad gets on his ATV and heads out when his buddy looks over by the door and notices something. He thinks to himself "well lets just see how long it takes him to figure this out". Sure enough about 5 min later dad pulls up at the camp and remarks "I'm such a dumb@#$"......He left his gun sitting by the door!!!

#2) Dad couldn't get his ATV cranked one day. Engine would turn over but nothing else. After virtually disassembling his bike and dropping a list of profanities that still embarass me today he finally gave in. He was sitting on the porch at camp drinking a cold one when the 3yo son of one of our members came waddling up and said "Mr. Ronnie, did you check the gas". Dad was thinking to himself "Beat it kid of course I checked the gas". He went out to the bike and worked on it a little more then decided maybe I should check the gas. Sure enough...BONE DRY! Fired right up with thanks to the deep insight of a 3 year old. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:24 am

If I'm not mistaken...isn't hunting from a vehicle, either moving or stationary, illegal in most if not all states?  I've often wondered what I would do in situations where the buck of a lifetime shows up..and regardless the one thing that seems to keep me in check is the principal of fair chase and ethical shots.  If you have to go to those extreems is it really about the hunting experience?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:29 am

We were catching peanut dolphin on various weedlines. Since they were so small I had 10# tackle on a tiny spinner.
I wasn't too impressed with the plan but went along with the crew's wishes.
Pulled up onto a new weed patch, I was the first to pitch my jig, and a 4' + bull dolphin decided to engulf my bait.

30 minutes later, after being spooled almost 3 times and chasing this fish across the Atlantic I get him to gaff, gaffer misses and off he goes again, 5 minutes more and I have the largest dolphin I have ever caught in my life to gaff......pop goes the line [:'(]

There went my window.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:56 am

Went moose hunting in October, brother-in-law and cousin in the truck driving the logging roads when I asked where's the ammo???, both guys laughing saying we've got ours, I left mine back at the cottage. Good thing we were only 10 min. away from the cottage!!! Can you say absent-minded...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm

well this is kinda along the lines of tomcat but during gun opener this year i left my trigger lock on my shotgun and forgot the key.. decided to sit in my stand anyway and it just so happen that i saw nice 8 point that morning. i felt pretty dumb after that one.

Previous

Return to General Discussions