Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:44 am

Do you keep a deer hunting journal? If not, why not? If so, what information do you capture? Weather? Wind direction and speed? Barometric pressure and direction? Area hunted? Hunting partners? Time of season, such as pre-rut, etc? deer sightings? What else? And what format do you use, is it a commercially made journal, your own making?

JPH

RE: Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:18 pm

I have several members of my family across the country who are not blessed with the hunting opportunities that I am. I began to e-mail them accounts of my hunts in 2000. They are expressed in a narrative style and I have saved every one of them in my e-mail journal.

It does not contain some of the raw data that other hunters keep, such as wind direction, moon phase, total deer seen, etc., unless that is Germain to a given story. So in some ways my journal is deficient, but it contains the mood and the moral for each of my outings and that is what really matters to me. 

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 pm

You bet I do, it's so exciting to read it years later or in the summer or when ever. I like reading and saying to myself I killed a nice 6pt today 5 years ago, or my buddy saw 12 deer this morning  a year ago. I would reccommend everyone to make one.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Yeah I actually keep a couple. Main one has all the info you mentioned in your op. Wind,moon, moon rise and set, barometer, overcast or clear, temp, location, why that set ect... Then give a detail summary of the hunt, what I saw where they came from where they were going and so on.
I also keep a notebook thats got a page for every day from August to January and I write only important things in there under the date. Like- Brother got 122" 10 pt out of double stand at 4:30 over a decoy.
Looking back through it its neat to see how certain dates seem to be good year after year.
Then I also keep all good trail pics from year to year.
I also kept a journal on our field this year. When we planted, how much, fertilizer, what speeds and settings we planted at. When we rounded up and how it was growing throughout the year.
Might seem a little over the top but i enjoy it and love looking back through the years. You can piece stuff together IMO that you wouldn't unless you got a photographic memory in which I don't.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 pm

I keep a journal.  Most of it ends up in my weblog.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 pm

I really wish I did write down my accouts in the field, this is only my 5th year deer hunting but I've witnessed some awesome things while on stand like a hawk running after a grey squirrel through an apple orchard, or the time last year when it got dark I lowered my bow to the ground and all of a sudden a buck came through the bush beating the crap out of every tree around me,don't know what that was all about but being 155lbs I stayed in the tree until the woods got silent then got out of there as fast as I could.LOL  Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:55 am

Sometimes if I remember.

I usually just denote the date, where I went and then throw down some one-liners about what I saw.  Sometimes I'll mention the weather.  Maybe it began to rain or there was heavy snowfall, etc.  I definitely always track if I happen to kill a deer and the time of kill. 

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 am

Goose,

I am new to Deer hunting, i will keep a journal and will keep an account of the things that you have listed.  However i was wondering what etc might be, any thing else that you keep track of besides what you have specifically listed.

Also, do you keep a seperate journal when you are scouting?

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:55 am

Welcome to this great passion we call hunting.
Not really I guess that the ect... isn't necessary. I do like to try to state my opinions on why the deer were doing what they were doing when I saw them.
No i don't keep a separate journal for scouting I use the date book for that. ie. first scrape showed up today.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:12 am

We have a camp where not all of us can meet at the same time to hunt so I've created a Deer Camp Hunting Notes spreedsheet to log observances while in the field.  Things like what Stand/Location Hunted, Deer Sightings/Hits/Misses, Deer Sign Observed, and the always import Weather Conditions/Moon/Wind Direction. We haven't started using it yet but the rest of the guys think it's a good idea.  If we get to hunt New Year's weekend I'll probably start it then and back date it to when I killed my doe Dec. 5th.  That is the only deer that's been shot at our camp so far this season, damn coyotes.  In SW Alabama the real rut kicks in near the end of December thru January so hopefully things will be better then. 

Next

Return to General Discussions