Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
69Viking

RE: Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:14 am

Demoderby4 and Massdeer have at it!  Like I said it's just a simple excel spreadsheet you keep electronically or print out and write in your entries.  I think everyone here has some great ideas.  I especially like the idea of a website that tracks the weather data for you!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:21 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking  I especially like the idea of a website that tracks the weather data for you!

While it doesn't contain everything that one needs, it does have some historical data. Plug in your area and date hit enter:

[font="times new roman"]http://www.wunderground.com/history/[/font]

I do not keep a journal. I did used to keep an offshore journal for a couple years but found the time needed to fully benefit from it wasn't available to me.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:20 pm

I just started this year I just type things like the time I got to the stand temp wind how many deer I see and the ranges I had them at. If I kill something I will log the date time weapon weight points and age..

Woody

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Yes I also keep a faithful journal. Every hunt. I record the wind, temp., time, hunting companions, and also write a detailed story of what happened on that particular hunt. What worked and what didnt work. It is interesting to see certain dates and times of year that deer are active from year to year.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:10 pm

ORIGINAL: Woody

...and also write a detailed story of what happened...

If you are like me, I'll bet you occasionally pick out a story at random and read it. It's great to sit in July and read the story of a hunt in November. It can take you right back there.

Woody

Postby Woody » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:27 pm

You are exactly right JPH. I enjoy reading about past hunts. Refreshing myself with sucessfull hunts and the hunts that weren't so sucessfull. Every hunt is a learning experience IMO and definitly worth writing down.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:46 pm

Every time I go out I put down the weather conditions, time of day, stand location, barometer, wind, etc...and then any other details about how many deer I saw, where they came out, how they acted, etc.  This is all done on my 'hunting' outlook calendar.
QDM!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:25 pm

I also have and use a hunters journal.
Most every time, I will document my hunts in a simple hard covered record book you can find at bookstores.

I will list the date, time and temperature, and right in a short story what happened through that days hunt.
I will list within the "story" the time I got on stand, the overall weather condition, who I hunted with, where and on what stand, what type of weapon,(bow or gun, and what gun I had), also what I had seen as far as deer, or if any shot or kill was made. I also indicate any other animals I may have seen and how I felt during my hunt...cold, too hot, bitten by a thousand mosquito's etc.,
And lately... I will also describe coming home from my hunt, with my daughter and or nephew, sometimes seeing deer or turkey in areas we can't hunt.
And with the deer I do take home, I'll write about the processing of them and who's with me and helping.
Its real nice to be able to go back and read all the past years hunts and stories. 

Previous

Return to General Discussions