Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Massdeer

RE: Do you keep a deer hunting journal?

Postby Massdeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:21 am

If its an electronic spreadsheet i'd love to take a look at it!

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:27 am

I've kept one for years. Used to be a notebook. Now it's a laptop. I record everything relevant to the hunt. I am a freelance writer so these entries help with story development. I record not only deer hunting, but trout fishing, grouse hunting, turkey hunting; basically anything outdoors.

I also output copies and bind them in a book for our cabin upnorth for visitors to enjoy.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:31 am

Sometimes and it is on my pc/web. I think I will start using a written journal and doing it as part of my routine starting next year.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:30 am

Here is a picture of mine, just use excel to create it.  Then you can fill it out electronically on a computer/laptop or print it out and post it at the camp for others to write on if they choose.  Just remember if it's a log you share to only put information down you don't mind others seeing.  Keep certain secrets to yourself or someone might get the deer you did all the work scouting for!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:48 am

Don't mean to Hi-Jack this thread, but the more I have thought about this the more important I think this really is.

I found this on a website and it sums up why a journal is important.

"There is a comfort that comes from reading it. I can see my father and hear his voice. His journals were hand written - not like the computer typed records I keep today. I love just to see his handwriting...and to know that he wanted to remember his hunts...to remember the days he spent with 'his boys' in the marsh. I continue that today....with notes about my hunts with my own son, brother and friends. I include pictures now as part of the word documents I create. As I sit in the check station parking lot of any refuge - waiting to get in, I always have my binder full of memories. It not only helps to pass the time as I wait to be called to get in to the refuge...but it brings back my childhood...and what life was really like hanging out with my dad."

I've usually written down simple notes about my trips, but nothing really organized. This year I will embark on a new chapter and start to keep a detailed journal. I'm going to think of them as my hunting memoirs. I can't wait to read them in twenty years and think about all the places I've been and all of the memories I've had. Remember, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

There is no need to spend a fortune on a journal; it can be as simple as a spiral notebook or a simple binder. But remember, you want to be able to keep these forever and be able to pass them down to your children and your children's children. You may want to consider a leather wrapped journal. The rustic feel and smell of tanned leather is the perfect accompaniment to hunter's belongings. Try to find one that can utilize over the counter refills. Also, heavier weight paper will cost you a bit more, but the quality will allow it to last forever. There are many small companies out there that make custom journals, and most can personalize your journal for a small fee.

With the majority of hunters now carrying digital cameras in the field, if the opportunity presents you may want to consider adding photos to your journal. Many of the companies I speak of also make journals that can hold pictures. If not, simply print them out and include them somewhere in your journal.

And remember, if not for you, do it for your family."
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

balck squirrel

Postby balck squirrel » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:06 am

I am new to the site, but have been hunting for a while now. I use several journals. First, I use a notebook, second an electronic website that is great, I won't mention the name because I 'm not sure if I can or not, and also a stand alone journal, that you can buy at local sports store, and run on a computer, but is not connected to any website.. They all have diferrent features that I like. The website allows you to enter a locality which automatically gets weather data for the day and time you hunted. then you can generate reports from this data. You can also run reports for which stands you are seeing deer from. There are many other things I can do just with playing with different variables. The other computer program allows you to download maps and as some good mapping features.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:59 am

I journal every hunt.  Even if I don't see a deer, I'll document date, temps, wind direction, and any unique things (ie. had a squirrell come by 6 inches from my face).

I've been journaling for about 6 years now.  I love going back and reading my old entries.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:10 am

Viking-- I like the excel format journaling you do, looks like a reliable and successful way to do things, i might have to steal your idea come next year [;)]

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:24 am

Viking, that is definately i great idea!!!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:50 am

....also....

Mine is just a simple spiral notebook.  In addition to what I wrote above, I'll will document who was in the hunting party, who shot what, first hunt with my son / daughers / wife, scouting observations, general comments like "I miss hunting with so-and-so", etc.

I plan to give it to my son when he's older.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions