Food Plot Equipment

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

Food Plot Equipment

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 am

Hey guys (and gals!).  This last year was the first year I really experimented with food plots.  My parents live on a hobby farm so we've always had the ag crops around but wanted to try a few things, specially late season forages, just for deer. 

My question is that I'm looking for a good sprayer for a four-wheeler to use for round-up, fertilizer, etc, and wanted to know if any of you had any recommendations or any places to look?  Also, as far as the sprayer goes, would I need to switch tanks between spraying with roundup, and then with fertilizer, or will a good wash do the trick?

Thanks, and happy hunting!
QDM!

wordbird

RE: Food Plot Equipment

Postby wordbird » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:24 am

I don't know where you're located but in the south, our Farmers Cooperatives have a great sprayer for mowers/ATVs. I have a 25 gal that has a single ban spray nozzle that will cover 20'. I have used it with round up, washed it and then sprayed herbicides without any problems. Good luck.
"The trophy is in the eye of the beholder."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:33 am

I would check Cabelas or Basspro locally if you have one, if not then online.  I have their catalogs and both have a lot of gear for ATVs.  As far as separate tanks I think you'd be fine with just rinsing it out good after using the roundup.  Also check out Biologic's BioMaxx for food plots, I just read about it this weekend and I'm thinking about giving it a try this spring.  It's a corn and soybean combination that is "roundup ready" in other words 27 days after planting you spray with roundup to control weeds but not harm the corn or soybeans.  The soybeans produce nitrogen that helps the corn produce a better crop. 

http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=13&section=spring

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:56 am

One of the plots I did try this year was the BioMaxx...BUT, never sprayed it and didn't fertilize, which turned out to be a huge mistake.  My corn only made it about four feet high, and I got tons of weeds in there.  Thinking of putting some more in the year...We'll see.  Going to do some research on some other late season plots like Trophy Oats, Buck Forage Oats, etc....I had some Maximum in too and the deer just destroyed it after the first freeze.  I was hoping to have some available for late season but not this year....It's already gone! [:'(]

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 am

Buckhunter21- We planted a 3 acre RR soybean field this year and I burrowed this sprayer from a guy at work. It doesn't look like much but it worked awesome and is simple. They carry them at fleet farm and their around $250 I believe. Well be buying one soon for next year.
http://www.fimcoindustries.com/lg1500.htm
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:21 pm

Goose...I've seen that one at Fleet Farm and may give it a look come spring.  I don't think they have them in stock anymore, or at least last time I was there they weren't, which makes sense.  $250 is pretty reasonable.  How did it work for you?  Did you use both roundup, fertilizer and herbicide with it?  Pretty user friendly?
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 pm

We used round up and a water conditioner for the round up in it. The guy I burrowed it from uses it to fertilize his lawn with so I assume it works good for that.
It worked well, better than I thought it would. Don't get the wrong impression its not a huge boom where 2 swipes and your done but it works good for what we needed. Don't know if you want a pull behind as the one I showed you or one that sits on the back of your ATV? If its gonna be rough terrain you might want one that mounts onto your ATV but I think when we get one it will be a pull behind.
Its very user friendly and simple. Its got a long set of wires you hook up to your battery (we used a separate battery that we put on the ATV rack) with a switch on it for off and on. Its got a pump and some hoses along with a hand wand. everything is easy to get at and would be easy to replace if necessary.
I was happy with it and would recommend it.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info Goose...Def. going to keep all that in mind when puchasing one this coming spring!  No inferior food plots this year! [:D]

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:07 am

BH21, I'll give you another good tip as far as what you choose to plant. If your ground is not in real good shape as far as being weedy and low pH, I would not spend a lot of money on seed. The best seed for the bang and the $ in less than desirable soil conditions is winter wheat. You'll waste a ton of money on high dollar seed that do not reach their potential without well maintained soil. I know this from years of planting in these types of soil on various leases.
"The trophy is in the eye of the beholder."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am

We purchased ours at Tractor Supply then added a boom later.  Don't get less than 25 gallon capacity, and make sure the boom gives you adequate coverage - 15 feet minimum should insure you cover everything you want to cover.  Anything less and you'll end up missing spots or overspraying.  Using a sprayer on an ATV is not quite the same as using one on a tractor - you can definately get messed up on where you've been and where you're going if the plot has any size to it. Make sure the sprayer as the spot sprayer wand with it.

Our rule of thumb is we wash the tank out three times after using Roundup. Haven't seemed to have any problems.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to General Discussions