Food Plot Equipment

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
billcurry

RE: Food Plot Equipment

Postby billcurry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 am

I am guessing a perennial-from my experience in the field it will grow like crazy in the spring and than it gets a big seed head like typical wheat-when that happens you can use a 4 wheeler and a old metal bed spring to nock off the seeds and they should grow for you if God gives you some rain.

Not sure why its called winter wheat-I went to the seed mill and asked for some and they gave some bags of wheat...I could only assume it was winter wheat.  Ask around thou on the forum and see if other guys have had late season success with winter wheat.  I can say I never have had any late season success once we get more than 2 or 3 inches of snow.  Its killer for me like in July thru early Sept and then its kinda hit and miss after that with all the other food (beans, acorns, etc.)
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:23 am

ranwin33, you bring up a good point.  The bigger tank does save time on refills especially if you have foods plots all over the property or simply at a great distance from the water source.  I used my buddies 25 gal ATV sprayer and was thankful for the extra carrying capacity.  I have food plots 3/4 of a mile from the water source and not to mention once I am back deep in the woods and over and thru the swamp I dont want to have to make a second trip back to finish my plot.  I would go bigger for sure especially if your doing burning too.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am

Hey buckhunter21,

I would check out the Fimco 25 gal. boomless sprayer. It has a 30 ft spray coverage and fits on the back rack of your atv. They sell at Tractor Supply for about $380.00. Highly recommended. I agree with going the the 25 gal. tank as well. They come in handy when you need it. Make sure that your pump pressure is enough as well. The boomless sprayer on this particual sprayer allows you to get into tight spots without using a boom.

Good luck. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:43 pm

ORIGINAL: billcurry

I am guessing a perennial-from my experience in the field it will grow like crazy in the spring and than it gets a big seed head like typical wheat-when that happens you can use a 4 wheeler and a old metal bed spring to nock off the seeds and they should grow for you if God gives you some rain.

Not sure why its called winter wheat-I went to the seed mill and asked for some and they gave some bags of wheat...I could only assume it was winter wheat.  Ask around thou on the forum and see if other guys have had late season success with winter wheat.  I can say I never have had any late season success once we get more than 2 or 3 inches of snow.  Its killer for me like in July thru early Sept and then its kinda hit and miss after that with all the other food (beans, acorns, etc.)

Sounds like you'd almost be better planting soybeans since they get hit pretty hard in the late fall/winter when nothing else is available (from my experience anyways).  Hm, I'll have to do some more research and asking about this.  Thanks!

Maybe it would be smart to get a bigger size sprayer.  I'll look into it.  We don't have huge plots, but we'll see.  Right now we have a Kawasaki three-wheeler so I'm not sure if any of those would fit on the back rack of it, but maybe?  Upgrading to a newer four-wheeler this next year hopefully. 
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:56 pm

Some interesting points made, might have to look into the 25 gal as well when we get one. Cant be to much bigger but the mighty $ will probably effect my choice more. I know we could get by with a 15 but 25 might be nice.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to General Discussions