Food Plot Equipment

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

RE: Food Plot Equipment

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 pm

ORIGINAL: wordbird

BH21, I'll give you another good tip as far as what you choose to plant. If your ground is not in real good shape as far as being weedy and low pH, I would not spend a lot of money on seed. The best seed for the bang and the $ in less than desirable soil conditions is winter wheat. You'll waste a ton of money on high dollar seed that do not reach their potential without well maintained soil. I know this from years of planting in these types of soil on various leases.

I don't really know too much about Winter Wheat...Is that a good northern zone plot (WI)?  Can you tell me a little more about it?  Sidenote, we just put down 3 ton/acre this fall so hopefully that brings the pH up a bit.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

We purchased ours at Tractor Supply then added a boom later.  Don't get less than 25 gallon capacity, and make sure the boom gives you adequate coverage - 15 feet minimum should insure you cover everything you want to cover.  Anything less and you'll end up missing spots or overspraying.  Using a sprayer on an ATV is not quite the same as using one on a tractor - you can definately get messed up on where you've been and where you're going if the plot has any size to it. Make sure the sprayer as the spot sprayer wand with it.

Our rule of thumb is we wash the tank out three times after using Roundup. Haven't seemed to have any problems.

Don't get a tank smaller than 25 gall you think?  Hm.  Our food plots aren't huge.  What size do you use Goose?
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:55 pm

We used the 15 gallon one and thats the one we'll be getting. We have a 3 acre field and the only spots we missed were on the corners and those were very small spots. Probably 3 different spots with a little grass in them. I'm not making cash crops so I can deal with that and if it really bothers you,, you could spray those spots with the hand wand afterwards. We are going to be putting in some small "hunting" plots this year so the smaller sprayer will be better for us. If you got huge fields and room for a big boom sprayer then you probably want one, but in tight corners and smaller fields the 15 gallon one will work for us.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:05 pm

I like the looks of that sprayer goose!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Yea, I think we'll go with the smaller tank as well...Our plots aren't that huge.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Like WordBird mentioned...if your looking for something to use in a food plot that will still be around in late season hunting winter wheat will last on into spring and will help with other wildlife/turkeys in the Spring.Another crop that is suppose to last into late winter is the Whitetail Institutes Winter Greens.We planted Brassicas,Rape Seed,and turnips this past fall and they are still holding up now in december,especially the turnips.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:27 pm

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Like WordBird mentioned...if your looking for something to use in a food plot that will still be around in late season hunting winter wheat will last on into spring and will help with other wildlife/turkeys in the Spring.Another crop that is suppose to last into late winter is the Whitetail Institutes Winter Greens.We planted Brassicas,Rape Seed,and turnips this past fall and they are still holding up now in december,especially the turnips.

Yea, I put out Biologic Maximum out this year and it worked pretty well.  Maybe I'll try some Winter Wheat this year.  Do any guys know where I can get seed for that?

billcurry

Postby billcurry » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:51 pm

As far as the winter wheat, you can get that from most any FS coop or seed company (Olson's Mill in Berlin wi or FS in Wautoma wi).  I planted winter wheat about 3 or 4 years ago in some old farm fields.  It took really well and requires virtually no maintainance where I hunt in the sandy soils of Marquette County. I even turned it all under this year with a disc and it grew back even thicker! The deer by me love the winter wheat all summer long and right up to the first to weeks of bow season.  After that the acorns, soybeans, corn, etc. all seem to start looking better for them.  The deer will occasionally hit those fields in the fall before the snow, but after the snow I havent seen one deer in 3 years paw away the snow to eat any winter wheat. The winter wheat greens up super fast in the spring and the deer and turkeys cant seem to get enough then.  Its super cheap and easy to plant and I would recommend it if you are on a budget or have an extra field you want to plant real cheap.
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for the info billcurry!  Just a couple questions...Is this an annual or perennial?  I was under the impression it was an annual but then you said you disced it and it came back stronger than ever.  Also, I thought this would be a good late season crop but doesn't sound that way.  Why do they call it winter wheat then?  lol

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:00 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Yea, I think we'll go with the smaller tank as well...Our plots aren't that huge.

My feeling is that you can always run with 15 gallons in a 25 gallon tank, but you can't run with 25 gallons in a 15 gallon tank, so why not go bigger.  Both will fit on back of your ATV and the larger one might save you trips for re-fills.  We also use ours as back up for fire suppression when we burn a field, in those instances the more water on hand the better.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions