Best deer States in the Country

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Best deer States in the Country

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:18 am

Hey guys im going into the air force
and i want to work on a base somewhere in a great deer hunting state
I was thinking North Dakota, Kansas, Illinois
what other great states are there

JPH

RE: Best deer States in the Country

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:34 am

First of all congratulations on your choice! I did a stint in The AF and a brief one in the Army as well. Thank you for your willingness to serve us and I wish you well.

BUT (please do not read any lack of patriotism in this), recruiters lie. Deer hunting is going to be the least of your worries while on active duty. While you may be able to do a little hunting on your off time, I would suggest seeking an assignement baised on factors other than hunting.

However, your question is your question. My first choice (if hunting is the biggest factor) would be Alaska. You've got your whole life to hunt deer. many of us will never see Alaska, and you can do it on the AF's dime. [;)]

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:36 am

Any state in the Midwest produce quality deer; there really isn't an issue there.  Another thing you might want to look into is access to hunting land - this is where I believe it starts getting tougher.  I have heard (no experience on my part, just hearsay) that states like Texas, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa and very little quality hunting land that is not leased out, meaning it might be hard to a person new to the state to build the connections to find quality hunting territory.  States like Indiana (my home state) used to have tons of accessible land but I see more and more leased every year.

Anyway, good luck with your state choice - keep us posted.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:37 am

First congratulations on your decision to serve your country...I'm military as well (USMC) and it was one of the most rewarding career choices I had made.  Regardless of where you are stationed keep in mind most military installations are somewhat remote and offer recreational hunting/fishing opportunites, so i don't think it will matter much (from a hunting perspective) where you are stationed.  For instance I work at Ft. Monmouth NJ and they have a reciprical agreement with Earle NWS down the road and the deer herd is just unbelievable...driving in you see deer at the front gate!!  Having said that, I'm not sure what the Airforce offers in Maryland but if you look at the B&C and P&Y records some of the biggest bucks have been taken in that state...of course the other ones you mentioned harbor some niced size deer as well...personally I'd look more at what the installation has to offer in terms of facilities and billeting.  Also keep in mind when your on active duty your going to change duty stations every 2-4 years and at times are at the mercy of your career monitor.  Best of luck!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 am

I totally agree with JPH, you might not want to focus on going to a prime deer hunting state while in the service like JPH said, its going to be the least of your worries while serving. But if that's what your heart is set on i would say Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Kansas, and Texas are all great Deer hunting states, come to Michigan even, we might not have the biggest but their is a HUGE population of em lol ;) good luck!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:29 am

There are very few deer in Iowa and those we have are quite small and sickly.

We don't have any Air Force bases either. Good luck elsewhere though.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:18 am

come to Michigan even, we might not have the biggest but their is a HUGE population of em lol ;) good luck!
   I'd sure as hell like to know where their all at!!!!

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:41 am

ORIGINAL: paulie

come to Michigan even, we might not have the biggest but their is a HUGE population of em lol ;) good luck!
   I'd sure as hell like to know where their all at!!!!

Ya me too [8|]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:33 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

There are very few deer in Iowa and those we have are quite small and sickly.

We don't have any Air Force bases either. Good luck elsewhere though.

LMAO...nice try JPH, I know for a fact you guys have a few well hidden "Silos" and the bruisers to match!!!  I am so coming out your way soon :)

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:37 am

[;)]

Look me up.

Next

Return to General Discussions