Best deer States in the Country

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeanoZ

RE: Best deer States in the Country

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

[;)]

Look me up.

Absolutely!!!  How else am I going to figure out all the good spots ;)

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:54 am

I'd turn over the location of the silos first. [:D]

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm

To mag and paulie.... Ive seen about 20 deer up in the thumb my last two trips (about 12 tonight) just gotta figure out where they go when the seasons change. I almost always see deer when im up there esp this time of the year.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 pm

To echo the others, thank you for your decision to serve our great Country, we`ll be forever indebted to you.

I have no idea where the bases are located, but as for great deer, Illinois, Iowa, (Sorry JPH), Kansas, Ohio, West Virginia, and undoubtedly, there are some sleepers around too, such as Kentucky, (a semi-sleeper), and of course Michigan.

I hope you keep in touch with all of us here, and let us know how to contact you. We`ll send issues of D&DH if recruit pay doesn`t allow that luxury.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:37 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

There are very few deer in Iowa and those we have are quite small and sickly.

We don't have any Air Force bases either. Good luck elsewhere though.

I echo the same sentiments about WI! :D

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:03 am

Congrats on your decision. Ex-Navy myself and my son is a junior and is looking into joining the Navy or Air Force after graduation in 2010.

My advice for anyone joining up is try and go officer wether going to college first and going ROTC or some other means. Ivestigate all of your options thouroughly and good luck.

Ranking states is hard to do cuase there is deer in them all. Personally I would look for the not so famous ones cuase by now every state that is whitetail paradise is probably overrun and overhunted.

So from that angle here is how I would rank them (completely unscientific and totally biased):

1. Kentucky (Up and coming if not already there as a new Deer Mecca). The whole state is a great mix of agriculture and habitat.
2. Indiana (Just cause I have seen some good deer here and I live here).
3. Illinois, Iowa, and Ohio are tied here just cause they are corn belt states just like Indiana. Food just about everywhere for hungry deer.
5. Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska Better diversity of deer you can hunt (I beleive there are Mulies in all three)
6. Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota. (Get the best of farm raised deer in southern parts of state and can hunt big woods deer in northern areas)
7. Texas - Began QDMA, just got the sheer size and numbers.
8. The rest of the lower 48.

Honorable mention and probably tops in all other hunting bar none: Alaska

Would love to go just cause: Canada and New Zealand

Remeber you are in the military and have the opportunity to see the world. I saw alot of it (lots of water too).
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:09 am

Prior AF here and I would agree with JPH, ALASKA!!!!!!!

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 am

I'm glad folks are finally starting to take notice of Kentucky.  I have found the deer in the Greater Ohio Valley in general to be plentiful and huge.  Kentucky owns a large part of that.   If you're a bow hunter, I would lean more towards SE Ohio, because of the seasons. However, the shotgun season is -- well, shotgun season, and it comes after Thanksgiving.  Residents in Indiana have good deer, but the non-resident licensing and seasons are lousy.  Everyone knows about southern Illiinois.  Of all the states I've mentioned, Kentucky seems to have it all-- liberal seasons, reasonable non-resident rules, and  a reasonably long centerfire rifle season during the peak of the rut.

This is a harvest map, not a deer herd map.  Harvest has a lot to do with the number of hunters out in a given area.  Some areas along the Ohio have low harvest numbers, but plenty of deer.  Any county along the Ohio that is in Zone 1 is going to produce. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:46 am

Don't forget about Montana,

White tails, muleys, elk, prone horn, a hunters dream.

http://www.deerhuntingbigbucks.com/2008/01/28/deer-hunting-big-bucks-top-ten-dream-hunting-trips/

Here's a link of the top 10 states 2008

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 am

ORIGINAL: shaman
I'm glad folks are finally starting to take notice of Kentucky. 

Me too.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions