Best deer States in the Country

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: Best deer States in the Country

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:17 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

I'm glad folks are finally starting to take notice of Kentucky. 

Might want to re-think that in a few years. 

Here in Missouri all our big deer migrate north to Iowa.  Doesn't pay to hunt here at all.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:20 am

Ohio, montana, Iowa, Kansas, Illionios, south dokota, north dokota, wisconsion..maybe wyoming nebraska kentucky, oklahoma..anywhere in the mid west...large farms and sparse populations = big whitetails

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm

If you want multiple animals to hunt I would go with Montana if it is only big whitetails you want look at Wisconsin Iowa Illinois or Kansas,, ahhh maybe Missouri...

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Hey DXT, does the AF give you a choice???? If so, that's awesome. But if I recall correctly, most AF bases are in or near the flatlands and that means good deer hunting ( KN, TX, IN, ND,SD, etc). Good luck to you an the "wild blue yonder"! I have to admit I'm a smidge jealous. I tried the AF academy when I was a young man but could not get accepted. Do us proud and thanks!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:20 pm

ORIGINAL: keystonehunter

does the AF give you a choice????

Kind of, IF giving you a choice fits within the AF needs. But remember, recruiters lie!

Here is a map of stateside bases, but if memory serves Alaska and Hawaii are considered overseas assignments.

MikeSWOhio

Postby MikeSWOhio » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 am

AS a USMC Veteran I would like to say thanks, and echo the sentiments of others who have wisely stated that hunting should, and most likely will be, the least of your concerns while in the service. That being said I will throw in Ohio as a great deer state. We have a large population coupled with large public areas to hunt. If you were stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB you would have everything you could want in a great duty station plus access to great hunting. I would say our average deer field dress at around 130. I would caution though that success in Ohio often comes far from the beaten path and deer must remain intact. That means no packing an animal out. Most of the public land I use do not allow ATV's, so dragging is the only way to get your deer to the road. My advice: bring a friend!

Previous

Return to General Discussions