Your thoughts on trail markers

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
striker

Your thoughts on trail markers

Postby striker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:55 am

I was out last week with my nephew and we hiked a couple of miles back in the woods and planned on staying out until dark which meant we would be hiking back a long way in the dark. I put out some flagging tape in a few spots just to be on the safe side. On the way back I didn't see any of my markers but we got out with no problem. I go out the next day to find that the reason I didn't see them is that they were ripped off all the trees I had marked. I first thought maybe the guy who took them off thought of it the same as littering but that proved to be wrong because I found a few laying on the trail. I can't see that he was trying to hide a route into the woods because that particular route is already well used by quite a few hunters. Maybe he sees it as a lack of woodsmanship and he's trying to teach me a lesson I don't know. I'm only talking about a few markers over the course of over a mile so it wasn't like they were on every other tree. Mostly they were placed along a couple of streams to show the best spot to cross. What are your thoughts?

mag30079

RE: Your thoughts on trail markers

Postby mag30079 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:30 am

I used the ribbin for a few years and found the same results as you. People just rip them off the trees. This year I got some reflective tacks. They work very well, with a red lense flash light. Or any light for that matter. On opening day of gun season it was like following a run way. I looked for them after day light and had a hard time locating them. There only a buck or two for a pack.
Give them a try.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:31 am

Some people just do it to be pricks! I hate it but hey, there are people out there like that. Anyway I to use the tacks.. I put them on the bottom of the tree. Ive noticed that less people look at the bottom of a tree rather than the middle of a tree.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 am

I use a ribbon to mark the place I enter the woods and then I use the tacks attached to my deer stand to locate it in the dark. I am however fortunate enough to hunt my own woods so I don't have people messing with stuff to much.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:29 am

I have put the orange Engineer's tape up on private land in the past with no problem . Only used it once on state land and it had been removed . Nothing like a GPS now . The Woods Jerks can't mess with that !
Semper Fi !

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:37 am

I use the refelctive tacks as well..they work great and as others said, they are hard to pick up by others if yu don't know to look for them...of course a GPS would be great as well

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:27 pm

i take em down and put em in my pocket because they are an eyesore.I also pick up other peoples garbage,what a jerk i am
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

striker

Postby striker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks for the response I guess I'll go with the tacks. Yeah Joel your right.

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:40 pm

There's also limb lights, there reflective twist ties you put on a branch and when hit with a light from any dirrection will be seen!!! Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:29 am

some people are morons
either they are anti hunters and dont want you to find your stand
maybe they dont want you to get a deer
people are jealous creatures

Next

Return to General Discussions