Coyotes how many can we get

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Coyotes how many can we get

Postby dxthunter57 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 am

ok from reading the last post were the yotes got part of his deer
lets see how many coyotes we can all get within one week
just for fun
if anyone would like to join let me know

JPH

RE: Coyotes how many can we get

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:13 am

Umm....I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea.

I consider coyotes to be a rival predator but I'm not convinced they are the scourge of the wilds I once thought they were. I am not above shooting the occasional 'yote, in fact I enjoy it, but I think that we should tailor our coyote kill to match the population and the number of pelts we can handle.

I'm afraid that if we encourage the mentality that we should kill as many as possible, we run the risk of acting in an inhumane or unethical manner. I may be wrong, but it's food for thought.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 am

I have to agree with JPH here. It does seem as though it would create "a mob mentality", poulation control is one thing, "kill as many as you can" is a bit extreme. Thats my opinion anyway.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:37 am

...it would still be neat to share stories of any coyote kills.

I haven't had the chance this year, but will certainly put the smack down on a coyote if given the chance.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 am

they are a bunch of pesky critters and i am all for taking one out here and there but to just flat out kill the whole population in a week or so is the wayto go about the problem.
although i have yet had the chanxce to take out one of those yotes but i am almost postivie there was either a bobcat or a coyote growling under my stand opening morning but it was to dark to see and i didnt have a flashlight.[:D]
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:53 am

I generally don't go out of my way to hunt coyote and feral dogs.  However, when they present themselves, I always feel obliged to thin the pack. 

The dog control officer uses my place as he pleases, taking shots up to 600 yards with his 338 Lapua and 308 Win. In fact, he likes to use my shooting table on the front porch when I'm not around.  James is retired now, but claimed he was pulling a half-ton of dead dog out of the county a month. That's a busy man.

Here's my last one:

Nobody Hunt's my Place Without Permission
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:22 pm

If were that easy I would have shot a coyote every day for the past 30 years [8|] the coyotes are very smart animals and it just isn't that easy to shot them in my opinion.When I'm out hunting and if a coyote comes in I will take them out and I have been out several times with my decoys and electronic caller and haven't called any in yet!I've had more luck when we brush hog the tall grass on our Farm and the Yotes come out to get the field mice! [;)]

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 pm

A long time ago the state had a bounty on them. You could also get $35 or $40 out of the pelts. Now they are almost worthless and people dont hunt them like they used to and it seems like there are more cyotes than ever.  I have shot on average just one cyote a year (usually while deer hunting) but would like to thin out a few more this year.
Today was the last day of a two day antlerless only season and I sat in a ground blind with the intention of shooting a cyote since the deer have not been moving in the high winds we have had this weekend. I did not see any though. The problem is they are difficult to hunt.  If you have dogs to run them, then you need permission to hunt on every acre in the county. Trapping is an alternative but that takes more time than I have to dedicate to cyotes. If I did have lots of time I would get one of the electronic rabbit lure/calls and try my luck.
For me, the best thing to do is to take a rifle with me when I check the trail cam or any other time I go out scouting or just walking and hope to get a shot at one. 

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 pm

In my area we seem to have coyotes all over the place.  We used to have an organized group of guys walk through all the land near us which was around 1000 acres or so and kick out coyotes.  They got permission from all the land owners and would normally get 3 or 4 a year.  This kept the coyote numbers down and kept the fawn and turkey population growing.  Well the last 2 years they haven't done it because some landowners backed out and it didn't work for them and in those 2 years we have noticed alot more coyotes around and more turkey nest destroyed when looking for mushrooms in the spring.  This year along we seen 5 on stand and we would never see them.  That's just my opinion.

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Hunted my ground blind last Fri. night, didn't see any deer but at the far end of the field on the other side of the ditch the coyotes were screaming so loud it sounded like a firetruck was stuck in the ditch. Nothing came in my way but 1 hr. later they were screaming again this time at the other end of the field. I think they maybe breeding now but not sure!!! Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

Next

Return to General Discussions