Coyotes how many can we get

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Squirrelhawker

RE: Coyotes how many can we get

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:49 am

You can defend coyotes all you want but you're not going to change my opinion of them. I will take a few out in hopes that I can convince the others to leave the area. Just like the two or three deer I shoot a year, shooting two or three coyotes isn't going to decimate their population. I look at it as predator population control not eradication.

Wildlife doesn't need "defending" in the sense that you mean it. I'm not trying to defend anything. Everything I have shared is biological fact. You can look it up. Or not. I can't make this stuff up. I'm not that smart.
Again I was just sharing information. I thought that's what we're supposed to do here. I'm sorry I couldn't jump up and say "kill 'em all" (Actually I'm gettin sorry-er by the second)

In case you're getting suspicous that I'm some kind of animal rights lurker, cruise my posts. Everytime, I have been involved in a discussion like this my agenda has been, and always will be, the truth. What is the truth. Wherever it leads.

By all means shoot coyotes. I never said don't shoot coyotes, or it was wrong to shoot coyotes, or you should change you're opinions about coyotes. I merely though it might be helpful to throw some facts out there so that we as hunters could be a bit more informed, and make the best decisions. If you think you can control coyotes by indiscriminately shooting every coyote you see, then by all means have at it. It's not liable to work, it hasn't worked for over 100 years, but this is America and you and I are able (so far) to make thoses kinds of decisions.

Okay, can I see a show of hands out there? Has anyone actually read and comprehended my posts?? [8|]

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

5 Dastardly, Deadly and Downright Dirty Tactics for Calling Winter Coyotes - Seems a big enough problem that Outdoor Life has a featured article on it!  If the link doesn't work you should be able to find it on www.outdoorlife.com

[font=helvetica]http://links.mkt747.com/ctt?kn=30&m=3818279&r=MzgyMzMyMzk2MAS2&b=0&j=MTA2Mjg4MjEyS0&mt=1&rt=0[/font]
[font=helvetica][/font] 
[font=helvetica][/font] 
[font=helvetica][/font] 

Or they thought it was a good idea to write a good article about predator hunting. Which is awesome. And I support that. Seriously.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:05 am

Squirrelhawker I have read your posts and I respect your opinion and the knowledge you bring to the table. 

Like I said in my previous post, my goal is to scare them back to where they came from.  Just 2 years ago not one picture on any of our trail cams and now this year several pictures.  If it was just one or two stray coyotes wondering around then I wouldn't see it a problem.  Pictures of 3 or more coyotes together in a pack cause concern when you combine that with less deer seen on stand and far fewer deer pictures taken. 

My goal is to take out a few and send the message it's not safe for them in their new area.  They weren't there two years ago so maybe they'll move back to where they came from.  If not for anything they'll make for good tarket practice since we're not seeing many deer to shoot at.  Again that is if we ever see one and get a good enough shot.  All the coyotes we've seen on stand so far have been moving pretty quick when we saw them and didn't stop to say "hi, shoot me"!   

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Squirrelhawke...As I started by saying Sorry its my opinion....and then again it's a sensitive subject...I shared my Experiances with yotes....
you stated your knowledge of them...fair enough we've both shared strong points..no harm no foul...[;)] 

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:21 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Squirrelhawk...because to say this is a sensitive subject for me is mild so I'll be brief......don't assume I know little about coyotes..or their habbits

DEC knew exactly what they were talking about and yes I was surrounded by 2 with another 3 standing near...I use to keep my hunting clothes in the goat barn...not any more

my goats the first ones ...of many were attacked in the barn just feet from our shepards kennel...by the way the dogs ripped out their front teeth trying to get out to stop the attack...the chickens taken next day were 15 # rock cornish and taken out of a 4ft high enclosure....The DEC came out and investigated this it wasn't dogs...

They have cost myself and neighbors alot of money in live stock deaths and have caused sheep and cattle farms to pack it up...the beef cattle have had calves taken as they were being birthed...

So please don't try to discuss these miserable animals with me....it's not domestic dogs snatching kids out of our paddick....those around us know I shoot to kill

I gotta tell you, what with nearly every member of your family almost being shot by neighbors, poachers running your property, disputes with neighbors hunting your fence line, TNT or some other hazardous waste disposed on your land, and now wild animals stalking you, I think I'd probably have to move.  Sounds to me like you keep staying there something bad might happen.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Ha ha ha ...ranwin33 ..when it's put down in one spot like that it sounds bizzar  doesn't it?...funny thing is thats just a little tiny bit of what crazy things happen around me.....truely  it use to get me down but now I just take it as God having a strange sense of humor...I don't normally put down my exact date of birth but well I was born on April fools day and strange happenings and well stranger accidents have been my lifes norm...many ppl that know me say I should write a book...but if I wasn't living it ...even I wouldn't believe it....Oh in my life I've moved 18 times...that never changed anything....just happy I survived most things with just pulls rips or breaks...well except last year my husbands dog bit half my pinky finger off...but I had a good surgeon(sp)and he had me out bow hunting a couple of weeks later...got an 8pt...so not so bad...lol [;)] 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Oh ...TNT was on the nieghbors land.....but think about it being in the country ...farm land...God only knows whats been buried on anyones land around here...the found a missing "mobbster" not far from here and 1/2 mile away a guy buried a old oil tanker and covered it with clay...to grow pot....his daughter turned him in...lifes a funny thing

Previous

Return to General Discussions