Coyotes how many can we get

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
schlupis

RE: Coyotes how many can we get

Postby schlupis » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:56 pm

I am not going to kill every coyote I see but I am going to try and kill a couple this year. I always wanted a full body mount of a coyote going after a grouse.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:50 am

Sorry guys i didnt mean it to come out like that
no i dont want to just have a mob mentality
i was thinking we could have a [post and for one week
when out in the woods just keep on coyote reports if you have shot one while deer hunting
if you had an encounter with one
cool stuff like that

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Yeah, i mean i have no problem with a guy takin out a coyote if theres just too many and there causin problems; but i dont like killin them just cause we can. Man was givin power over all creatures and thats a big responsibility that shouldnt be takin lightly. (in my opinion anyway.)

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Sorry guys and I know I'm opinionated but....you can kill every single one of those nasty SOB...sorry but I've lost goats and kids(baby goats)...rabbits and chickens to them and I was tracked and surrounded by them while walking to stand one morning(DEC said I was breakfast)...lets not even mention loosing and eight pointer to them....ya NO love loss here...we have fox...owls...hawks ..and even eagle to take care of rodents and such...so I see no need for yotes...

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:21 am

I'd rather listen to them howl at night than shoot them.  The locals seem to keep the population pretty well pared down - can't say that they're really effecting our deer herd all that much if at all.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 am

Where I hunt in Alabama we never had coyotes before this year.  We've had cameras out for 3 years and just this year they started showing up in our pics.  Deer pic numbers & sightings went down at the same time the yotes showed up so I feel no mercy in shooting those pests should they show up while I'm on stand.  They are smart though and rarely show themselves during the daytime.   

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:49 am

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

Where I hunt in Alabama we never had coyotes before this year.  We've had cameras out for 3 years and just this year they started showing up in our pics.  Deer pic numbers & sightings went down at the same time the yotes showed up so I feel no mercy in shooting those pests should they show up while I'm on stand.  They are smart though and rarely show themselves during the daytime.   

You may have experienced a disruption in your deer activity because coyotes are "new" to your area, but where I hunt the coyotes were in place before the deer herd began to restore itself. The coyotes appear to be an annoyance or maybe a minor threat to the deer population and nothing more.

I am not beyond shooting coyotes, but I have only managed to kill one in my whole life. They are quite crafty. I'm just saying that they are worthy of the same respect and lawful consideration as any other game animal.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:32 am

here in bureau county illinois,coyotes are everywhere.almost every evening when hunting our property,you can hear em yapping -then they cross the street,prowling-its just part of hunting-my dad shot a nice buck and had to let em go till next morning, because of a gut shot.when we found him at 6am the hind quarters were gone-one night-hes gotten 1 this year w -crossbow,and i got my first one 2 years ago with compound bow-it was a difficult shot w-bow from a stand, but i anchored him,he only stopped for a second.if your deer gets eaten like that it makes you a little salty, but thats just what coyotes do-part of the cycle.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:25 am

They are filthy stinking creatures. Takes 50 skinned rabbits to equal the stink from one cyote. I dont have a problem taking them out when they offer a shot.
By the way Jonny5buck, Happy Birthday!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:02 am

Coyotes get blamed for lots of things. And it has gone on for years. Like any potential nuisance animal, sometimes it can pay to remove one or two. More on that in a minute.

We have predators, because we have prey. It is usually a self limiting dynamic. The coyotes relationship with deer is to typically take the very young or the very old. Or, the very compromised- deep snow,etc.
Deer populations can fluctuate for a lot of reasons that have little to do with coyotes. Changing habitat, loss of habitat, over harvesting, etc.
When some hunters come up empty or do not see enough deer, they immediately blame the closest animal with binocular vision as the culprit.

Man has tried to eliminate the coyote for over 100 years. The result has been more coyotes. The trouble with removal is that it is not a question of just killing coyotes indiscriminately. It is rather, which one(s)? It is often the coyote that we don't see that is the one that may need a bullet.
Most of think that if we can just kill enough of them, things will be better, the way we want, the way they should be,etc.

I think if someone wants to hunt predators for the awesomeness of it all, I support that. But, anyone that thinks they will improve things by declaring war on the species, you might as well stay home.

As soon as you kill an alpha female it will signal all subordinate coyotes in the area that it is time to get pregnant.

If you think you're hearing a pack of 6 or 8 it is most likely 1 or 2  They produce a multi-timbral call just for that reason.

It is easier to list what a coyote won't eat rather then what it will. And most of that is vegetation and small rodents of one kind or another.

If you get stalked by a coyote during spring turkey season, just stand up or move your gun. They will bug out and most of the time you haven't screwed your set-up. You can shoot if you want to- (see above)

Would I ever tip a coyote over? Never without what I considered a good reason. Not just 'cause they are there. Ironically, I think most of the people that want to form a posse could not, if they thought about it, ever imagine a world without coyotes. 

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions