Coyotes how many can we get

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Squirrelhawker

RE: Coyotes how many can we get

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:15 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Sorry guys and I know I'm opinionated but....you can kill every single one of those nasty SOB...sorry but I've lost goats and kids(baby goats)...rabbits and chickens to them and I was tracked and surrounded by them while walking to stand one morning(DEC said I was breakfast)...lets not even mention loosing and eight pointer to them....ya NO love loss here...we have fox...owls...hawks ..and even eagle to take care of rodents and such...so I see no need for yotes...

Anyone free-ranging small stock or in open unprotected pens is going to experience loss from time to time. Not to mention that it is often another animal that is the culprit. (not saying it wasn't in your case). A carcass killed by a dog looks much different than a yote. Many have no clue of this.

If you're three feet tall, I may buy the  coyote surrounding. Otherwise your local DEC officer is sadly mistaken. Lot's of animals are curious about us. I have been followed by deer and raccoon.

Leaving a deer out overnight, sometimes cannot be helped. But blaming another animal for not ignoring that vital resource makes little sense.

Obviously there is a need for the coyote, or else it would not exist.

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:42 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Obviously there is a need for the coyote, or else it would not exist.

Kinda like the need for a mosquito!
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

Where I hunt in Alabama we never had coyotes before this year.  We've had cameras out for 3 years and just this year they started showing up in our pics.  Deer pic numbers & sightings went down at the same time the yotes showed up so I feel no mercy in shooting those pests should they show up while I'm on stand.  They are smart though and rarely show themselves during the daytime.   

You may have experienced a disruption in your deer activity because coyotes are "new" to your area, but where I hunt the coyotes were in place before the deer herd began to restore itself. The coyotes appear to be an annoyance or maybe a minor threat to the deer population and nothing more.

I am not beyond shooting coyotes, but I have only managed to kill one in my whole life. They are quite crafty. I'm just saying that they are worthy of the same respect and lawful consideration as any other game animal.

The place where I hunt is 110 acres and surrounding it is clear cuts getting planted with pines.  The clear cuts and pines are of different ages making our situation good considering we are the main food source in the middle of all that cover and bedding area. 

The problem I think is the clear cuts moved the coyotes out onto our land of oak hardwoods mixed with maples and pines.  When you get pictures of a pack of 3-5 coyotes on a camera that's a problem in such a small area.  We have pictures of small spike buck walking past a camera and less than 10 minutes later a coyote is going the same direction down the trail with his nose to the ground following him.  We even have pictures of coyotes in broad daylight walking down a main trail. 

Since their arrival the deer sightings have gone down considerably, even pics of the deer at night have dropped.  The lawful consideration in Alabama is this, there is no limit to how many you can kill and no closed season.  I know they can't be eradicated and the chances of seeing them are slim but if I see one I'll do my part to reduce their numbers.  If I didn't see an obvious affect on the deer population I would leave them be.  

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:10 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Where I hunt in Alabama we never had coyotes before this year.  We've had cameras out for 3 years and just this year they started showing up in our pics.  Deer pic numbers & sightings went down at the same time the yotes showed up so I feel no mercy in shooting those pests should they show up while I'm on stand.  They are smart though and rarely show themselves during the daytime.   

You may have experienced a disruption in your deer activity because coyotes are "new" to your area, but where I hunt the coyotes were in place before the deer herd began to restore itself. The coyotes appear to be an annoyance or maybe a minor threat to the deer population and nothing more.

I am not beyond shooting coyotes, but I have only managed to kill one in my whole life. They are quite crafty. I'm just saying that they are worthy of the same respect and lawful consideration as any other game animal.

The place where I hunt is 110 acres and surrounding it is clear cuts getting planted with pines.  The clear cuts and pines are of different ages making our situation good considering we are the main food source in the middle of all that cover and bedding area. 

The problem I think is the clear cuts moved the coyotes out onto our land of oak hardwoods mixed with maples and pines.  When you get pictures of a pack of 3-5 coyotes on a camera that's a problem in such a small area.  We have pictures of small spike buck walking past a camera and less than 10 minutes later a coyote is going the same direction down the trail with his nose to the ground following him.  We even have pictures of coyotes in broad daylight walking down a main trail. 

Since their arrival the deer sightings have gone down considerably, even pics of the deer at night have dropped.  The lawful consideration in Alabama is this, there is no limit to how many you can kill and no closed season.  I know they can't be eradicated and the chances of seeing them are slim but if I see one I'll do my part to reduce their numbers.  If I didn't see an obvious affect on the deer population I would leave them be.  

I understand. We are all human, with human nature. Those coyotes of yours WISH they could run as fast that spike buck. Or cover the terrain like he can.
Florida, Alabama, California or Canada, the coyote has so many more easier ways to make a living. If a deer gets sick, injured or compromised-different story, but day in and day out, they can't afford the energy output for the maybe of bringing down a healthy whitetail.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Squirrelhawk...because to say this is a sensitive subject for me is mild so I'll be brief......don't assume I know little about coyotes..or their habbits

DEC knew exactly what they were talking about and yes I was surrounded by 2 with another 3 standing near...I use to keep my hunting clothes in the goat barn...not any more

my goats the first ones ...of many were attacked in the barn just feet from our shepards kennel...by the way the dogs ripped out their front teeth trying to get out to stop the attack...the chickens taken next day were 15 # rock cornish and taken out of a 4ft high enclosure....The DEC came out and investigated this it wasn't dogs...

They have cost myself and neighbors alot of money in live stock deaths and have caused sheep and cattle farms to pack it up...the beef cattle have had calves taken as they were being birthed...

So please don't try to discuss these miserable animals with me....it's not domestic dogs snatching kids out of our paddick....those around us know I shoot to kill

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm

more
So please don't try to discuss these miserable animals with me....

Ahh...isn't that the whole point of a forum?

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 am

the whole point of the forum was to try and see what yotes were doing around your negihborhood
he has  a problem with them i believe that
here at the farm where i hunt when a cow is born they are waiting around waiting for the calf mto drop out and than they kill it
you dont have problems with them
and thats fine

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:02 am

Squirrelhawker I think you're missing the point.  The presence of coyotes has chased the deer off the land and severely limited deer sightings and our hunting this year.  Sure a lone coyote can't run with a healthy deer but you can't tell me 4 or 5 of those things couldn't find a way to jump a deer that is bedded.  I've walked within 10 feet of a bedded deer before so no doubt the coyotes can get that close and make the kill.  Deer down south aren't as big and strong as the deer up north so the coyotes affect them more.  Just their presence is keeping the deer off the land, they're staying in areas where they have more cover and protection.  You can defend coyotes all you want but you're not going to change my opinion of them.  I will take a few out in hopes that I can convince the others to leave the area.  Just like the two or three deer I shoot a year, shooting two or three coyotes isn't going to decimate their population.  I look at it as predator population control not eradication. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:16 am

5 Dastardly, Deadly and Downright Dirty Tactics for Calling Winter Coyotes - Seems a big enough problem that Outdoor Life has a featured article on it!  If the link doesn't work you should be able to find it on www.outdoorlife.com

[font=helvetica]http://links.mkt747.com/ctt?kn=30&m=3818279&r=MzgyMzMyMzk2MAS2&b=0&j=MTA2Mjg4MjEyS0&mt=1&rt=0[/font]
[font=helvetica][/font] 
[font=helvetica][/font] 
[font=helvetica][/font] 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:20 am

So please don't try to discuss these miserable animals with me....it's not domestic dogs snatching kids out of our paddick....those around us know I shoot to kill

Msbadger.

Sorry. I thought this was a discussion forum. I never said it was dogs. I said often times this activity is dogs but I didn't say you had a dog problem. 

I never assumed or said you knew nothing about coyotes. I might have intimated many hunters know very little about coyotes. This unfortunately is true. You sound like you know everything you would like to know about coyotes. Terrific. Me I'm always learning. My bad. Blast away. It may be that's what you need to do, because once AGAIN, in my previous post I did mention that some coyotes do need to be taken out of the equation from time to time. And like I said before, if you tip over a dominant one you're not helping your problem.

But hey, I'm not trying to tell anybody what the heck to do, I'm just sharing information. I don't think about what might be popular information or not. Let's all shoot coyotes! Or not. Whatever. Again I thought that was the whole point of why we stare at these websites and type stuff.

I find it interesting that you mentioned something about your clothes smelling like goats or something. Might be a factor there. It would have to be some set of circumstances. There ususally is in any sort of nuisance problem. One thing for sure, if you got followed and surrounded on your way to a stand, you're sharing dirt with some of the most retarded brush dogs on the planet. Following an armed human to place that smells of armed humans. That can't be a career builder for the average coyote.
Perhaps they'll pass those genes along and solve your problem for you [;)]

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions