DVD's

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Massdeer

DVD's

Postby Massdeer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:00 am

I've been reading alot of forum topics on this site which include new hunters.  Alot of times i see that people are suggesting that new hunters watch DVD's to learn before going out there.  Any DVD's in particular that anyone recommends?

JPH

RE: DVD's

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:10 am

Other than D&DH TV (which is quite good), I would NOT suggest watching DVDs as a way to learn deer hunting. They can be fun to watch, and can offer you some insight into deer behavior and tactics but they are far from complete.

Learning to hunt by watching hunting DVDs is like learning to play football by watching NFL highlight reels.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

I am by far no expert, but I feel you need to put in your time and learn by doing. Making mistakes and learning from your experiences is probably a greatter learning tool for any hunter than watching a DVD.

Watching DVD's or the shows on hunting may give you tips, but to me does not give you the knowledge of being a good hunter.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:27 pm

I agree with JPH and Shadow, I'm not much of a DVD guy. The best way to gain knowledge is time spent in the woods and time spent listening to other hunters. You don't have to do or try to do everything that everyone else does but keep it all in the back of your mind and utilize that information when the time comes. I don't agree with everyone about certain things but Ill listen and keep an open mind.
You'll learn more in 2 hours of scouting than you will watching a DVD. When ever you see some sign just ask yourself why the deer did that in that location.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm going to have to agree with what everyone else here is saying that most of the DVD's on Hunting are good for entertainment purposes and many only show the end results of a Hunt that in reality probably took several days of hard hunting to actually harvest a Deer.Your better off reading some good hardback Books about hunting and going out scouting for yourself to learn whats it is really like!There are many good experienced and seasoned Hunters here at D & DH that have lots of valueable and hands-on experience I would trust more than any DVD on the market!  

coach

Postby coach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Well.....I usually agree with most of all your comments.  But this time....I slightly disagree to a certain point. 

I have almost 40 hunting dvds about deer hunting.  And yes you guys are right that its for entertainment only.  And yes your right about learning more in 2 hours of scouting then 2 hours of watching a hunting dvd.  But........

When I started watching hunting videos.....there was only Realtree Outdoors Monster Bucks. (VHS).
Oh my god....how things changed since.  In the early 90's it was all about show.  Seing someone harvest a whitetail.  Jackie Bushman and his Buckmasters...is now a joke to me.  So is Bill Jordan with his RealTree Outdoors.

But you guys should check out  Prime Time....and North American Whitetail.  They are very good and entertaining....but they also have lots of Tips...hunt the wind....decoy....scent control....hunting the weather.....funnels...and more.

You won't see monster whitetail everytime you go out like those videos.  But those dvds are alot more educational then they were 5-10 years ago.  Even the Drury Outdoor ( Dream Season), there hunting season on the dvd starts in April when they shed hunt, and goes on to .....for those who are interested...food plots...how to take care of them....preparation...practice shooting...ect.
They show when they harvest....when they miss...why they missed.

Anyways....you guys are right. You can't learn everything about deer by only watching dvds....but a mix of dvds...reading....and then practicing what you've learn, that is the best way.  And if you have any questions....this is what we...GTOHUNTER...GOOSE...JPH...ect....are here for.

I've been a member of Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine for 15 Years.  Personally....I've learned more about deer and  deer hunting... from those magazine then anything else.

So Massdeer....a combination of Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine...and walking the bush....is your way to go to learn about deer and deer behaviour.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:38 pm

IMO, the best way to learn is to DO IT. If you can tag along with another experienced hunter then that is the best way. Shy of that, I think that reading books is better than watching vids.

When you do go into the woods, question everything. Why is this bed here, and not there? Why does this deer trail go along this slope and not the other?  Why is this bush browsed and not the others? One question leads to another, and if you do it right you will NEVER run out of questions! When you question, then you LEARN. I've been in the woods for well over 40 years, and I still try to learn something new everytime I go out. It may be about animals, insects, plants, rocks, or even DIRT! It's all part of the whole.

I even learn from gutpiles. I always cut open the rumen (don't know what or where the rumen is? Get a book on deer anatomy and find out, because it's VERY important) on the deer I kill to examine the contents. I try to identify the tree or shrub species they've been browsing on, because the deer you just killed CANNOT LIE about where it just ate!

Get a good book on tree identification for starters, and learn how to identify all the main food trees that deer use, both in summer AND in winter. Your local DNR should be able to tell you what are the primary browse trees that deer in your area prefer.

Just simply being able to know the difference between Red oaks and White oaks can make the difference between a hunt being successful, and you not seeing a thing.

The more you know about the habitat that your quarry inhabits, the better the hunter you will be.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:51 pm

I agree with Woods Walker, but make sure if you go out with someone..., you go out with an experience hunter.
Most hunters will say they are good hunters and experience hunters. That's not always the case.
My father is 66 years old...in great shape...hunting for 50 years......thinks he knows everything about deer hunting. He's got lots of experience in harvesting deer and all....but he would be the last person I would scout with. He doesn't scout.  But shoots a buck every year. 

Read, watch, listen and do it.

But don't think you will learn all of it in one season. Its impossible. It takes time.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 pm

Hell, you won't even learn it all in a LIFETIME!

But coach, your father may not express too well his knowledge, but believe you me, if he shoots a buck every year, the man DOES know what he's doing! That's not just dumb luck.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 pm

lol......
Your right.....He's hunting from my stands. !!!   Ha Ha Ha.[:D]

But I get what your saying.

I guess I didn't express myself too well....
My dad smokes on stand.  So I usually try to find a spot for him....on top of a ridge....where
usually the wind is always dominant.....and he's looking down at a swamp or beaver pond.
He only gun hunts. That's why I said what I did.

Basically...all I wanted to say...is that the vids are more educational now...more then ever...because people got tired of watching other people shoot deer.  Now its more decoy hunting...wind...food plot.

But your right about....DO IT YOURSELF>
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Next

Return to General Discussions