DVD's

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: DVD's

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:13 pm

I see exactly where you are coming from Coach, and I agree. The quality has improved greatly over the years.

But I would still caution young hunters about placing too much stock in them, mainly b/c they may develop unrealistic ideas about what hunting really is. 

coach

Postby coach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:17 pm

ALL TRUE  MY FRIEND>>>>  ALL TRUE
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm

I appreciate all your advice, and i plan on being a sponge to any knowledge that i can obtain about deer hunting.  I will continue to read deer and deer hunting magazine and look in to some of the DVD's that coach mentioned.  I also plan to read as many books as possible even if i find one useful page out of the whole book, but more than anything i plan to get out and scout as soon as possible. 

Woods Walker,

Are  there any books that you suggest about anything having to do with deer hunting from trees to bedding?

I'm hear to learn, and i will continue to ask questions until i no longer get answers.

Thanks

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:37 am

I highly recommend Dan Schmidt's Whitetail Wisdom. Ive read almost every book on deer and deer hunting and this one was my favorite. Whitetail Wisdom is also a good one but may be an overload of information for a beginner, good reference book to be sure though.

One last thing on DVD's, Most of hunts take place on very well managed land with very low pressure. Not the best resemblance of our real world hunting IMO but there are things to learn from them of course.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:35 am

Massdeer everyone's advice here is excellent!  For me I started hunting deer 5 years ago with pretty much zero knowledge about the animal.  What worked for me was the Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine.  The cool thing about the magazine is if you subscribe you get every issue throughout the year with articles to coincide with what time of the deer season it is.  Also, if you subscribe with the right offer you'll get the previous Deer and Deer Hunting TV season on DVD and those are also very good resources.  As always this website is a wealth of information.  On the home page select the Forum link and check out all the posts there about deer hunting.  You can even find posts to discuss hunting with others in the state you live in.  Hopefully you already know this and are checking it out.  Good luck out there! 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:59 am

ORIGINAL: Massdeer

I appreciate all your advice, and i plan on being a sponge to any knowledge that i can obtain about deer hunting.  I will continue to read deer and deer hunting magazine and look in to some of the DVD's that coach mentioned.  I also plan to read as many books as possible even if i find one useful page out of the whole book, but more than anything i plan to get out and scout as soon as possible. 

Woods Walker,

Are  there any books that you suggest about anything having to do with deer hunting from trees to bedding?

I'm hear to learn, and i will continue to ask questions until i no longer get answers.

Thanks

Hoo boy....specific books? That's a tough one. When I started deer hunting, it was no where near the commercial industry that it is now. I have read many of the old classics....Dutch Wambold's "Bowhunting For Deer" for instance, but much of what I did learn was self taught.

My educational background included a lot of plant science and plant identification, so I suppose I have a leg up on many when it comes to that aspect of it, although there should many good plant identification books that are written for the so-called "non-professional" that would help you a lot in that regard. Just make sure that any plant books that you do get are for the area in which you live.

Try googling......native plants of (your state) or region....Great Lakes, upper midwest, northeast, coastal region, etc.

Your state DNR should also be a good source of literature on this (unless you live in Illinois, where they barely have enough staff left to answer the phone...thank you, Governor Blagojevich).

D&DH is the best periodical for obtaining this type of information also. Also look for books written by many of the authors of the articlles that you do see in D&DH.......Alsheimer, Rue, Geist, and if you go way back, Rob Wegner, but to name a few.

I will offer you one little bit of information here to begin your quest of what the deer eat in your area.......

Q. Do you know how to tell if the plant you are looking at was browsed in fact by a deer, or a rabbit?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 am

If you're looking for a good read, try: Whitetail Advantage.  There are reviews about it over in the Books/DVD/Magazine forum.  Provides a great breadth of information.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:53 am

Goose,

I read a summary on Whitetail Wisdom and it looks like your right, i will also be purchasing that book today.

Woods Walker,

I don't think that i would be able to tell the differents between deer and rabbit browsing but i'm hoping that after you reply to this post that i will know the answer or have somewhere to find it.  My region is the Northeast region.  I plan to hunt in Mass, NH, and Maine.

Thanks!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:12 am

ORIGINAL: Massdeer

Goose,

I read a summary on Whitetail Wisdom and it looks like your right, i will also be purchasing that book today.

Woods Walker,

I don't think that i would be able to tell the differents between deer and rabbit browsing but i'm hoping that after you reply to this post that i will know the answer or have somewhere to find it.  My region is the Northeast region.  I plan to hunt in Mass, NH, and Maine.

Thanks!

Mass: I posed that in the form of a question to illustrate my point. Now here's the answer:

Deer, being ruminants, are like cattle, in that they only have front cutting teeth of the BOTTOM jaw. The top is all gums.

Rabbits, and other lagomorphs, have front cutting teeth on BOTH the top and bottom jaws.

Therefore, when deer browses soft vegetation, it tends to tear the bud or leaf from the plant, whereas rabbits, with the top and bottom cutting teeth, tend to shear it off clean, similar to a garden pruners.

Look at the branch, leaf, or grass edge to see how clean the separation point is. Then you know if it's deer, or rabbits that are feeding in that location.

Once you know this, then the next set of questions are: WHAT is this particular plant? WHY are they eating this particular plant? WHEN are they eating it....all the time, or just at certain times of the year? WHERE ELSE can this particular plant be found?

Obviously, you will never answer all the questions, but the more of them that you do seek the answers to will increase your knowledge and you ability to successfully hunt these, and other, animals in ANY location. Knowledge is power.......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:24 am

I couldnt agree more that knowledge is power and that is why i am asking all these questions and will continue to pose questions to myself and others.  Thank you for your help.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions