Going Pro?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Going Pro?

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:21 am

If you could leave your current job/school and make a secure and comfortable living in the "deer hunting industry", would you do it? If so, in what way wold you choose?

schlupis

RE: Going Pro?

Postby schlupis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 am

I voted yes as a on camera hunter. I think it would be great to make money while doing somthing I enjoy doing. Not that I dont enjoy what I do now, Just think I would enjoy hunting a little more. I think once in that industry you could branch out into some of the other things you mentioned. like the seminar speaker it would be nice to share with others the new things you would be learning from more days afield.

If I had a show it would definatley be more about the animals and less about the acting some of todays pro hunters do.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:30 am

I voted with my initial gut and said "I would not do it".

My reason is:  hunting for me is my escape.  I use hunting as something I can look forward to doing.  Similar to a vacation.  It's a way to unwind.  You understand.  If I had to make a living hunting, it would turn into a job very very quickly and I would not enjoy it nearly as much.  It would become far too routine.....especially the travel. 

The old saying applies......the grass is greener on the other side.

Having said that....I think I could enjoy running a pro shop.  The problem is that a successful one would have to remain open ALL the time during the actual hunting season.  People need ammo, arrows, broadheads, and so forth.  So, I believe my own hunting time would be diminished.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 am

I voted "Writer/author". I'll explain my choice later but I do not want to infulence anyone elses choice right now.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:55 am

ORIGINAL: vipertech

I voted with my initial gut and said "I would not do it".

My reason is:  hunting for me is my escape.  I use hunting as something I can look forward to doing.  Similar to a vacation.  It's a way to unwind.  You understand.  If I had to make a living hunting, it would turn into a job very very quickly and I would not enjoy it nearly as much.  It would become far too routine.....especially the travel. 

The old saying applies......the grass is greener on the other side.

Having said that....I think I could enjoy running a pro shop.  The problem is that a successful one would have to remain open ALL the time during the actual hunting season.  People need ammo, arrows, broadheads, and so forth.  So, I believe my own hunting time would be diminished.

I could not have stated any better.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 am

I would luv to travel and meet hunters from all over, having your hunt on film, taking an animal,missing an animal, and all the other experiences(minus all the acting you see in alot of shows) would be awesome !!! Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:30 am

I voted for being a writer also.

I have guided when I was in college, and I also used to work for the old Soil Conservation Service as a land manager, although not specifically for deer.

Guiding was OK, as long as the people you guided were people you liked, but not all that many of them were. Money can bring out the worst traits in people!

Resource management was good also, except for the politics and bureaucracy that always goes with it when you work in a public agency.

The ideal way is to become independently wealthy, buy several counties of land in the area of your choice, and then develop and manage it for wildlife use for yourself and your chosen friends and guests!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:37 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

The ideal way is to become independently wealthy, buy several counties of land in the area of your choice, and then develop and manage it for wildlife use for yourself and your chosen friends and guests!!

That was going to be my pick too, but it I ran out of room in the poll. [;)]

The whole premis is actually faulty. CA wrote an article a few years ago about how hard it is to actually make a living at this. most guys have to shoot video, write, speak and whore themselves for various products just to break even. But it's fun to pretend.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:39 am

I chose hunter. Why? I live to bow hunt and would be lost doing anything else. Being a hunter you could also do some of the other things as well. I would try to do multiple things such as manage your own land, hunt your own land, and then with that experience maybe write about it a little bit. Something similar to the Drury's. Lakoski's, and Kiske's. It would require less travel and more knowledge.
Id be up for the challenge!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:48 am

I could of picked 5 of the answers lol, but i picked land manager/game keeper, nature is too precious to loose and i tend to try to do what i can to preserve it, and i have a strong passion for whitetail so there would be nothing better to me than preserving and making a whitetail herd more healthy and improving whatever else i can on a cerrtain property while doing so.

Next

Return to General Discussions