Going Pro?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: Going Pro?

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:01 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I chose hunter. Why? I live to bow hunt and would be lost doing anything else. Being a hunter you could also do some of the other things as well. I would try to do multiple things such as manage your own land, hunt your own land, and then with that experience maybe write about it a little bit. Something similar to the Drury's. Lakoski's, and Kiske's. It would require less travel and more knowledge.
Id be up for the challenge!

What you have to realize, is that it's NOT what the above mentioned TV hunters know about deer hunting that makes them successful......it's their abilty to MARKET themselves that does!

I learned a long time ago that the majority of those guys don't know all any more about deer hunting that many of us here(and maybe less)....it's just that they've been able to market it to a media audience. Odds are that they would be just as successful promoting Mighty Putty or any of the other gadgets that are sold carnival sideshow style on TV. Put Billy Mays in camo, have him shill for a new kind of deer call (with Scent-Loc for an extra $40....but only if you CALL NOW!!!), and many will buy it.

Jackie Bushman (for one) is a prime example of that.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 am

I choose the land management side of it.  My dream is to someday own a piece of land that is big enough to manage.  I just think it is so gratifying to put a QDM stratagy in place and actually see the results of many years of hard work.  I don't know that I would want to be on camera while hunting.  To me that is MY time and when successful I get to enjoy those moments with myself and closest friends.  It is a special time, I don't want to get down out of my stand and start pimping every piece of equipment I own.  I CAN DO THAT AT MY CURRENT JOB!   Give me some land to develop that not only myself but others can enjoy, and get paid on top of it???  SWEET!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 am

I'm not going to get into this argument but the above mentioned hunters do have my respect.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:51 am

I put seminar speaker, but would love the hunter part too.

My write in vote would be to run and set up archery clinics across the country to teach / instruct young folks about archery and hunting.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:20 am

Im a guide for about 6 months out of the year and absolutely love it. Alot of hard work but love the job and being in the field.

So thats my vote!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

deerhuntohio

Postby deerhuntohio » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am

i picked camera operator because i would still be in the woods doing what i love to do and eventually i will be on the other side of the camera but when im not video taping someone else i would be hunting 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I'm not going to get into this argument but the above mentioned hunters do have my respect.

That's fine, and I don't dispute that. My point is that they could be the greatest deer hunters in the world, but if they don't know how to market and promote it, then they will get nowhere in the media. Just being a knowledgable hunters isn't enough....not nrear enough.

On the other hand, a person can have just a basic knowledge of deer hunting but if they know how to sell/market themselves they will most likely succeed. It's the same for goods, also. If you want to sell widgets, you'd best have a budget that is 20% for product development, and 80% for marketing/advertising.

$ales trump EVERYTHING.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 am

I am tempted by the thought of starring as an on camera hunter. Like Goose, there are some who have earned my respect and I know I can do it with a lot more class than some of the others. It looks like a lot of fun, but I know one video hunter and have some insight into the operations of a well known video crew. From what I understand, there is tremendous pressure to get good footage and the filming is actually very hard work. They spend dawn to dark in the stand almost every day just to get that 3 min. of film.

I would prefer to be a writer/author because that would allow me the freedom to hunt at my own pace. I could "work" by the fire in the evening. Plus, an empty day in the stand in terms of footage can be an entertaining story in the hands of a good writer. I just wish I was one. [:D]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:30 am

I voted to be in the stand, and one of my goals for the next year is to produce an amateur video hunt.  My brother does videography for aliving and has offered to help.  If nothing else it would be fun and i can submit it to the Outdoor Channel and see if I get any bites.  i do believe what Woodswalker says...you do need a hitch or special slant...maybe being from Jersey i can specialize in Surviving Suburban Hunts, lol!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

I voted to be in the stand, and one of my goals for the next year is to produce an amateur video hunt.  My brother does videography for aliving and has offered to help.  If nothing else it would be fun and i can submit it to the Outdoor Channel and see if I get any bites.  i do believe what Woodswalker says...you do need a hitch or special slant...maybe being from Jersey i can specialize in Surviving Suburban Hunts, lol!

You mean like this??  [:D]

[font=verdana][size=100]SUBURBAN DEER HUNTING TIPS:
[/font]

**********************************************************************************************************************************
"OK, I've decided to spill my guts. I'm sure many of you will be skeptical but I know this stuff works.

Ive been culling for a local police dept for the last few years, on VERY small woodlots in developed (to say the least) suburban areas in NJ.

Consider: I live on 70,000 acres of federal land on the Delaware river where I've killed a pile of deer, and I'm driving 1 1/2 hrs through rush hour traffic to hunt deer in the suburbs.

I can watch TV through peoples' windows. Sometimes I even bring my own remote so I can change channels.

Old women have approached me and asked if I would shoot the deer eating their roses. I think the 50 or so deer I've killed in the last couple years is evidence enough to support my tips. Don't get all indignant. The cops threatened to get in white RINO if we archers didn't kill enough, so we can hunt 'em like rabbits with a clear conscience. Ok here goes:

1. Stalk as the corporate jets are taking off. They'll never hear you. Traffic noise, sirens, church bells and loudspeakers from car dealers also work.

2. Carry a leaf blower and the deer will think you're a Mexican and ignore you.

3. Try a ghillie suit. I killed one from the ground at about 30 inches! My arrow barely cleared the shelf. I got splattered. They really don't get it.

4. When blood trailing, listen for the sound of hooves on the pavement. It's audible for a long way. Don't forget to check the sides of parked vehicles for blood.

5. Gasoline makes a great cover scent.

6. Where multiple deer are legal, always shoot the lead doe first. The rest of them are helpless.

7. Never accept money from people who want you to hunt in their yards(lunch is OK). Word will spread and you'll have more places to hunt and more free lunches.
[/size]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions