Going Pro?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

RE: Going Pro?

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:13 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I would prefer to be a writer/author because that would allow me the freedom to hunt at my own pace. I could "work" by the fire in the evening. Plus, an empty day in the stand in terms of footage can be an entertaining story in the hands of a good writer.

I`m with you Joe. I`d love to be a writer, especially the caliber of some of the greats in D&DH, then I`d pick my hunts and not my producer.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I would not do it. But if someone would pay me enough to test hunting gear, clothing, guns, ect....and just give a fair evaluation without having to film or write articles about it, I would be temped.

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:23 pm

Although it would be very tempting to be a pro hunter, I voted that I would not do it. Unless your spouse is 100% in favor of it, I think it would put too much strain on your marriage being on the road trying to keep your sponsers happy. Unless my wife & kids could travel with me a lot, It wouldn't be worth it to me.

By the way Woods Walker, loved your suburban post.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:44 pm

I chose hunter.  But this would be crossed with being a land manager.  I love hunting and it's in my blood, but managing property is as well, and they go hand in hand I guess.  I really look up to the Drury's and Lakosky's ('Dream Season' among others, and 'Gettin' Close).  Granted they have hundreds of acres to hunt, they do it themselves.  They're just like us...And they teach along the way in each and every DVD that they make.  That's who I would want to be!!!  [:D]

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 am

I'd like to stalk through woodswalkers imagination.  That sounds like the happy hunting grounds I'm after. LOL[:D]

Definately a writer!  Gives you time to hunt and time to reflect and most importantly there's time for your family!!!  Would it not blow your mind to see your article in D@DH!
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:39 am

I did not write suburban post. I saw that on another hunting forum, but I don't know the name of the individual who did pen it, otherwise I would have cited him/her.

One thing's for sure.....whomever it is DOES know what it's like to hunt in the suburbs! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 am

ORIGINAL: Jawbone

Would it not blow your mind to see your article in D@DH!

It truly did, it was a neat feeling to see it in print..........................

I`m likely just a one-hit-wonder though.

[:(]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:27 am

Tough choice between land manager and writer.  I think maybe a land manager who writes about it would work for me.  But if I had to choose - land manager.  I think it would be the best way to give back to something I love to do.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:36 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

I voted to be in the stand, and one of my goals for the next year is to produce an amateur video hunt.  My brother does videography for aliving and has offered to help.  If nothing else it would be fun and i can submit it to the Outdoor Channel and see if I get any bites.  i do believe what Woodswalker says...you do need a hitch or special slant...maybe being from Jersey i can specialize in Surviving Suburban Hunts, lol!

You mean like this??  [:D]

[font=verdana][size=100]SUBURBAN DEER HUNTING TIPS:
[/font]

**********************************************************************************************************************************
"OK, I've decided to spill my guts. I'm sure many of you will be skeptical but I know this stuff works.

Ive been culling for a local police dept for the last few years, on VERY small woodlots in developed (to say the least) suburban areas in NJ.

Consider: I live on 70,000 acres of federal land on the Delaware river where I've killed a pile of deer, and I'm driving 1 1/2 hrs through rush hour traffic to hunt deer in the suburbs.

I can watch TV through peoples' windows. Sometimes I even bring my own remote so I can change channels.

Old women have approached me and asked if I would shoot the deer eating their roses. I think the 50 or so deer I've killed in the last couple years is evidence enough to support my tips. Don't get all indignant. The cops threatened to get in white RINO if we archers didn't kill enough, so we can hunt 'em like rabbits with a clear conscience. Ok here goes:

1. Stalk as the corporate jets are taking off. They'll never hear you. Traffic noise, sirens, church bells and loudspeakers from car dealers also work.

2. Carry a leaf blower and the deer will think you're a Mexican and ignore you.

3. Try a ghillie suit. I killed one from the ground at about 30 inches! My arrow barely cleared the shelf. I got splattered. They really don't get it.

4. When blood trailing, listen for the sound of hooves on the pavement. It's audible for a long way. Don't forget to check the sides of parked vehicles for blood.

5. Gasoline makes a great cover scent.

6. Where multiple deer are legal, always shoot the lead doe first. The rest of them are helpless.

7. Never accept money from people who want you to hunt in their yards(lunch is OK). Word will spread and you'll have more places to hunt and more free lunches.
[/size]

LOL..yeah i recall that post...no I was actually being serious...while there is plenty of public land and farm land in NJ, the fact remains your taking your chances with the orange army on public land and the farmers have gotten smart...they lease their land and the ones who don't want to know what your going to do for them, or they just don't want you hunting their land.  I'm referring more to the often overlooked honey spots..small parcels of woods owned by the the local towns or neighbors with HUGE parcels and a BIG deer problem..I've stumbled across a few of those, one which I'm working on getting permission to hunt right now.  Naturally this has to be on the up and up and 100% legal..I'm not talking about trespassing or breaking laws.  I do think however this is more typical of states with limited public land access or densely populated areas only conducive to bowhunting.  I think its a different spin on hunting, especially in suburbia...I'll call my show "Suburban Safari ";)

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:59 am

i wish that i could b a guide

bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions