as the season ends

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: as the season ends

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 am

ORIGINAL: trophyhunter1980

I start getting the race car ready for next season!

Do you visit Knoxville Ia?

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:00 am

Ice fishing, fishing, raising three teenagers, and catching up on the "Honey Do's" I have been putting off while deer season was going on, and planning for next year.

Work.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:04 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: trophyhunter1980

I start getting the race car ready for next season!

Do you visit Knoxville Ia?

I have never been there, but I do catch it on TV.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:11 am

The last days of deer hunting season happen sometime before Jan 7 for me.  Some years, I stay ready to hunt until New Years'.  Some years I've gone all the way to the late January close of bow season in Ohio. This year, I was off work, so I had plenty of time to get things done early.  The freezers were full again by Thanksgiving.

1)  The stands need to be stripped of everything down to the paint-- all the blinds pulled in, etc.

2)  Deer camp needs to be shuttered. The water needs to be turned off, and antifreeze placed in the traps. Anything of value needs to be removed.  Finally, rodentcide is placed in all the right places.

3)  The rifles need a thorough cleaning. This takes two weeks.  I clean once with Ed's Red, wait a fortnight and then clean again. They then get carted over to my Dad's house for off-season storage.  At this time, the turkey shotguns come back home, but they usually stay in their cases all winter.

There is a period of a few weeks where I concentrate on my pistols, maybe hit a few gun shows. I usually watch the NFL playoffs. I usually devote at least one weekend to some thoroughly involving computer game.  Late Winter is when I start reloading for the next deer season.

. . . and then the bug hits. An alarm clock goes off in my head and I'm starting to gear up for Spring Gobbler.  By the time I open camp back up in late February to early March, I can't wait to get out and start scouting, sizing up the flocks, and looking for a new place to place a blind.  I've also got all the material for the spring projects. I finished rehabbing camp in late September 2005.  In Early October 2005, I started repairing.  There's always something falling apart.  This past year, my mother-in-law was doing her slow fade to black so there is a huge backlog of projects for this coming year. 

We stay away from camp for no less than 6 weeks in the Winter, and sometimes the weather keeps us away for as long as 12. Turkey Camp lasts from that first visit in late winter until mid-May.  I'm usually hunting until the last Sunday.  We have 2 weeks after that to finishing the spring projects and put away the turkey gear and then we reopen camp for camping.  This is also when we start shooting the deer rifles, and fine-tuning the any new loads for the next Fall.

Our last trip to camp is usually the second weekend in July, and then we stay away, because of the heat.  I pull out the boat, and run it up and down the Ohio for a few trips, and when August 8 hits, we're usually back down at camp with a bunch of friends hanging out at the campground-- sometimes as many as 30-40.  Somewhere in there I try to have a Class-3 shoot.  Somewhere in there I try to fit in a canoe trip or two.  All the treestands get decorated with their camo blind and coat of paint as needed.

After Labor Day, we usually close the campground, but continue camping up close to the house; we want to give the woods a rest. Some of our most productive deer property surrounds the campground. On the third weekend in September, we start squirrel hunting. 

On the second weekend in October, Yute season opens up, the first firearms season for deer.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

VA Hunter

Postby VA Hunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 am

Our late deer season ends 3/28 here.  I will hunt to fill the freezer and donate plenty.  Then the largemouth action gets great here till next archery season.  It's a year round outdoorsman paradise around here.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:41 am

I live in NW Florida and the hunt in SW Alabama.  The season there ends Jan. 31.  During the offseason we spend a lot of time at the camp working and making improvements to help us for the next season.  A hunting camp is work in progress!  

When we're not at the camp you have to remember I live in Florida!  Some time in late February I pull the boat out of storage and get ready for the boating season which kicks off in March.  If I'm not out in the Gulf of Mexico bottom fishing you'll find my boat anchored at Crab Island in Destin enjoying the scenic views of summertime in Florida!  Pic shows typical day at Crab Island!  Life is rough!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 am

Viking, is that your broze chest glistening in the foreground?

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:52 am

The season ends in early Jan. for me but deer hunting goes on 24/7 365 for me. We'll be pulling sets and plotting new ones out. Shed hunting then putting sets up again and starting the food plots. Will also do some hinge cutting and clearing.
Besides that Ill be cutting wood for next winter (haven't used my furnace yet and its below zero here Image)
Trout fishing when that opens, walleye fishing when the waters open up, turkey hunting in the spring, camping during the summer, and hopefully a bunch of O.T. at work.
All of this will be done with friends and family.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:20 am

I plan to spend the rest of the winter doing post season scouting and mapping out, clearing stand locations for next year, plant a small food plot on the Vt property in the spring, get geared up for Spring Turkey and the fishing season.  summer will probably be spent getting a start on the cabin for the new property in vermont, and then getting geared up again (shooting, final scouting) towards the end of the summer for the fall deer season.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Viking, is that your broze chest glistening in the foreground?

LOL!  No way, I'm taking the picture from my boat!  I do my best to stay out of the pictures (evidence)!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions