Drives

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

Drives

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 am

Alright guys, just wanted to bring this topic up since the same thing tends to happen every year to me.

How do you all feel about putting on drives? (Mainly on state land)

I personally would have no problem with them if they were done with more responsibility and less selfishness... I am talking about public land drives since thats where i normally hunt for gun season. On opening day after lunch i had, no joke, 8-10 people come walking through the little section of woods i was in, and another 6-8 went through my dads part of the woods, ON OPENING DAY. It's one thing to put on a drive during the end of the year when your tags aren't filled, i get that, i have done that before, BUT i will never put on a drive if i think another hunter is in that certain section of the woods, to me its one of the most selfish and ignorant things a hunter can do to a fellow hunter esp if they know someone else is in the woods at that time.

I just think of what it would be like t be the guy who set up a spot/blind in the woods and waiting for some deer to come by, (esp. in this cold weather) and to have some guys come busting through not caring who else happens to be there patiently waiting, it sucks and i know im not the only one who has had numerous hunts ruined because of this.

I know its state land, thats part of the risk of hunting on it, i undertand that, but on opening day? Let's get real, people need to be more considerate and take into consideration not only of spoiling another hunters hunt, but of the safety hazard it could pose!

I myself always hang some kind of orange on a tree or something while im on state land hoping other hunters will see it and understand where i'm at and to know where im at if they encounter a deer. I also do it hoping people doing drives might back off if they know another hunter is sitting and waiting, apparently that doesnt seem to work very well...

I just had to get this off my chest, and if you guys do drives on state land just please try to look out for other hunters, it just sucks to be on the wrong end of a drive when it could of been prevented.

gunther89

RE: Drives

Postby gunther89 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:48 am

If they are doing deer drives then deer should be running past you and you might be able to get a shot off if they stop.  My hunting group does deer drives on opening day.  The only difference is that we are on private land but it seems to be the only way to get the deer up and moving.  After the first couple of hours of what sounds like war the deer that are left get smart and hunker down.  The only way to get up out is by doing drives.  Drives can work great if they are done right and have enough guys to do it.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:57 am

No, i never get deer to come by me when they do it unfortunately, if that happened hey ill be all for it if im getting the shot [:D] but that never happens for me. If your doing em on private land i dont see any problem with that since you guys are prob the only ones on it. With my experience on opening day up where im at i see deer in the morning and afternoon, but i see tons of deer at the times of 415-525 they dont seem to hunker down so quickly, and i know not everyone on practices the same scent free tactics or tries to pay attention to wind as i do, and im not perfect at it but i do try to keep that in mind, when people keep coming through like that they are leaving scent and blowing scent in direction that it should not be going, its just frustrating when that kind of stuff happens.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 am

No drives are necessary in NY for at least the first several days due to high hunter traffic especially on state land.  Mid week during mid-day my son and I will put on little pushes to each other but traditional drives are for the end of the season and during the late muzzleloader season.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 am

Opening day of shotgun in new york
the guys who sit are counting on guys moving around and pushing deer
if you are in the right spot at the right time they could push all those deer to u

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:42 am

I never have had a problem seeing deer during opening week of firearm season here, i honestly see less when people push, that's all im saying, if it works for you guys that's great, but it has ruined more hunts than i care to count, i just had to get it off my chest after this year

Return to General Discussions