Hunting Season Review

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

RE: Hunting Season Review

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks Goose! That means a lot. Yeah he's a pretty easy going guy and it was his idea to let us use the tractor we didn't mention anything just that we were wanting to put some plots in and do a little re-arranging of some trees ;) and he was all for it, yeah im hoping to stay in the area and try to make this land a great spot for deer hunting and just a great overall healthy deer herd for us to hunt.

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:43 am

I may have been a little to conservative this year.
More scouting would be good.
Perhaps trying to talk the land owners into some food plots would help also. 
Of course always keep looking for another spot to hunt.
Practice shooting more after the opening of bow season.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:57 am

As for land improvements, we're gonna put in some smaller plots to hunt over and hopefully get some turnips to come in on our bigger field. We'll also be planting some pines for cover and hinge cutting some pine to make more bedding area. Ill be doing alot of walking this winter to figure out what I couldn't this fall. I love to walk around and put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 am

Well, where to begin? I hunt 250 acres of very good deer and duck country. A good deal of marsh, some very thick stands of maple, oak, ash, cherry ( but all new growth). Surrounded by farmland.
Could not go bowhunting at all due to job duties but next year will be different.
Gun season taught me , or reminded me, to do the following:
1. Have a good pair of sunglasses ready when the sun is out. The snow glare made it impossible for me to see in the south direction. Not preparing for glare led to a missed shot.
2. Hunt the cover stupid! I saw 12 doe and a 4 pt buck opening day but I was not near the thick stuff. The bucks are in the marsh dummy! How much more evidence do you need!!!!
3. Second day, saw 3 doe.
4. Third day, saw one buck (the one I missed)
5. Last Friday, scored on a 7 point.

Stay persistent, hunt the cover, minimize movement and play the wind. Seriously, after 25 years of this hobby you'd think I'd get it right!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:20 am

None of us will always get it right, hopefully we can all learn from each other though. Congrats on the buck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 am

Wow, where to begin???

- Start scouting right after the season is over and do a throrough post mortum on the areas I did hunt
- Establish stand locations for next year based on the post mortum and clear lanes start rakig out some trails
- Buy another Trail cam and make extensive use of these in the off season to validate stand locations
- Practice, practice , practice...both in and out of the stand
- get better at still hunting and employ it as part of my hunting tactics toolbox
- look at new potential hunting areas
- establish food plot and scout possible stand locations on Vermont property
- Aquire better scent elimination/blocker clothing
- Aquire a ML so i can take advantage of the ML season
- Show more patience and restraint....do not overhunt a stand or area

I'm sure there is more that will come to mind but thats a pretty good list for now

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Kinda going off of JPH's fitness review but more of a hunting year in review. What did you like and not like. What did you do that worked and what did you do that didn't work?

First off, this was a bum year for the acorns.  As a result, our normal patterns were all knocked askew. I think this was the reason we never saw the really big ones.

On the plus side, I have never seen such a distinctive demarcation between the various phases of the rut.  One day, I had bucks running around with their noses to the ground. The next day, they were all poking their antlers into doe's rumps and chasing them back and forth.

Another big plus:  I've never seen a day where all the gimmicks worked like Monday of the first week.  I brought out everything I had with me, and I had bucks coming in, left and right-- grunts, rattles, estrus bleats. 

We added 2 new stands to the farm, and both paid off with two deer a piece-- can't beat that! On the other hand, we had two big producers that went dry this season.

Bummers:

My 1.5X4.5 Bushnell Banner site is not up to picking up on the nubs of a button buck at 150 yards in failing light. I would have bet money that was a doe. I'm going to put a new 3-9X variable on it before next season.

Ooops!  Gotta run.  More later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Pre-Season eqipment addtions:
1. New Bow: PSE Brute. (Love this bow).
2. Trail Camera: Primarily used in August and early September. Proved to me how much buck pattterns change once October rolls around. None of the bruisers I got on cam showed. Need to rethink how and when to use.
3. Nikkon range finder: Absolutley invaluable to making the three bow kills this year.
4. HS drip bottle.

Best Moments:
1. Another year hunting with my teenage son.
2. My first passthrough on a deer in November on my largest doe to date.
3. My first urban archery deer in September.
4. My second passthrough on a deer and my first December deer.
5. Watching my son miss the biggest buck I have seen in the area I hunt. Even though a miss it showed us both the bruisers were still there.

Mistakes:
1. Still rushing the shot due to the seeing of antlers. Good ole buck fever cost me on two missed opps on bucks. Now I am two years running without mounting a set of antlers. (Not that this is the most important thing, but I'll admit it is getting a little frustrating).
2. Not taking a break from the bow to hunt with my muzzleloader. Need to break up my tags next year so I will not burn out in December.
3. Over analyzing my hunting and making too complicated with scents, elobarate call schems, etc... Next year I will use little if any scents of any kind and keep the calling very simple and sparse. Saw plenty just keeping still and playing the wind.
4. Did not do enough in June and July to prep sites. I may even start as early as May leaving plenty of time to erase my intrusion from the deers mind.

Planned equipment aquisitions:
1. Maybe a ladder stand or two.
2. Oder eating stuff. Arm and Hammer baking soda, maybe some scent killer spray, foot odor eaters for warm weather hutning.
3. Meat grinder and other processing stuff.
4. Replace whisker biscuit with octane.

Planned Knowledge/Experience Acquisitions:
1. Learn to process my own deer. Getting deer chopped up is really getting expensive.
2. Keep practicing. Shot between 3-6 shots 5-7 days a week from various angles and heights.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:21 am

One of the in-laws showed up last night.  I'm back.

For the first time in probably 20 years, I left all scents out of my kit. That's not to say I've used scents all that much the past few years. I usually play with them a day or two during season-- or at least plan to. This time, I went really scent free.  There was about a 3 day period in all this, at the beginning of rifle season (started on 11/8) where the bucks had their noses to the ground in a big way.  I'm sure that if I had been using estrus scent, it would have drawn some of them in. However, EVERYTHING was drawing them in.   I tried rattles and calls-- everything brought a response.

I'm back to carrying binos this year.  It's been an on-and-off thing with me.  I stopped carrying them about 7 years ago, because the cover is so dense that I was having trouble getting on deer before it was too late to make a shot. This year, because of poor acorns, the deer were out in the fields. I have 15X70's that mount on a tripod for scouting.  They're great for glassing racks on the neighbors' ridges, but they're monsters.  You don't want that around your neck for hours at a time.  I brought a set of throw-away 8X30's that I keep on the boat.  They were perfect for watching the 200 yard long food plots I was covering. The only problem was  that they were hi-viz yellow.  The deer did not seem to mind.  I wish I'd had them when that button buck showed up.

This is going to sound stupid.  Everyone uses a rope to hoist their gear up.  Most normal people just tie a rope on their stand and then tie their stuff to it before hoisting it up.  I didn't.  It was all those years I had a climbing stand.  Instead of an extra rope hanging off, I always carried a length of cord with a snag hook attached.  After getting up in my stand, I would lower the hook and snag my gear. Things like bows and backpacks were easy.  For rifles, I carried an additional gear hoist. Over the years, I got really good at it.  In fact, I had been known to snag a fallen glove or a hat off the ground.  No more.  Last year, I realized my eyes had given out. I can no longer see the hook in the light of a flashlight. My last successful attempt was shear luck.  This year, every stand got equipped with a 25' cord with a carabiner on the end.  Middle age sucks. The snag hook is still in my pack.  I don't know why. I guess I can't let go.

If anyone is interested, you just need a large snag hook (a treble fishing hook with a lead weight) with the barbs ground off.  Attach this to 25' of camp cord. Viola!  A bow is a no brainer; lay it with the strings up and  aim for the cables.  Packs and bags only need the carrying straps placed so that they are easy to snag.  Some pieces of equipment may require an additional loop of rope attached  so the hook has something to snag onto. It worked for me for 25 years.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Previous

Return to General Discussions