Deer Observation Quiz

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Deer Observation Quiz

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Many of you more experienced hunters will (should) know the answers to these questions, but maybe some of the younger/less experienced may learn a thing or two. If you know these answers, hold off answering them for a while, so that those you are trying to learn, can. If you think of any other similar scenarios, please feel free to add them.

1. It's summer or early fall. You see a large doe, with two fawns-of-the-year. With them, is another adult doe, although smaller than the large one. She is accompanied by a single fawn-of-the-year.What are you seeing?

2. It's now early November. You suddenly see only a pair of fawns without the adult doe that's been with them all summer. She is NOT dead.What is happening?

3. It's mid-spring. You are seeing more solo, young, apparently male deer wandering around by themselves.What are you seeing?

4. It's mid/late spring. You see the same single doe, in approximately the same area at least once a day, sometimes more.What are you seeing?

5. It's mid-November. You see a single adult doe. She is on the move, but not in a big hurry. She frequently flicks her tail, and periodically looks back where she came from.What's happening?

6. It's mid-November. You are hunting farmland that has strips of harvested fields, interspersed with wooded areas and other cover. A young (first rack) buck comes out into the field, and though looking into the cover, and moving back and forth along the edge of the cover, WON'T go into the cover. He eventually wanders off in the other direction.What is happening?

7. It's mid-November. You are hunting the same type of farm as above. A large mature buck comes into the field, into the wind, and runs/trots along the edge of the strips of heavy cover, but does not go into the covers, until he hits the last one, which he does go right into without hesitation.What's he doing?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

AfterShock95

RE: Deer Observation Quiz

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:59 pm

I think the answer to 1 is that its the larger Doe fawn from the year before.
2 She is being bred by a buck and he has chased the other two fawns off
3 They are searching for a bachler group and returning to there home range
4 She has a fawn close by
5 She is ready to bred and the tail flicking is helping to leaving a sent behind
6 maybe a bigger buck is in there and he doesn't want to get his but kicked
7 Checking for does
Well those are my guess lets see what everyone else come up with

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks for the response. Let's see if any others want to answer.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:06 pm

My answers exactly Aftershock. I guess we've learned something. Sure hope we're right!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm

That's how I would answer. My answer for #3 is a little different.  I would say the does have run off the yearling bucks.  I think it's called dispersing.  The young bucks are looking to establish a home range.

Thanks for the post.

Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:39 pm

Pretty much mine are all the same, except #5.  That one is my poor shot placement with my bow, and I got a liver shot that came out the paunch.  So she's mortally wounded, however, still trying to get away from me after I get out of the treestand too soon.  So she is looking back at a clumsy hunter making lots of noise trailing the fading blood trail.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:34 pm

I agree with Aftershock except for #3 I agree with flatheadnut. what are your answers woods walker?

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:36 pm

You folks are good! Most all of you had the correct answers.

#3. Is what's known as  the yearling buck dispersal. It's nature's way of preventing inbreeding. It's the time of the year when mama-doe runs junior off. He will seek out other bucks, and the so-called "bachelor groups" of bucks you see in summer and early fall are a result of this.

#5. Is indeed a "hot", or estrous doe. If you see a doe like this, and she is within range, let her go, and STAY PUT, as there is a very good chance that a buck will eventually come along. If she's out of range, move as quietly as you can to get within range of where she passed, while being ever mindful of the wind. A situation like this is another reason why I like to stillhunt on the ground, as I am very mobile, and can position myself with a minimum of noise and movement.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Return to General Discussions