15' Ladder STands

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
8uck5nort

RE: 15' Ladder STands

Postby 8uck5nort » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Heights can make some people skittish and lose focus. Shoot from the height you are comfortable and feel safe. 12, 15, 16, 20 ,25 ft. doesn't matter.

I found 16 to 17 ft in my climber is my sweet spot. Don't feel too high and unsafe and not too low that I think I miight give myself away.

Playing the wind is more important IMO.

Just my two cents.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:08 pm

I've killed plenty sitting on the ground
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:37 pm

I think if the ladder stand was put up far enough in advance so the deer have a chance to get used to it, height is not the biggest factor. Wind direction and how still you can sit become more critical.

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:30 pm

fifteen foot ladder stands seem to work fine for me i guess it all depends on what kind of pressure the deer r under. for me the deer arent under much pressure and they are used to people and human scents cause i hunt only about 150 yards from my aunts house and it is right on the dive way with the house in sight. so i guess there is not much that surprises the deer. although they have been spoked by my scent before. i have yet to be sucessful though just because it hasnt came together yet but i am getting there. so as long as you practice good scent control and use slow movements you should be ok[:D]
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Its nonsense to think that you cant kill a deer from a 15ft stand when people kill deer from the ground all the time. It all just depends on the terain your huntin. Personally, I dont even like bein 20ft off the ground, in some instances it would be better to be up that high, but if youve got good cover you can be 6 feet off the ground and have success. just be smart with your stand placement and youll be fine 

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:12 pm

I hunt almost exclusively from a 15' version of the Hunter's View Buddy stand.  It has a shooting rail over which I place camo fabric.  Here is a picture of one of them:

I have 5 of those buddy stands on the property. 

Deer will occasionally look up, but they seldom show recognition.

Occasionally I'll get busted from scent, but I doubt the height of the stand is to blame for that. This usually happens on the stands that are on hillsides.  A difference of 5,10,or 15 feet will not save you if the wind is blowing right, and the deer come on the up-hill side of the stand and you're practically eye- level to them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:29 am

I don't think stand height has much to do with it. I hunt from 15 foot stand or on the ground and I have had success both way. Just remember the higher you are the farther the fall!
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:15 pm

I have 2 Fox Hound 1-man ladder stands that are 15 feet high and a larger Big Game Partner Plus ladder stand that is 15 feet high also,I have shot many Deer out of each of them and I shot a nice 6-Point Buck out of an older climbing stand and I was only about 10-12 feet off the ground with good cover on both sides of me when I shot that Buck.Good cover and scent control means more when hunting Whitetails than anything else! [;)]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:12 pm

I have several of the 15' stands . Bought them on sale at Dick's sporting Goods when they had them on sale for $50 and a $10 coupon . Can't go wrong for $40 ! The newer ones have an adjustable support bar that goes from the tree to the stand . You can't beat them for $40 !!!
Same as posted above . I have hunted from the ground to 20' and have had good luck . Concealment is what is important !
Semper Fi !

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:32 am

Many times when talking hunting with people, the topic of stands will frequently come up.  Inevitably, some guy will beat his chest and talk about some great stand that he has which is 35 feet (or something ridiculous) off the ground.  I swear some people like to just brag about how cool they are getting so high off the ground. The size of the racks of the bucks they shoot probably grow 10 inches with every re-telling of their hunting stories too! 

I'd offer the argument that there is a point of diminishing returns when getting up higher in the tree.  I'm sure there is a point where the shot angles become too steep.  I'd also venture a guess that the radius around the tree in which you need them to be within possibly diminishes.

IMO, 15 feet is about perfect.  20 feet is probably the max that you'd ever need.  It's all about picking trees that assist in breaking up your outline.  Pick a tree and check out all the angles that you expect deer to see it from.  It's best to have someone with you sitting in the stand while you do this but you can still get a good idea by yourself.  The worst thing you can do is silhouette yourself against the sky.  Personally, I rarely, if ever, pick a tree that doesn't have another tree right next to it.  This way, I can use the second tree as a place to install hooks and as something to hide behind as deer approach. 

I had a stand at one time that was just relatively large hunk of plywood wedged in between multiple trunks of a large tree.  The stand was only about chest high and overlooked a pathway that ran along a creek.  I had room to keep a metal folding chair in this stand.  It was great. The big trunks provided awesome cover.  Shot my first every bow kill deer from this stand.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions