15' Ladder STands

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeanoZ

RE: 15' Ladder STands

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:41 am

I agree, if you have cover your good to go.

Goose, Viper and a few others covered the critical factor...if your going to place a stand in what amounts to a tree that looks like a telephone pole, your probably going to get busted...deer do look up and they have great peripheral vision as well, so just because your perpendicular to them don't think for one minute they can't see whats going on on either side of them.  Make sure your in a stand that breaks up your outline, trees with branches and saddles in them are great for doing this, you just have to try and get into the canopy.  If you take advantage of cover concealment, control your scent and hunt the wind, it won't matter if your 5 ft or 15ft off the ground.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:49 am

I find that ladder stands work well in skinny trees that you could not climb easily, but they can be hard to cover up in.

I used a little trick to spruce up my 12' ladder stands. I found an old artificial Christmas tree and used it. I wrapped the upper frame of the stand in some of the branches. I also drilled holes in some scrap wood, stuck the artificial limbs in them and strapped them to the tree above the seat.

It looks a little silly to see those "pine" branches up in a skinny elm, but the deer do not know any better. It as cheap works very well.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 am

JPH,

I've also used that same technique but I did it with my older wooden ladder stands.  Worked really well.  As a side note, you can use this same technique when building some ground blinds.  Fake Christmas tree limbs offer some nice thick cover. 

If you don't have a fake Christmas tree, go into some of the craft stores.  They sell all sorts of fake plants.  Some come in vine format.  A few of these vines work really well as wrap around the ladder stand legs.  Another thing you can buy in these craft stores is bags of fake leaves.  Combine that with some small safety pins.....instant cheap "Sneaky Leaf"!! 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:26 pm

living in the city it was my "job" to collect the thrown out fake trees for the deer camp.that and swivel chairs for the stands.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:18 am

15 foot is plenty - so is 12.  It's more about being quiet and limiting movement than it is about how high you are.  Our best stand - 10 foot.  I tend to place our stands so that they're on the backside of the tree facing away from where the deer will be coming.  This allows me a bit more freedom of movement - it's just a matter of shooting around the tree which isn't that hard.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:25 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

15 foot is plenty - so is 12.  It's more about being quiet and limiting movement than it is about how high you are.  Our best stand - 10 foot.  I tend to place our stands so that they're on the backside of the tree facing away from where the deer will be coming.  This allows me a bit more freedom of movement - it's just a matter of shooting around the tree which isn't that hard.

its funny you should mention this because I JUST started doing this and it really does make a difference in helping to break up your outline

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:40 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

its funny you should mention this because I JUST started doing this and it really does make a difference in helping to break up your outline

My brother thinks I'm nuts - but as someone who has a hard time sitting still I believe it helps quite a bit.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 am

the main thing u dont want is to be siloweted
guys think the higher they are the better but if they are siloweted than they stil will see you
if you are 15 ft and not siloweted (or however u spell it) than u are fine

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 am

15' is plenty high for me. In fact 12' is more the limit for me. At some point I developed a fear of heights. As you get older, self preservation becomes a higher priorityImage!!!!

Also, the shot angle becomes more and more difficult. I agree that stand placement is the priority, not the height.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Previous

Return to General Discussions