A successful Friday

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
keystonehunter

A successful Friday

Postby keystonehunter » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:44 am

Hello everyone! Well, if you read my previous posts I mentioned I was going back to the swamp on Friday to try and redeem my miss a week before.  Got to my stand before light. Patchy snow on the ground but a snow squal came through around 9:00 giving everything a 1/2" coating. Ideal conditions, no sun, cloudy, no glare to deal with. Wind was variable and seemed to shift direction all morning.
I could hear the deer moving around in the marsh, ice breaking, branches snapping. To give you perspective, I was only 40-50 yards from them but no way I can see them.
Then around 11:30, I see movement to my left, and here comes a buck out of the swamp, quartering away from me, about 35 yards away. Why he came out, who knows? I think something bigger made him come out.
Anyway, I can see he's a shooter right away. ( 4 pt. APR in Pa). I need to shoot quick because of the brush. (Here one second, gone the next). I get a good sight picture on his shoulder and squeeze off the shot from the .45/70. He goes down instantly but gets back up and slowly moves away from me. I know the shot was true and he's not really going anywhere, but he was headed toward the deeper water and I didn't want to take the chance of him falling in and going under! So I shoot again, this time high on the other shoulder and that was it. A seven point, not a booner by any means but feels like he was in my mind. Sorry guys, no pics ( ya, pretty stupid, left the camera at home. Would have taken him home, but I was flying out the same night and had to get him directly to the butcher).
So, that's the story. I know that there are more mature bucks in the swamp , but they are very reluctant to move out of that security in the daylight.
Oh well, it feels good to stick with a plan and have it come through.  Everyone have a  great Christmas and New Year!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Demoderby4

RE: A successful Friday

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:12 pm

Great story Keystone congrats on the buck! Any buck that you work hard to get is a trophy in my mind, its always rewarding when something works out just the way you wanted and prepared it to, i love that feeling, although it doesn't happen much for me [:D] good luck the rest of the season if you go out anymore, im still trying to fill a buck tag lol!

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm glad someones filling tags, I've had 3 weeks of crappy weather (strong winds & rain)!!! Congrats on the buck and happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:06 am

Congrats, well done!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:20 am

Congratulations - persistance pays off.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:35 am

good shootin
congrats on the buck

Return to General Discussions