I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
matterhan

I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

Postby matterhan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Hello all.  Was out hunting late muzzleloader today.  Long story short I took a 100 yard shot at a nice buck.  He was quartering away.  It was getting dark quickly, when the smoke cleared he was gone.  Shooting a TC Triumph it is zeroed in at 100 yards.  I had a good rest on an apple tree.  SO i gave it half an hour.  Went up looking for him after dark with my mag light.  No gun.  Anyway I spotted him with my flashlight beam.  He looked hurt but was standing up.  Head was hung a little low and he did not run.  I immediatly backed away from him.  Now what do I do.  If he is gut shot how long till he dies?  The fact that I was within 30 yard of him and he did not run makes me think he was hit hard.  I cant really go back after him and shoot after dark with a light.  DEC police would not really like that I think.  So I am thinking he will have to wait overnight.  Will he be dead?  Will he try to move or bed down?  Im going nuts and will never sleep this is going to be one long night!

Goose

RE: I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

Postby Goose » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Don't go until morning. If he is dead already it will not hurt anything. If he isn't dead you might lose him. Sounds like hes hit hard so hopefully hell bed right back down. The way it sounds to me hell be laying within 50-100yds of were you saw him. Good luck and keep us updated. When in doubt back out.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Hey there matterhan,
First thing...take a deep breath....

I'm assuming the temps will be cool enough to let him lay overnight.  Let's assume he's hit a bit far back.  He should bed down very close to where you last saw him.

It will be a long night for you, but I STRONGLY suggest you don't go back tonight.  If he's gut shot, that will do nothing but push him.

Hopefully, he shouldn't be far from where you last saw him.

Please keep us posted.  Be sure to reply and let us all know how it turns out.

Regardless of what you find at first light tomorrow, spend as much of the day loooking for him. 

Good luck!!  I'll toss a prayer up for ya!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Do what they said, they're both rite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks guys,  the adrenaline has subsided and clearer thinking now.  I am thinking he will bed back down.  I will post back here when i go find him in the morning.  The kicker of this whole situation is he was right across the road from my house.  He literally could be laying 200 yards from my couch where I sit and type this.

CoG

Postby CoG » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Relax and feel confident you'll have him in the morn.  Chances are you will.  I'd suggest like the others and wait the night out and start your search at first light.  If he's hit at all, as it seems, he will be dead by morning and should be within 100 yards or so of where you saw him in the dark.  Also, by working in the morning you are less likely to miss tracking sign.  Try to sleep, try to relax, and believe that you'll have him in the morning, because in all likelihood you probably will.  Keep us updated and g'luck!
-Benny

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 pm

I also wanted to mention, you did the right thing by immediately backing out once you saw him. 

Oh.....try to find one (at most two) experienced buddies who can help you track.  Any more than that could mess up the trail.

If, by some reason, you don't find him after several hours of looking, then get everyone you know to help.

......and be sure to take pictures to share with your D&DH Forum family.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woody

Postby Woody » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Glad to hear you are gonna wait it out. It is for sure the right thing to do. Good Luck in the morning! Keep us posted.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:48 pm

Speaking from experience, absolutly wait until morning!! The last thing you want to do is push him!! That is a lesson I learned the hard way [:(]!!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Not much more I can say; Seems everyone else here summed it up pretty well.  Good luck and keep at it...Find him in the morning hopefully!

Next

Return to General Discussions