I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Outstanding advice above!^^^^^

You have nothing to gain by going in tonight. It sounds as if he is dead, but why risk it?

My guess is that if he was only 30 yds. from the hit, 30 min. after, he had bedded and stood up when you saw him. Since you made the rt. choice and backed out, he most likely bedded again.

If he is gut shot, he may take as long as 12 hrs. to die. But he will bed down and become too stiff to jump/run if you leave him until morning.

As was said above, I would enlist 1 or 2 experienced helpers. You take the lead with your gun at the ready. Let them spot and mark blood while using soft voices and hand signals. Be ready to finish your deer if need be, but I'm guessing you won't need to.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:24 pm

i agree with everything said. theres no harm in waiting til morning, its the right move. good luck to ya and let us know how it goes

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Yeah i would def. wait until morning, these guys are all right. My dad lost a doe lat year on opening day, he should of waited to check on her but we followed the trail 20 mins after he shot (against my judgement of waiting until the end of the day) and we spooked her and we never did find her :/ its a terrible feeling, i felt so bad for my dad, i don't like seeing anyone i care about like that. I don't say that to scare u lol, i just say it because u did the right thing by backing off and waiting until morning, sounds like you should be able to track it down! though, good luck!

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:07 am

Found him!  More to come later and pics if i can figure out how.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:16 am

Congrats cant wait to see the pics. Good decision to wait it out all night where did you end up hitting him.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:35 am

Cool! He must not have gone very far, but waiting is always the best choice when there is any doubt (unless snow/rain are an issue).

I'd love to hear the whole story and see the photos. Congratulations!

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:42 am

Here are some pics.

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:00 am

As you can see the coyotes got him a bit.  The hit was far back but he was hard quartering away, so it turned out to be a pretty decent shot.  He died 30 yards from the shot. He did not really bleed.  The snow should have made it an easy track.  But it was not necessary.  I spotted him with my Binocs very quickly.  This whole scenario unfolded right across the road from my house.  150 yards from my living room. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:00 am

Coyotes! [:@]

Really sorry about that, but I still hold that waiting was the right choice. Better to loose a little meat than risk loosing the whole deer. He's a solid buck. Congratulations!

Where did you hit him? What kind of sign did he leave? How far did he go?

Edit: I see you were answering some of my questions as I was posting them. [:)]

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:07 am

Damn coyotes!!!!!!!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions