I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
matterhan

RE: I need some advice. Help me sleep tonight!

Postby matterhan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:24 am

Yeah I may have to shoot some of those things this winter.  Most of the meat is salvageable though.

Woody

Postby Woody » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:18 am

Congrats! Nice buck. I agree with JPH that waiting was for sure the right thing to do. Glad that it worked out. You will definitely have to go after some of them yotes this winter.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 ft. closer to God.

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 am

Congratulations, very nice late season buck. Well done on the decision to wait it out it was worth it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:18 am

Congrats...Nice buck!  Maybe you'll have to take up coyote hunting in the off-season! :D

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:41 am

Congrats on a great buck ! thats to bad about the coyotes Image In the end you did the right thing. How long do you think before he died?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:22 am

DAMN coyotes
hey good thing is just another reason to shoot the damn things right( coyotes)
ive goten 2 of those things this year i havent hunted them in a while but i need to
and some people sya they arent a problem
congrats on the deer man
that  must have been a relief

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 am

matterhan,
Dude!  I am so happy for you!  It may sound wierd, but I was thinking about this all night.

Way to go!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

matterhan

Postby matterhan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks everybody for the advice and thoughts last night.  The more I thought last night the more I relaxed.  I knew he was dead.  I worried about the coyotes but figured they might chew on it a little bit but it is better than loosing it buy chasing him off.  Now the decision, full shoulder, European or just skull plate.  It is only my second buck and first with a muzzleloader.  My only other buck is on the wall full shoulder.  He is bigger than this one.  Not sure what to do.   I am sure glad I passed on the 2 dozen shot opportunities I had on smaller bucks this year.  This deer completes my hattrick.  1 doe with a bow, 1 doe with a gun and now this guy with smokepole.  So happy to have taken 1 in all 3 seasons. 

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:00 am

that is cool and those damn yotes are nothing but trouble.[:D]
and congrats on the nice buck
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:35 am

ORIGINAL: matterhan

Now the decision, full shoulder, European or just skull plate.  It is only my second buck and first with a muzzleloader.  My only other buck is on the wall full shoulder.  He is bigger than this one.  Not sure what to do.   I am sure glad I passed on the 2 dozen shot opportunities I had on smaller bucks this year.  This deer completes my hattrick.  

It certainly sounds like it was a special hunt to end a special season. IMO, That alone makes it worth the cost of a shoulder mount if you have the money. Euros are really neat as well and there is nothing wrong with a classy antler plaque, but I'd have it done by a pro.

Lastly, I suggest caping out the deer no matter what you choose to do. A lot of taxidermists will buy the cape from you as a way to defray the cost of a euro or antler plaque.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions