Age does it matter

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Age does it matter

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 am

Hey guys im 17
and i have noticed that people think that because im young that i dont know what im talking about
Obviously i am not the best hunter in the world and im only 17 and have an awful lot to learn
but what really gets to me is ive shot 2 big deer since hunting on my own both 8 pointers one with a shotgun and one with a bow
i have shot 3 other deer besides those 2
but i constantly get people who treat me like i dont know what im doing
i have no problem with learning new things from people
but its just there aditude and it makes me feel that i have to defend my hunting abilities
does any one have these problems

JPH

RE: Age does it matter

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 am

dxthunter57, I know that several of my posts have made refrence to your age. I wan't to make it clear that I think it's great that you are taking such an intreast in hunting and conservation. You are WAY ahead of where I was at 17. Come to think of it, you are most likely ahead of where I was at 27.

But yes, your age does matter. Not that you can't be a successful hunter at 17. Apparently you are, but so much of hunting is about the collection of experiences that have nothing to do with killing "big bucks". Hunting is a lot more about NOT killing deer. I know that does not make sense, but it will someday.

I killed my first "big buck" when I was 24. A 152", 12 point with a bow. That was enough to convince me that I was a great hunter. God decided to allow me to spend the next six seasons learning how that was not the case. I do not wish the kind of lessons I had to learn on anyone, but we all have to learn 'em.

I'm gald that you post here. I enjoy "talking" to you. I am sorry if I treat you like you're my kid brother sometimes. It's not personal, I'm just coming at this from a differnt perspective.

And it never really ends. Watch how Woods Walker responds to some of my posts. It can take on a kind of fatherly tone. There is a bit of "you little smart-ass" between the lines. But that's a right he has earned because he is senior to me and he DOES know more because of it.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:36 am

no it is not anything directed towards you guys
its mostly about the people when i go to check in a deer
or when i go to the sporting goods store in town

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:39 am

JPH
i know and i enjoy talkign with you and everyone else on here
i mean i dont want to come across as a kid who only cares about killing big bucks
just hunting and being out there is what i love about it
i know i have alot to learn im not sayin i dont
but people dont give me any credit

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:42 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

Hey guys im 17
and i have noticed that people think that because im young that i dont know what im talking about
Obviously i am not the best hunter in the world and im only 17 and have an awful lot to learn
but what really gets to me is ive shot 2 big deer since hunting on my own both 8 pointers one with a shotgun and one with a bow
but its just there aditude and it makes me feel that i have to defend my hunting abilities

Discounting what our youth have to say is one of the biggest mistakes we older people make.  We tend to believe that our years of experience gives us a greater store of knowledge and wisdom than younger people.  And in many instances that may well be true, but not always and not in all circumstances.  And it should never be used as a reason for not listening to what young people such as yourself have to say, nor discounting your opinions as not having the same weight or importance as ours. 

Thinking back to when I was 17, yeah there was a lot I still had to learn, and I still do.  But I wasn't stupid, and I also had a lot to contribute when people were willing to give me a chance. 

State your opinions, share your knowledge, do so in a mature, well reasoned manner and people will come to listen to what you have to say.  But also remember, that listening and agreement are two different things, and as you can tell by many of the threads here, agreement is not always easy or possible.

Best of luck, don't get discouraged by us old people, and keep posting.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:43 am

no it is not anything directed towards you guys
its mostly about the people when i go to check in a deer
or when i go to the sporting goods store in town

Who cares about those jokers? It is ALWAYS best to be underestimated. Take the tension out of those shoulders and let them feel superior. You are not in this to proove yourself to anyone, let alone some flunky in a sporting goods store.

I take my photos into Wal-Mart to be printed off. I always get the same guy in the photo lab. He likes to score my deer in the pictures and remark about broken tines etc. Last time I came in, he told me not to feel too bad about "just killing a doe". I used to dread him, but now i actually look forward to it. It's good for a laugh.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:14 am

people of confuse age and experience.as long your learning and doing thats all that matters.enjoy your youth it disappears in a blink of the eye
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:56 am

ya thats true JPH
i usually just let it slide and say whatever
but it just gets over whelming i guess

Southern Man

Postby Southern Man » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:17 am

One of the major differences in age is that fact that you realise it doesn't matter what people think...to a point. Obviously everyone wants respect, but that comes with time. It has to be earned. Apparently you're doing something right, keep it up. And don't worry about us old guys. Ever heard the sayiing..."Let the dogs howl, the caravan's moving on".....
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:39 am

Hey guys im 17

I can tell you categorically that you don't know what you're talking about. But then again, I'm fifty, and I don't know what I'm talking about. Nobody else here does. Don't sweat it.  Just call them as you see them, and don't be afraid to speak your mind.  Think of this as "Deer Hunters Anonymous."  All you have to do is show up and admit that you hunt deer.

Folks disagree with me all the time.  They're right. I'm right.  I don't see their world. I can only speak from mine. 

In the end, we're all like the blind monks groping the elephant. One feels a snake, the other a tree trunk etc.  I will tell you honestly: most guys who claim to be an expert on whitetail deer are either self-deluded  or trying to sell you something. The louder they proclaim it, the more you should wonder.

The one fellow I know who is an undisputed master of the shooting sports is as plain as you or I. He has cartridges named for him, but still gets tripped up occasionally.  I have another acquaintance who used to read Elmer Keith's copy before it went to press. Some pieces were drivel -- even Elmer had to scratch his head to figure out what he was trying to say.  I have hunted with great masters of turkey hunting. They were distinctly human and  could get fooled by a loud-mouthed jake or get surprised by a gob just the same as I. 

Deer hunters?  The guy who told me that bucks prod does with their antlers to send them out ahead to scout had a score of deer to his credit. However, he thought smoking a pipe attracted deer to his stand. Who knows? Maybe it does.  I smoked Cherry Cavendish for several seasons before I gave up and wrote off the advice. All I got was snorts.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions